love vs. fear

Perhaps it's just as simple as we fear to be alone so we make up the construct of love just to get us through it, so we don't feel quite as alone?

I'm aware of how emo that sounds

Final_Product said:
Perhaps it's just as simple as we fear to be alone so we make up the construct of love just to get us through it, so we don't feel quite as alone?

I'm aware of how emo that sounds

No I think that does it. Or the reverse in some cases; one fears losing ones identity or freedom--well thats more or less my own opinion on the matter.

Seriously think how primal and necessary fear is, and how relatively unnecessary love is. Now I am not saying I want to be feared by everyone, or loved by everyone. I am just pointing out that fear is a stronger and lasting emotion or part of humanity. Everything from wars, to terrorist attacks, to rocky marriages have worshipped upon the temple of fear.

I think you can construe love as being a higher brain function, without a doubt. I'm not denying its non-scientific qualities - it is after all a very powerful emotion. I don't generally consider myself a reductionist, but i consider it entirely possible to see love as a biological response to protect us from fear, or at least help us get through it.

Love is more powerful than Fear. If someone tells you that they will shoot one person. Whether that be you, your wife/husband, your mother or father, or your brother or sister, how many of you would choose that they shoot you instead? I know I would.

There are Wars because one group loves their people so much that they are willing to die in battle for them. Fear is due to losing love. But a life lost because of love is not done through fear, but through love.

10293847 said:
Love is more powerful than Fear. If someone tells you that they will shoot one person. Whether that be you, your wife/husband, your mother or father, or your brother or sister, how many of you would choose that they shoot you instead? I know I would.

There are Wars because one group loves their people so much that they are willing to die in battle for them. Fear is due to losing love. But a life lost because of love is not done through fear, but through love.

No, i'd let them die actually. Its all subjective of course ( until of course some bright social scientist or psychologist decides to make a study of it, and offer 95% accurate statistical proof) so either/or is correct.

Still, your opinion is tainted by Romanticism and idealism--and by a few action movies. On a totally obscure and irrelevant note, I remember a part of Solzhenitzin's Gulag Archipelago in which the somewhat famous Russian philsopher Nikolai Berdyaev was tortured for no reason by the NKVD other than he was intelligent, and the NKVD threatened to kill his family if he did not talk ( a very common occurance according to Solzhenitzin) and openly state he was against communism etc, Berdyaev, said fine, kill my family, but you will not break me. And instead of killing his family they exiled him unbroken.

And on another side note: love is esoteric and reliant on faith and belief; whereas fear is horrifically bestial and close to a true universal fact for humankind.

"Still, your opinion is tainted by Romanticism and idealism--"

If this, for you, isn't what being a human is about, then I feel sorry for you. We strive for ideals, and if you simply wish to "exist", then that must suck for you.

"And on another side note: love is esoteric and reliant on faith and belief;"

There is Love and Fear (which leads to Violence) in the world. Yeah, no one is arguing that. The question is which one causes the other to react. My assessment is that Love causes Violence. If you love and care about something, you are going to do what you can to protect that. Love causes fear (violence), but that act of violence is an act of love. So love is that which causes violence.

10293847 said:
"Still, your opinion is tainted by Romanticism and idealism--"

If this, for you, isn't what being a human is about, then I feel sorry for you. We strive for ideals, and if you simply wish to "exist", then that must suck for you.

"And on another side note: love is esoteric and reliant on faith and belief;"

There is Love and Fear (which leads to Violence) in the world. Yeah, no one is arguing that. The question is which one causes the other to react. My assessment is that Love causes Violence. If you love and care about something, you are going to do what you can to protect that. Love causes fear (violence), but that act of violence is an act of love. So love is that which causes violence.

Thats fine, we are total opposites in our beliefs on this subject.

You strive for an ideal; I see the horror, the petty intellectualism, and the comic absurdity of such an endeavor.

And I totally take the exact opposite opinion of yours in regards to violence as I posted before:

"You know in my opinion the most basic and primal human emotion is fear; it is stronger than love, stronger than anything else. If one truly considers love, think how much love is conditioned upon fear. One fears whether our significant other will leave us; one fears whether they really love us as much as one does them; one fears finding another love, and thus seeks to hold on to this love; one fears rejection and denial of ones present love. If one really thinks about it, love as wonderful as it is, in most instances is predicated by fear. Thus, I think it folly to consider love to be greater than fear."

For some reason when I read your posts I have an image of John Lennon smoking it up and singing about love. Strange isnt it? Im sure you are picturing a less than flattering image of me.

speed said:
Thats fine, we are total opposites in our beliefs on this subject.

You strive for an ideal; I see the horror, the petty intellectualism, and the comic absurdity of such an endeavor.

And I totally take the exact opposite opinion of yours in regards to violence as I posted before:

"You know in my opinion the most basic and primal human emotion is fear; it is stronger than love, stronger than anything else. If one truly considers love, think how much love is conditioned upon fear. One fears whether our significant other will leave us; one fears whether they really love us as much as one does them; one fears finding another love, and thus seeks to hold on to this love; one fears rejection and denial of ones present love. If one really thinks about it, love as wonderful as it is, in most instances is predicated by fear. Thus, I think it folly to consider love to be greater than fear."

For some reason when I read your posts I have an image of John Lennon smoking it up and singing about love. Strange isnt it? Im sure you are picturing a less than flattering image of me.

:lol:

I don't have any kind of image of you.

I just think we're idealists. We create purposes of life for ourselves.

10293847 said:
:lol:

I don't have any kind of image of you.

I just think we're idealists. We create purposes of life for ourselves.

For ourselves is the key word; nothing but dissapointment occurs when we create such ideals for others.

A shame though; no image at all? Hm. You know I imagine strange pictures of everyone that posts. Its a true shame so many post real pictures their faces. They ruin all the fun!

Final_Product said:
There is a great deal of wisdom in that.

Yes I am quite well known back in Cincinnati as the KFC philosopher. I make witty aphorisms in between gorging on biscuits and gravy.

speed said:
For ourselves is the key word; nothing but dissapointment occurs when we create such ideals for others.

A shame though; no image at all? Hm. You know I imagine strange pictures of everyone that posts. Its a true shame so many post real pictures their faces. They ruin all the fun!

Well i'm certainly not one to place ideals on others, nor do I care much about that.

Posting a picture of you, or having your favorite band in your sig isn't so important for me. That's part of the reason why my screename is just a bunch of random numbers. I'm here to discuss ideas. I'm not too concerned about expressing myself here.