LTE

BastrdDrmr said:
Actually, in one of the interviews that Portnoy did with the official DT fanclub magazine (which isn't made anymore if my memory serves me correctly), he said that they did record songs for LTE3. The problem is that Magna Carta lost all the master tapes. But anyway, he had no desire I guess to rerecord them or anything so it all went to waste.

I have every somewhat recent DT fanzine, and don't ever recall hearing that. Plus, by Portnoys own admission, he backs up ALL his recording with his own personal recording, just in case something like that were to happen. The end of 3 Minute Warning is a perfect example.

Plus, those albums only took about a week or two to write and record, so why would re-recording be such a hastle, especially if Magna Carta fucked up?

rockyracoon said:
I have every somewhat recent DT fanzine, and don't ever recall hearing that. Plus, by Portnoys own admission, he backs up ALL his recording with his own personal recording, just in case something like that were to happen. The end of 3 Minute Warning is a perfect example.

Plus, those albums only took about a week or two to write and record, so why would re-recording be such a hastle, especially if Magna Carta fucked up?

BastrdDrmr...There was definately no LTE3 even in the works...no lost tapes...

BastrdDrmr said:
Actually, in one of the interviews that Portnoy did with the official DT fanclub magazine (which isn't made anymore if my memory serves me correctly), he said that they did record songs for LTE3. The problem is that Magna Carta lost all the master tapes. But anyway, he had no desire I guess to rerecord them or anything so it all went to waste.

yes and no. From what I remember, those lost tapes he's talking about were from jam sessions during the recording of LTE2 that Tony, Jordan, and himself did when Petrucci had to leave mid recording session because his wife was having a baby (hence the title When the Water Breaks). He said he would have liked to have released some of those improv sessions, but Magna Carta "lost the tapes" on him. An example of one of them is on LTE2 anyway...I think its called 914 or something.

I thought the last song (3 minute warning) on LTE was improvised and only 50% of the musicians I asked said it was. Well...I finally got Coroner's last album and Golden Cashmere Sleeper parts 1 and 2 seem to be where LTE knocked the music off from. I listen to GCS and I keep thinking it's going to break into it. If I recall correctly, Coroner was a contemporary band DT members listened to.

You got Be as their last album and you hated it. Hm. I got it as their first and I love all their albums. What a strange recommendation.