Low End References

Nuno Filipe

You talkin' to me?
Jul 1, 2009
Portugal
Hey guys what´s your low end references when comes to mixing?

Here some mixes that I find great.

Red has much better relation between the kick and the bass but within temptation has a quite pleaseant low end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not everyones cup of tea i guess, but there is a very special managment of the low end in Soilworks "the panic broadcast"

HD of course:

That RED album and the one before are spit perfect. The new Love and Death album has amazing tones too.

Alter Bridge's Blackbird album. The new Tremonti one has huge low end as well. An example:

Elvis and Jef Moll know what they're doing. I'm hoping to hire Jef to do some mixing for my band later this year. Consistently fantastic work.

The RED albums Innocence & Instinct and Until We Have Faces are my usual go-to's for heavy rock low end. Really just about any Grosse or Staub mix, honestly.

metallica - load
earshot - two
linkin park - meteora
limp bizkit - significant other
gojira - twoaf
underoath - disambiguation
sevendust - waffle (TLA remix)

basically anything randy staub, tom lord alge, or ben grosse have ever done.

Great post guys. There are here great low end references. Betraying the martyrs's is insane but too big for something so fast and heavy. My favourite till now it´s gojira, way of all flesh. The low end it´s fantastic, punchy and defined.

Btw, I am trying to achieve a big low end also for my songs. Did a few tests after hearing gojira´s album.

What do you think of this:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1457645/jh.mp3

Of course there are lot of work to be done but I was just mixing the bass.

this, huge low end and one of my all time favourite album productions

edit:Maybe I should reference this alot ore than I tend to, my mixes always seem to be lacking in low end balls

overall i'd say the most impressive "wow factor" entire song as far as energy, punch and boom has to be "shakin hands" by nickelback

the main riff of "estoteric surgery" by gojira is also pretty slammin.

Rock Stuff:
Untouchables by Korn
Reise, Reise by Rammstein
Black Gives Way To Blue by Alice in Chains

Metal Stuff:
The Gathering by Testament
+Pretty much everything Jens Bogren touches has a big, warm but controlled low end.