Love of Live (part två)

If I remember correctly, they didn't play it. But they did play "Vi Svartnar" which is one of my favourites and I was really surprised that they did it.

Not that surprising I'd say; they've played it at every show since the reunion. Not that I'm complaining though, definitely one of my favourites from the album as well. Though I would kill to hear something like "Jag Tror På Allt" or "I Evighet", that would be grand! :worship:

Amon Amarth will be here next Saturday, I'm not too excited about it but oh well, I'm still going. Do you happen to have the setlist?

Y que mierda que no pudieras ir al de Heaven and Hell :(, yo moriría de felicidad si ellos vinieran acá.

Good thing not to be really exited. I'll write the setlist later but to be honest I don't remember each song played - specially the new ones - since they played almost 2 hours and I felt very bored somewhere on the middle of the show.

About H&H...Tuve un accidente. My both arms, my left wrist and part of my back were severely injured past friday morning (yeah, the same fucking day :( ). I'm still on rehab but better...(I have to, cause I'll play live this friday and saturday :rofl:).

Svarthjärtad;8262249 said:
The Amon Amarth show I didn't go to . I don't like them. I don't find them very "viking metal". The songtexts might be, but the music reminds me of Lamb of God meets Arch Enemy and who in the hell wants that? My opionion though, don't hate me! :S

I though something very similar the past week when I saw them live. Even I went out of the theater to drink something on the middle of the show :rofl: (I went just cause a girl who is AA fan invited me to the gig). Maybe Defiance will join us on this matter the next week.

Good thing not to be really exited. I'll write the setlist later but to be honest I don't remember each song played - specially the new ones - since they played almost 2 hours and I felt very bored somewhere on the middle of the show.

About H&H...Tuve un accidente. My both arms, my left wrist and part of my back were severely injured past friday morning (yeah, the same fucking day :( ). I'm still on rehab but better...(I have to, cause I'll play live this friday and saturday :rofl:).

Ah OK no problemo amigo ;) . Oh damn that sucks, I hope that you're doing fine now :(

Svarthjärtad;8262249 said:
The Amon Amarth show I didn't go to . I don't like them. I don't find them very "viking metal". The songtexts might be, but the music reminds me of Lamb of God meets Arch Enemy and who in the hell wants that? My opionion though, don't hate me! :S

I though something very similar the past week when I saw them live. Even I went out of the theater to drink something on the middle of the show :rofl: (I went just cause a girl who is AA fan invited me to the gig). Maybe Defiance will join us on this matter the next week.

Look, to be honest, I hate Amon Amarth. They're probably one of the most over-rated bands of the moment. Most of the women who will go to the gig here will go because the guys are tall, Viking and have a huge beard; so that will help in some girl's wet dreams. My girl and a friend of her are going just to see the guys, not the band.

I fucking hate that to be honest. The other day, a friend asked the other girl "which is your favourite AA album?" to which she replied "hmm…uhmmm… oh well, g2g".

Really, I loathe that. I heard the new album and don't see what the heck is the deal with this band! It's not like they are terrible, because they aren't, but they're not as good as some people say.

IMO a lot of people listen to AA because they want to feel connected to Norse culture, i.e. they want to be Vikings and kill the Latino blood in the
them. And I've seen this a lot of times, people saying how excellent Vikings are, not knowing a heck about them and being ashamed of their Latino blood.

Maybe Allfader can tell us something about this, I don't know if it's the same in Chile.

I'm going to that gig only because we get a damn gig every 3 or 4 months.

Heck, even Los Fabulosos Cadillacs will be better than AA, and I won't miss the former even if I die :D .

Ah OK no problemo amigo ;) . Oh damn that sucks, I hope that you're doing fine now :(

Look, to be honest, I hate Amon Amarth. They're probably one of the most over-rated bands of the moment. Most of the women who will go to the gig here will go because the guys are tall, Viking and have a huge beard; so that will help in some girl's wet dreams. My girl and a friend of her are going just to see the guys, not the band.

I fucking hate that to be honest. The other day, a friend asked the other girl "which is your favourite AA album?" to which she replied "hmm…uhmmm… oh well, g2g".

Really, I loathe that. I heard the new album and don't see what the heck is the deal with this band! It's not like they are terrible, because they aren't, but they're not as good as some people say.

IMO a lot of people listen to AA because they want to feel connected to Norse culture, i.e. they want to be Vikings and kill the Latino blood in the
them. And I've seen this a lot of times, people saying how excellent Vikings are, not knowing a heck about them and being ashamed of their Latino blood.

Maybe Allfader can tell us something about this, I don't know if it's the same in Chile.

I'm going to that gig only because we get a damn gig every 3 or 4 months.

Heck, even Los Fabulosos Cadillacs will be better than AA, and I won't miss the former even if I die :D .

I'm doing well with my injuries, thanx a lot. You don't know how much I regret to not attend the gig, being Dio one of my fav singers of all time and the best BS line up IMO.

About the AA hype, LOL. It's the fucking same here. The girl that invited me masturbates herself watching their pics/videos/dvds/whatever, but she knows every song of them (at least that's a good point). The gig was flooded with girls, but as you said, the most of them went to see the guys more than to hear their music.

I don't care so much about AA (I'm not bashing'em at all). I think AA is not a good way to be 'connected with the norse culture', they even don't sound viking at all. I prefer to read instead to hear AA to know more about the Norse mythology (I'm currently reading some Icelandic sagas, truly great stuff).

I don't know how is the 'latin proud' on CR, but here just at the very south of the country remains some Chilean proud (and myself at the middle of it). I love scandinavian culture, myth, etx but I'm extremely proud of my land, my ancestors and our history (specially my family's history, something really relevant and known here), being something really weird here at my hometown.

At the south of Chile there's a considerable amount of german population. They do the Oktoberfest here too, make excellent beer and keep some german traditions very well, but the chileans who live with them or near them feel more Chilean than anyone else. I lived there too some years and you can tell the difference. They learned good things from the germans and they still are 'themselves'.

Since the Capital to the north Chileans try to be anything, excepting Chileans (Vikings-any medieval kind alike, japanese - they call themselves PROUDLY otakus, being a derogatory term on Japan :rofl: -, Gringo, etx, usually being total ignorants, lacking personality and/or individuality...it's atrocious. As an example, a guy at an after party told me that the elves and dwarves were invented by Tolkien; even worse, he said: there are 'light' elves, 'dark' elves and dwarves - his dark elves were the dark haired and grey skinned kind of elves..holy shit).

The worst part of the story is that those europeans/gringos/asians wannabe discriminate the originary people. I'm descendant from the most famous tribe (mapuches - roughly translated as "people from the land", called "araucanos" too - people from Arauco a southern region where they live) and, while I don't look like an 'indian' at all, I suffered the same, usually on governmental offices (I belong to the 'ethnical population', always said on a derogatory tone for them)

Useless trivia: I saw the Fabulosos Cadillacs live back on 96. Excellent prog rock ska/reggae music and they were fucking solid. Flavio - the bassist - was awesome doing some funk solos alas Victor wooten or Les Claypool.

DEFIANCE:

I agree 110%!!!! First of all, I really don't know why people feel connected to Scandinavia from Amon Amarth. I haven't heard all of their albums, but what songtexts I've read, it's something that anybody can write and topping it with Melodeath. The worst! I don't even see them as good looking(not to sound gay or anything), but if you ask me... they look and they sound like shit. Hehe. If you read the texts of Otyg, you really have to be in Sweden to get what he's saying, AA... you can just look in a history book to find out what they did. Hehe.

To be quite honest, I feel very ashamed of who I am. Because of AA people look at the vikings to be gods and Norway/Sweden as like the "holy land" for Black Metal. You have no fucking clue to how many people ask me to say the same shit all of the time. "DUH... ummm... how do you say snow or frost or forests or satan?"
Not that I don't like the vikings, I do. But it is bands and people like this that exploit it that makes me feel like an idiot. I am proud of who I am, but really... anymore... I don't give a rats ass. I'm mostly proud of just where I am from, the culture, the scenery, the folktales.
This has been getting on my nerves for quite some time now and I have been bitching about it quite often lately. I love it here in USA, I really do. But, some of the fucking people here are stupid. A lot of the times, I feel that some of BM people that I am friends with or even aquentencees with only like me for being from this "holy land".
I just want to scream at them and maybe hit them with a rock. England, Estonia, Russia, Ukraine, etc... has great bands as well. And the South American scene is buldging with WONDERFUL bands!
I don't think it'd really bother me as much if they were truely interested in things, but also proud of theirselves as well. Like Norrsken! I've been sending her Swedish lessons(which this past week, I failed to write lessons up. I'M SORRY!) because I know that she's truely interested in learning not only the language but everything else and also, she is proud of being Italian. I find it awesome that she feels so deeply about this. I feel amazed with English(UK) culture as well, I love reading English and Hungarian stuff, more than my own sometimes. Sometimes, I suppose people can be facenated by others just as long as you don't forget and love who you are.

Sorry for that little rant. I'm drunk and not in a very good mood. :( I just hope it made sense! Hehe.

I'm doing well with my injuries, thanx a lot. You don't know how much I regret to not attend the gig, being Dio one of my fav singers of all time and the best BS line up IMO.

Me alegra que estés mejor :) . Yes, Dio is, literally, Dio! (At least more than Halford.) He came here once as Dio (not H&H), really the best concert that has ever happened in CR (besides Dark Tranquillity, though you can't really compare them.) And I got my poster singed by Rudy Sarzo! :headbang: (hehe I was so nervous that I forgot that I had a camera so I didn't take any pictures with him :erk: ).

About the AA hype, LOL. It's the fucking same here. The girl that invited me masturbates herself watching their pics/videos/dvds/whatever, but she knows every song of them (at least that's a good point). The gig was flooded with girls, but as you said, the most of them went to see the guys more than to hear their music.

Yes, I think that pretty much happens everywhere :rolleyes: .

I don't care so much about AA (I'm not bashing'em at all). I think AA is not a good way to be 'connected with the norse culture', they even don't sound viking at all. I prefer to read instead to hear AA to know more about the Norse mythology (I'm currently reading some Icelandic sagas, truly great stuff).

Yes, it's funny because AA, musically speaking, is not really Viking-metal, but Death with a Viking image. And really, AA is definitely not the way to get into Norse culture.

Heck, Moonsorrow is more Viking than AA… and they're Finnish! :lol:

Cool, can you post any links of the Icelandic sagas?

I don't know how is the 'latin proud' on CR, but here just at the very south of the country remains some Chilean proud (and myself at the middle of it). I love scandinavian culture, myth, etx but I'm extremely proud of my land, my ancestors and our history (specially my family's history, something really relevant and known here), being something really weird here at my hometown.

At the south of Chile there's a considerable amount of german population. They do the Oktoberfest here too, make excellent beer and keep some german traditions very well, but the chileans who live with them or near them feel more Chilean than anyone else. I lived there too some years and you can tell the difference. They learned good things from the germans and they still are 'themselves'.

Since the Capital to the north Chileans try to be anything, excepting Chileans (Vikings-any medieval kind alike, japanese - they call themselves PROUDLY otakus, being a derogatory term on Japan :rofl: -, Gringo, etx, usually being total ignorants, lacking personality and/or individuality...it's atrocious. As an example, a guy at an after party told me that the elves and dwarves were invented by Tolkien; even worse, he said: there are 'light' elves, 'dark' elves and dwarves - his dark elves were the dark haired and grey skinned kind of elves..holy shit).

The worst part of the story is that those europeans/gringos/asians wannabe discriminate the originary people. I'm descendant from the most famous tribe (mapuches - roughly translated as "people from the land", called "araucanos" too - people from Arauco a southern region where they live) and, while I don't look like an 'indian' at all, I suffered the same, usually on governmental offices (I belong to the 'ethnical population', always said on a derogatory tone for them)

Hehe damn Otakus. Oh wait, I just insulted myself :p . I understand those freaky otakus to be honest hehe, but some of them are way too freaky for my taste. I hate all these people that bow after they say anything, that doesn't even happen in Japan.

In here it's funny because CR is somewhat of a privileged country, at least compared to other Central-American ones. Do you know that around here we are called the "Central-American Switzerland?" :p It's quite accurate actually, since we're more developed than the rest of Central-America (I'm not including Panamá here), and there are more Caucasian people here than indigenous ones, and we've got places with a climate quite similar to Switzerland.

I am very proud of my Germanic/British/European ancestry, as well as of the Costa Rican one. The problem is that a lot of people here don't have European blood in them, but they try to be like that. Actually, no, that's wrong. They try to be more like gringos, eating fast-food all the time, being consumerists and having, in general, the same problems gringos have. What's worse, they find typical CRn dresses unfashionable, to the point in which it becomes a chore to wear them; and that gringos look more CRn because they're wearing "chonetes" (a typical CRn hat). Heck, I wear chonetes and I love it :D .

In here, again, most people are Caucasian because when the Spanish came here they killed most of the indigenous population of the country. I think that of the entire population of CR, only %2 is native indigenous. There are even more black people than them. That's saying a lot, considering that in most Central-American countries %80 of the population is indigenous.

I don't have one tiny bit of indigenous blood in me, but I obviously respect (some of) their traditions, and admire them for living in such a discriminatory country.

Useless trivia: I saw the Fabulosos Cadillacs live back on 96. Excellent prog rock ska/reggae music and they were fucking solid. Flavio - the bassist - was awesome doing some funk solos alas Victor wooten or Les Claypool.

Oh yes, Cadillacs rule! They were quite popular here 10 years ago but I never had the chance to see them, so now I'm quite happy because they're coming :kickass: . And yes, the bassist rules! I would say that they bass in Ska is usually more complex and detailed than the one in metal :p (although again, it depends on which metal genre we're talking about).

Svarthjärtad;8265178 said:
DEFIANCE:

I agree 110%!!!! First of all, I really don't know why people feel connected to Scandinavia from Amon Amarth. I haven't heard all of their albums, but what songtexts I've read, it's something that anybody can write and topping it with Melodeath. The worst! I don't even see them as good looking(not to sound gay or anything), but if you ask me... they look and they sound like shit. Hehe. If you read the texts of Otyg, you really have to be in Sweden to get what he's saying, AA... you can just look in a history book to find out what they did. Hehe.

To be quite honest, I feel very ashamed of who I am. Because of AA people look at the vikings to be gods and Norway/Sweden as like the "holy land" for Black Metal. You have no fucking clue to how many people ask me to say the same shit all of the time. "DUH... ummm... how do you say snow or frost or forests or satan?"
Not that I don't like the vikings, I do. But it is bands and people like this that exploit it that makes me feel like an idiot. I am proud of who I am, but really... anymore... I don't give a rats ass. I'm mostly proud of just where I am from, the culture, the scenery, the folktales.
This has been getting on my nerves for quite some time now and I have been bitching about it quite often lately. I love it here in USA, I really do. But, some of the fucking people here are stupid. A lot of the times, I feel that some of BM people that I am friends with or even aquentencees with only like me for being from this "holy land".
I just want to scream at them and maybe hit them with a rock. England, Estonia, Russia, Ukraine, etc... has great bands as well. And the South American scene is buldging with WONDERFUL bands!
I don't think it'd really bother me as much if they were truely interested in things, but also proud of theirselves as well. Like Norrsken! I've been sending her Swedish lessons(which this past week, I failed to write lessons up. I'M SORRY!) because I know that she's truely interested in learning not only the language but everything else and also, she is proud of being Italian. I find it awesome that she feels so deeply about this. I feel amazed with English(UK) culture as well, I love reading English and Hungarian stuff, more than my own sometimes. Sometimes, I suppose people can be facenated by others just as long as you don't forget and love who you are.

Sorry for that little rant. I'm drunk and not in a very good mood. :( I just hope it made sense! Hehe.

Don't worry, it made sense ;) .

And yes, I completely understand your feelings. In here it's the same, people see Norway as the land to live in "because it's cold, dark and arghhhhh Norsk Black Metal!!!!" They don't even talk about Sweden because they don't know that there were/are Vikings there too. And I do understand, really, it must be horrible to know that your fatherland is used as a cult by a bunch of imbeciles. Next time, try to explain them (calmly hehe) that Norway is not really about Norsk Black Metal. Damn Varg Vikernes hehe, I guess it's his fault :p .

I do think that AA has Viking lyrics, but to be honest I've never read them all (and I don't plan to). Otyg certainly is more Viking than AA hehe, d'oh.

Usually the people that say that Norsk Black Metal rules have no real musical taste, and I find that at least here, have not received a very good education and are probably not in the Uni.

But yes, AA is definitely all about the "Viking" image. The guys are ugly (nothing homosexual here hehe, but I agree with you. I'm much more handsome than them ;) ), and the music is quite monotonous and badly composed to be honest.

Oh well it's 00:33 here, I better continue working :p .

At the Inferno Festival in Oslo there was a "Black metal sightseeing" that me and two buddies went to. We were probably the only Norwegians there, pretty much everyone else were Italians, and they acted like retards. They stood in front of Holmenkollen Chapel acting "grim and cold" because Varg burned that church in the 90's. It was really embarrassing for us Norwegians, but we did get a few flasks of Underberg to cope with our hangover, so that helped.

People just don't realize anything. They think that you hear Emperor on the streets. Hehe. You hear hip-hop or pop!!!! Things are so very expensive and more strict. ANd yet they bitch about things being too costly and strict here. They don't know shit!
That is what I grew up to, so I'm use to it. I love it, they just don't understand!!!
They think that there are BM fans everywhere. Hehe. THere isn't. I don't know too much about NOrway, but in Sweden, we have a big Power Metal and Hair/Glam scene more than BM. And the mainstream is like techno, mostly. A lot more goth and emos!
THe older people still look down and stare at metalheads that look different. SOmetimes, even worse thatn USA.

Svarthjärtad;8265829 said:
People just don't realize anything. They think that you hear Emperor on the streets. Hehe. You hear hip-hop or pop!!!! Things are so very expensive and more strict. ANd yet they bitch about things being too costly and strict here. They don't know shit!
That is what I grew up to, so I'm use to it. I love it, they just don't understand!!!
They think that there are BM fans everywhere. Hehe. THere isn't. I don't know too much about NOrway, but in Sweden, we have a big Power Metal and Hair/Glam scene more than BM. And the mainstream is like techno, mostly. A lot more goth and emos!
THe older people still look down and stare at metalheads that look different. SOmetimes, even worse thatn USA.

Hahahaha always will be a childish view of Scandinavia from retarded tr00 kvlt svart metall fans :rofl:. Here it's really embarassing to see guys/girls wearing corpsepaint on the streets (actually not here on Valparaíso, but it happens a lot on Santiago, our capital) or the vampire-wannabe kind.

You can ignore them or be kind and explain them the real world, that the blood-covered forests where christians are impaled for a Vlad Tepes-like army don't exist.

The emos floods the streets across the whole country (called Pokémons too). I don't know where the actual youth goes, but the teenagers seem to be more 'ambiguous'. Sometimes you can't tell if someone is a guy or a girl, or while a guy looks like a guy, talk like a girl and viceversa (wtf?). Since when the gayness is something cool?? Shit.

(At least your mainstream music is better than ours, where Reggaeton, commercial suck-ass hip hop/ r&b, cumbia - don't search it :rofl: - dominate the whole local media).

Another forum I frequent on UM has a thread on the topic of the absurdities of current 'Black Metal Culture', from which I found this website:

Rate My Corpse Paint :lol:

Holy shit!!!!!!!!!! I've seen it and it's terrible!!!! (I can't stop laughing :rofl:DDDDDDDDD) The top 10 of gys is funny, the top 10 of girls is disgusting :rofl:.

At the Inferno Festival in Oslo there was a "Black metal sightseeing" that me and two buddies went to. We were probably the only Norwegians there, pretty much everyone else were Italians, and they acted like retards. They stood in front of Holmenkollen Chapel acting "grim and cold" because Varg burned that church in the 90's. It was really embarrassing for us Norwegians, but we did get a few flasks of Underberg to cope with our hangover, so that helped.

While I understand the motives that moved Varg and the others to do the church burnings, I think they were a little late; also I don't think that's something to be proud - I hear black metal since 95 more or less and I've never thought that was something really cool.

Once, I used my t-shirts very often, when black metal was more or less underground (although I've never used corpsepaint). Today I see 10-years kids with Dimmu, Immortal and/or Darkthrone t-shirts. Now they defile graves, break (usually catholic) statues/figurines, kill small animals to do their 'rituals', attack gay people, etx. They don't help to the normal metalhead at all. Now if u have some beard, long hair and you dress with dark colours, you are a metalhead and treated as any of those assholes.

Yes, it's funny because AA, musically speaking, is not really Viking-metal, but Death with a Viking image. And really, AA is definitely not the way to get into Norse culture.
Heck, Moonsorrow is more Viking than AA… and they're Finnish! :lol:

Also there's a misconception of Finland here. There's people who think they cross the seas on drakkars, think beer all the time singin some traditional folk songs, dress like 500 years ago and all people there believe in Oden.

Cool, can you post any links of the Icelandic sagas?

http://www.sagadb.org/ Great website. There are translations on several languages, including old norsk, norwegian, danish, german, english, french, etx.

Hehe damn Otakus. Oh wait, I just insulted myself :p . I understand those freaky otakus to be honest hehe, but some of them are way too freaky for my taste. I hate all these people that bow after they say anything, that doesn't even happen in Japan.

To be honest, I like a lot anime/manga. Read some manga from time to time - currently following Saint Seiya - The Lost Canvas - but happens the same shit as the svartmetall all-of-us-hail-satan fans, they are pathetic and hilarious at the same time. I can't stop laughing when I hear that broken japanese - like just using the words kawaii, ohayou, baka,arigatou (the 'experts' adding also gozaimasu), acting like cats, adding randomly -chan-kun-san, etx) or when I saw some of them with jackets fully covered with stickers from all and each of their fav anime series (not all of them, just the narutards and such). Damn :rofl:.

Some horrendous cosplay: http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/Kichigai_neko_nyo/Cosplay/

In here, again, most people are Caucasian because when the Spanish came here they killed most of the indigenous population of the country. I think that of the entire population of CR, only %2 is native indigenous. There are even more black people than them. That's saying a lot, considering that in most Central-American countries %80 of the population is indigenous.

I don't have one tiny bit of indigenous blood in me, but I obviously respect (some of) their traditions, and admire them for living in such a discriminatory country.

Here the natives are like 4,5%, 4% are Mapuches (as me) and the rest are divided on tons of surviving tribes. When spanish came to (latin) america, most of natives bowed them, or were killed. That happened until they met the Mapuches, who simply beat them to death XD. Spanish never defeated them, but they were discriminated and persecuted by the 'civilized' chileans. Still I love my homeland, the most beautiful country in the world.

Oh yes, Cadillacs rule! They were quite popular here 10 years ago but I never had the chance to see them, so now I'm quite happy because they're coming :kickass: . And yes, the bassist rules! I would say that they bass in Ska is usually more complex and detailed than the one in metal :p (although again, it depends on which metal genre we're talking about).

Flavio still kicks most of metal bassists ass.

I, as a bassist usually explore another styles to learn more, like jazz, blues, bossanova and such - Steve Bailey is my fav bassist btw. I play classic guitar too and usually I practice some compositions from Segovia, Barrios, Tárrega and such.

On metal, truly great bassists that I know are Di Giorgio, Lars K Norberg, Tyr, Sean Malone (not too metal anyway), Skoll...that's all? :rofl: there a lot of fast ones on technical death metal but that's all (probably I'm forgetting someone, but not for sure to the way overrated guys Cliff Burton and John Myung).

Metal in general is the worst way to learn music, I think it's one of the poorest styles when we look for the musical theory applied to compositions. Of course there's a lot of great music and well crafted, but a good amount of metal are just a bunch of random chords and broken progressions.

uh-oh! NO NO NO NO!
You cannot say "Metal in general is the worst way to learn music." Sure, you have BM, DM, and all of that stuff that really has nothing special about it. But if you look back at Diamond Head, Deep Purple, Randy Rhoads... those guys were true metal/classical practisioners. Randy played metal, but in the notes, you can plainly see that he also studied classical music as well. I hate to bring Eddie Van Halen in the picture(not a big fan), but if you listen to "Eruption", the work on that is very orchestreal-like.
Maybe most of metal is the worst, but let us not forget that there are still some very amazing artists even in todays world of metal.
And even Mustiis of Dimmu Borgir! That man can play/compose a musical peice that is great! That is why I mainly love Dimmu, the atmosphere that man brings into the sound. Vintersorg, himself!.. even has a lot of classical influences in his music, if you can tell. "Vålnader I Eterns Höjder" and the opening track on ödemarkens son(the acoustic work). You cannot tell me that it is not influenced by classical music.

Don't get me wrong, I think that if you're going to study music, it is best if you study Blues, Jazz, and even Progressive Rock(which is a very hard study for most people I know). Thelonious Monk, Al Di Meola, Jason Becker, etc... I think that those are really wonderful people to learn about and listen to.
That is also what I love most of Mr. V!!! When you think that all he knows is metal or folk, he turns around and realeased Waterclime and Havayoth that blows your mind out of the water and you sit there and you are amazed. You never know what that man is going to do(or master) next! Classical, folk, rock, progressive, metal, acid jazz, psychedelic, and more!

Saying that metal is just about broken progressions is right to a small degree. It's creative though! Random chords? ummm.... with some bands, yes! That you're right about!

I HATE PEOPLE THAT GIVE EVERYBODY ELSE A BAD NAMN! You know, these mother fuckers destroy shit and us(the other guys)... we get the blame. I don't care if it is a Christian monument or not. I may joke around about take a axe to it, but I have more respect for stuff like that. These kids laugh at me and think of me as a poser because I help the local church. I help the elderly with what they are doing, NOT THE CHURCH! Last month, the local church holds a feast. I baked cookies and bread for the event. There is a lot of elderly people there that cannot bake, so I bake and donate to the church... FOR THE PEOPLE! That is respect!
I am not a Christian, I hate Christianity... but I have respect for others. This is what I hate about metal kids today. It is all about extremes anymore. Everybody wants to be the Varg Vikernes or Ozzy of their town - by destroying monuments, burning churches, beating people up that are different. FUCK THAT BULLSHIT!
I am not gay, don't understand it and I feel weird around them. But!... I will gladly hold a respectable conversations with them as I will with just about anybody. That is why everybody loves me, I show a lot of respect. Kids today, they look at the world around them, not the world at large. They have no job or if so, they don't have much.. they don't know life yet. I don't even know what life is, and I've been a hard-working person since I was 18 years. I feel I grew up too fast for my own good sometimes! Hehehehe.
They also laugh because what I do for a living(outside of music). I am an L.P.N. which is a Licensed Practical Nurse. Hehe. I have to admit, that it isn't the most common thing for a Metalhead guy, but what they don't know, is that HEY... it brings food to my table! Fuck it, I don't give a shit what I have to do. If I have to wipe asses to get that steak and shrimp with a martini at the end of the day. OH WELL!

Gah! Get better! Soon!

Svart,
I saw Tyr a couple of months ago, and they just put on an awesome show. Easily one of the best shows I've seen in the past year or so, especially since a fair bit of the crowd split after Alestorm. So, we also had room to move!

I'm seeing Paganest this Thursday, with Korpiklaani and Primordial, and I think I'll enjoy it, but I'm not that enthused. I misread my schedule, and it turns out that the show is after both work and a night class - so I'm going to be tired. (But at least a classmate is going to give me a ride there.) Plus, probably no seats left, either. (Yes, I sit at metal shows. *shakes crutch at all you younguns!*)

Wow. Just...wow. This annoys the everliving piss out of me.

Not your statement - that is fine. Graphic, but completely OK.

No, it's the behavior of the 'girls'. As a 'girl', I listen to metal for the music, and go to shows for the music. (OK, I do have my share of wallpapers, but usually after I LOLcat them, because face it - metal bands are FUNNY!) While they certainly have the right to like whatever they want in the music and/or go to the concerts for any reason, it just then reflects badly on the rest of us, and it makes it look like that any woman into metal is because the guys are hot - not because they have a sincere love for the music.

But then again, I also get gruff sometimes because I dress like 'one of the guys' when I go to a show instead of primping out in a corset and fishnets. (Which I don't even own!)

(On yeah - I can't really get into AA; I've tried...and it just doesn't hook me. I'll stay with Otyg, thanks. Though I do have a friend who loves them.)

To give AA some credit; I know we've been bashing them for a while now, so I just wanted to speak up.
I really like AA, would ALMOST go as far as to say I love them. But to get it straight, it is purely because of the music and not because of the viking image. I think AA are about as true vikings as Manowar!
What I like about the music is the mix of the heavy riffing and the very happy guitar melodies they have used a lot on the later albums (especially Fate of Norns and up).
About wether or not they are truly vikings in their lyrics; AA themselves have said that they're not in any way trying to educate us about the viking ways, rather they are writing about their own everyday life, and just put it in the viking context to fit the "image" of the band. So if you are looking for a history lesson or historical accuracy, then yes, you should probably look elsewhere. It is not their intent to be educational.
Plus, they do not even confess to Asatro or any other pagan religion; as far as they themselves say they are just your normal everyday non-believers.

Plus, probably no seats left, either. (Yes, I sit at metal shows. *shakes crutch at all you younguns!*)

Wow, is that even a possibility? Must be an American thing... Strange Americans... :rolleyes:

Wow, is that even a possibility? Must be an American thing... Strange Americans... :rolleyes:

Nope - not even an American thing - just a Studio 7 club in Seattle, WA thing.

They have two floors - the main floor, which is standing room only, and a balcony which is 21+. (This *is* an American thing, BTW, the drinking age). The balcony has a rail, where you can sit and watch the show. I like it because I can't walk well, and I can still enjoy the concert without pain or exhaustion. So, it works in my favor :loco:.

Svarthjärtad;8266382 said:
uh-oh! NO NO NO NO!
You cannot say "Metal in general is the worst way to learn music." Sure, you have BM, DM, and all of that stuff that really has nothing special about it. But if you look back at Diamond Head, Deep Purple, Randy Rhoads... those guys were true metal/classical practisioners. Randy played metal, but in the notes, you can plainly see that he also studied classical music as well. I hate to bring Eddie Van Halen in the picture(not a big fan), but if you listen to "Eruption", the work on that is very orchestreal-like.
Maybe most of metal is the worst, but let us not forget that there are still some very amazing artists even in todays world of metal.
And even Mustiis of Dimmu Borgir! That man can play/compose a musical peice that is great! That is why I mainly love Dimmu, the atmosphere that man brings into the sound. Vintersorg, himself!.. even has a lot of classical influences in his music, if you can tell. "Vålnader I Eterns Höjder" and the opening track on ödemarkens son(the acoustic work). You cannot tell me that it is not influenced by classical music.

Don't get me wrong, I think that if you're going to study music, it is best if you study Blues, Jazz, and even Progressive Rock(which is a very hard study for most people I know). Thelonious Monk, Al Di Meola, Jason Becker, etc... I think that those are really wonderful people to learn about and listen to.
That is also what I love most of Mr. V!!! When you think that all he knows is metal or folk, he turns around and realeased Waterclime and Havayoth that blows your mind out of the water and you sit there and you are amazed. You never know what that man is going to do(or master) next! Classical, folk, rock, progressive, metal, acid jazz, psychedelic, and more!

Saying that metal is just about broken progressions is right to a small degree. It's creative though! Random chords? ummm.... with some bands, yes! That you're right about!

Look, I listen more metal than any other kind of music.

I said 'a good amount of'... that's not the vast majority of them. Also I include all metal bands, not just the big names. As an example : The ridiculous amount of thrash and old school death metal bands, which most of them sucks and use the random chords and broken progressions that I was talking about and/or steal some well known compositions from another bands.

Also I said there are really great musicians/bands on metal on an enough quantity to enjoy almost any metal style (well, we are on the Vintersorg forum, one of my top musicians all time, specially for his versatility on vast musical areas). Maybe I generalized a little but I also think u got the idea.

As an example of great musicians, I say Sverd from Arcturus. He composed classical music for a (black/avantgarde) metal band (Ad astra is maybe the best symphonic piece recorded for a black metal band Ever). Also his work on Satyricon's Shadowthrone, Ulver's Bergatt and Covenant's Nexus Polaris is absolutely incredible.

On those times when Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, etx were born, wasn't easy to get on the radio (the main way to be known), to have a deal with a label, to record something, etx . If the band wasn't good enough, there was no deal/sucess. That's why on those times the bands had a great general quality, cause the labels/pubs/radios/etx looked for the band quality, not for the commercial potential it had - there was no internet, no computers to record at home, no virtual instruments, etx.

@QuAupelle: Thanx a lot. I'm doing better and I think I'll be at my 100% around this weekend.

Hehe that corpse-paint thing was horrible, even the women's section :rolleyes: .

Hahahaha always will be a childish view of Scandinavia from retarded tr00 kvlt svart metall fans :rofl:. Here it's really embarassing to see guys/girls wearing corpsepaint on the streets (actually not here on Valparaíso, but it happens a lot on Santiago, our capital) or the vampire-wannabe kind.

You can ignore them or be kind and explain them the real world, that the blood-covered forests where christians are impaled for a Vlad Tepes-like army don't exist.

The emos floods the streets across the whole country (called Pokémons too). I don't know where the actual youth goes, but the teenagers seem to be more 'ambiguous'. Sometimes you can't tell if someone is a guy or a girl, or while a guy looks like a guy, talk like a girl and viceversa (wtf?). Since when the gayness is something cool?? Shit.

(At least your mainstream music is better than ours, where Reggaeton, commercial suck-ass hip hop/ r&b, cumbia - don't search it :rofl: - dominate the whole local media).

Yes, damn regetón! I mean, cumbia is quite good in a way, at least it's much better than regetón and talks about things besides punnanies. Yes, Emo has become so fashionable. It's funny, because my best friend was Emo, but he listened/s to the old Emo, which is basically something like Hardcore. Emo nowadays isn't Emo, it's Pop music designed for sexually frustrated teenagers. Go masturbate, period. :p

While I understand the motives that moved Varg and the others to do the church burnings, I think they were a little late; also I don't think that's something to be proud - I hear black metal since 95 more or less and I've never thought that was something really cool.

Yes, even though Christianity has mostly done bad things, it's not good that they burnt the churches, they were quite old and historic.

Once, I used my t-shirts very often, when black metal was more or less underground (although I've never used corpsepaint). Today I see 10-years kids with Dimmu, Immortal and/or Darkthrone t-shirts. Now they defile graves, break (usually catholic) statues/figurines, kill small animals to do their 'rituals', attack gay people, etx. They don't help to the normal metalhead at all. Now if u have some beard, long hair and you dress with dark colours, you are a metalhead and treated as any of those assholes.

Same here, and I believe it's happening eveywhere.

Also there's a misconception of Finland here. There's people who think they cross the seas on drakkars, think beer all the time singin some traditional folk songs, dress like 500 years ago and all people there believe in Oden.

Yeah, since it's so close to Sweden I guess it's only natural that people think there were Vikings there. It's funny, because I was reading this text in Old English which talked about the journey of some Viking guy who went to the North to see how far he could go. He said that in Finland lived only cavemen :p.

http://www.sagadb.org/ Great website. There are translations on several languages, including old norsk, norwegian, danish, german, english, french, etx.

¡Gracias!

To be honest, I like a lot anime/manga. Read some manga from time to time - currently following Saint Seiya - The Lost Canvas - but happens the same shit as the svartmetall all-of-us-hail-satan fans, they are pathetic and hilarious at the same time. I can't stop laughing when I hear that broken japanese - like just using the words kawaii, ohayou, baka,arigatou (the 'experts' adding also gozaimasu), acting like cats, adding randomly -chan-kun-san, etx) or when I saw some of them with jackets fully covered with stickers from all and each of their fav anime series (not all of them, just the narutards and such). Damn :rofl:.

Actually I recently finished watching the Hades saga, it was good until the end; it seemed as if they had to cut a lot of parts. Ah I haven't read The Lost Canvas, but I've been wanting to. Yes, in here it's the same, I know how to speak and write Japanese so those people make me feel sorry for them. Most of them never go to classes, so they never go past the "kawaii" stage. I learnt Japanese because of Manga/anime, but otakus these days… they don't know anything.

Oh no, why oh why did you put that?!? :p

Here the natives are like 4,5%, 4% are Mapuches (as me) and the rest are divided on tons of surviving tribes. When spanish came to (latin) america, most of natives bowed them, or were killed. That happened until they met the Mapuches, who simply beat them to death XD. Spanish never defeated them, but they were discriminated and persecuted by the 'civilized' chileans. Still I love my homeland, the most beautiful country in the world.

Hehe not here, most indigenous people here were killed, mostly because of colds and European diseases.

Flavio still kicks most of metal bassists ass.

I, as a bassist usually explore another styles to learn more, like jazz, blues, bossanova and such - Steve Bailey is my fav bassist btw. I play classic guitar too and usually I practice some compositions from Segovia, Barrios, Tárrega and such.

On metal, truly great bassists that I know are Di Giorgio, Lars K Norberg, Tyr, Sean Malone (not too metal anyway), Skoll...that's all? :rofl: there a lot of fast ones on technical death metal but that's all (probably I'm forgetting someone, but not for sure to the way overrated guys Cliff Burton and John Myung).

Metal in general is the worst way to learn music, I think it's one of the poorest styles when we look for the musical theory applied to compositions. Of course there's a lot of great music and well crafted, but a good amount of metal are just a bunch of random chords and broken progressions.

Ah yes, Flavio is better than most metal bassists. But I disagree, Metal is such a diverse genre that you really have to specify the band you think sucks. Prog metal is composed in great ways (Threshold), but there are still some horrible bands (Dream Theater). Thrash is good, although repetitive. But IMO Metal is a great way to study music, if you have diverse taste that is.

Svarthjärtad;8266382 said:
uh-oh! NO NO NO NO!

I HATE PEOPLE THAT GIVE EVERYBODY ELSE A BAD NAMN! You know, these mother fuckers destroy shit and us(the other guys)... we get the blame. I don't care if it is a Christian monument or not. I may joke around about take a axe to it, but I have more respect for stuff like that. These kids laugh at me and think of me as a poser because I help the local church. I help the elderly with what they are doing, NOT THE CHURCH! Last month, the local church holds a feast. I baked cookies and bread for the event. There is a lot of elderly people there that cannot bake, so I bake and donate to the church... FOR THE PEOPLE! That is respect!
I am not a Christian, I hate Christianity... but I have respect for others. This is what I hate about metal kids today. It is all about extremes anymore. Everybody wants to be the Varg Vikernes or Ozzy of their town - by destroying monuments, burning churches, beating people up that are different. FUCK THAT BULLSHIT!
I am not gay, don't understand it and I feel weird around them. But!... I will gladly hold a respectable conversations with them as I will with just about anybody. That is why everybody loves me, I show a lot of respect. Kids today, they look at the world around them, not the world at large. They have no job or if so, they don't have much.. they don't know life yet. I don't even know what life is, and I've been a hard-working person since I was 18 years. I feel I grew up too fast for my own good sometimes! Hehehehe.
They also laugh because what I do for a living(outside of music). I am an L.P.N. which is a Licensed Practical Nurse. Hehe. I have to admit, that it isn't the most common thing for a Metalhead guy, but what they don't know, is that HEY... it brings food to my table! Fuck it, I don't give a shit what I have to do. If I have to wipe asses to get that steak and shrimp with a martini at the end of the day. OH WELL!

Yeah I agree with you. And I don't go into a Church unless someone dies :p , but it's very nice that you help other people. Kudos to you :danceboy:.

Well, apart from most of the pictures*, I found one or two that could be labelled as regular bm corpse-paint or regular my-space stuff and one made by smn who actually got the (supposedly) humorous idea of that website: banan ist krieg!!

* only checked the girls' section - few random pics

Wa fæn?!? :rolleyes:

Look, I listen more metal than any other kind of music.

I said 'a good amount of'... that's not the vast majority of them. Also I include all metal bands, not just the big names. As an example : The ridiculous amount of thrash and old school death metal bands, which most of them sucks and use the random chords and broken progressions that I was talking about and/or steal some well known compositions from another bands.

Also I said there are really great musicians/bands on metal on an enough quantity to enjoy almost any metal style (well, we are on the Vintersorg forum, one of my top musicians all time, specially for his versatility on vast musical areas). Maybe I generalized a little but I also think u got the idea.

As an example of great musicians, I say Sverd from Arcturus. He composed classical music for a (black/avantgarde) metal band (Ad astra is maybe the best symphonic piece recorded for a black metal band Ever). Also his work on Satyricon's Shadowthrone, Ulver's Bergatt and Covenant's Nexus Polaris is absolutely incredible.

On those times when Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, etx were born, wasn't easy to get on the radio (the main way to be known), to have a deal with a label, to record something, etx . If the band wasn't good enough, there was no deal/sucess. That's why on those times the bands had a great general quality, cause the labels/pubs/radios/etx looked for the band quality, not for the commercial potential it had - there was no internet, no computers to record at home, no virtual instruments, etx.

@QuAupelle: Thanx a lot. I'm doing better and I think I'll be at my 100% around this weekend.

Perhaps you're right about that. I thought you ment "metal" in general as a whole. I was like WTF? Hehe. BUt now that you explained it better, I understand now. It was my misinterperatations, I admit.