Low End Preamp Shootout

Which pre do you like best?

Votes: 4 16.7%

Votes: 4 16.7%

Votes: 10 41.7%

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
Nearly 600 views and only 11 votes. I suppose I should spill the beans!

1: Mackie Onyx 800R
2: M Audio Profire 2626
3: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14
4: Behringer ADA8000

Damnit, I was honestly going to post that exact order but read the results before I clicked the reply button...I guess I really shouldn't do that in shoot-out threads :D

By the way, I voted for 2, which makes me happy, cause that is also what i happen to use. 2, 3 and 4 were all very nice though, and I had to listen to them lots of times before I made my pick. I really didn't like 1 from the start though. Don't know why, it just sounded dull to me.

Maybe Focusrite are putting different pre's in the Saffire 14 compared to those in the 24/40? The Focusrite did get twice as many votes as any other preamp in this shootout. But I wonder if that's just because the odd one out in this lineup rather than it sounding any better/worse.
I honestly don't think any of the preamps here sound bad though.

I'm surprised at how the Behringer sounds.
They're all pretty similar, but the highs are just a little bit better on the Behringer IMO.
This would probably go nicely with my Impact Twin via ADAT.

Yeah the Behringer gets a bit of a hard time but it really isn't that bad. There is a small boost in the highs that sounds pretty nice here. The main problem with it is the higher noise level compared to the others. Though it's strange in that certain steps in the pot are noisier than others, so sometimes you can add more gain and get less noise than the previous step, and the pattern isn't consistent from one channel to the next.

Wow, the Behringer came out pretty well...pretty scary considering its price!
That Gearslutz thread had a lot of people fooled alright, but I suppose you gotta count not just for sound quality, but hardware quality too and this is where Behringer normally fall short of the competition.

Yeah Behringer stuff is almost guaranteed to fail eventually, and the noise floor is pretty poor generally. But the sound quality isn't that bad at all. It's good enough to make me kinda regret spending £600+ on the Onyx stuff when the Behringer is only £150.

This has such a small impact (if none at all) that I'd say it doesn't matter.

In the end people will be listening to these songs on poop quality youtube or whatever joint stereo mp3 format.

No one will care. There are far bigger issues concerning a mix and most people don't even care about those. F.ex. loudness war and hardware vs. software compression... people just don't care.