Ludwig Snare Samples - A free .tci for you

DrumWerks

Apr 4, 2007
www.drumwerks.com
That's like, a birthday present! Thanks Mr Drumwerks. Your samples sound great. Going to invest in some soon :)

Ludwig Acrolite Aluminum Snare II sounds insane! <3
Are all your snares in *.tci formats?

And tnx for the free .tci ... i think im going to use it in my next mix! :)

Thanks for the nice words - truly appreciated. I never know if what I think sounds good will sound good to anyone else. And, knowing the board as I think I do, no one will hesitate to call something as garbage if it is. That said, if you offer something for free, how mad can anyone get?

So, in other words, thanks for the praise!

As for .tci format, we can get those up pretty easily. We made small "lite" .tci formats instruments to use for testing. Sort of like the freebie - I think that had like 24 samples? We would usually do a quick instrument build with 10-20 samples just to hear how the sounds would translate in different musical contexts.

Should we go ahead and build full .tci instruments to include with the raw WAV's? Is everyone finding they are usually pretty quick work if you are working with some quality, properly-prepped samples?

I thought maybe I was doing it wrong because it seemed really painless to get a solid, workable .tci in a short amount of time.

Barricade,

If you do use that in a mix, it would be awesome if you could share it. Always love to hear what can be done with another set of ears behind a mix.

I bought the Kicks and Snares... i rly like them...i will post some clips when the mix is done!

Barricade - looking forward to what you come up with. Be sure to forward a link along when it gets done.

Charlez - we can get that metal kick (the first one) available individually. We are doing a number of kicks right now so that section of the store is due for a big update soon. I will post back when it does.

As for all the feedback, thanks. We will get some WAV files up here as well as develop the .tci files as well for the Ludwig snares.

For those of you with putting together Trigger files, what are your usual number of samples? # of rows and/or columns?

I usually can get good results with 3 columns and maybe 10-12 rows. But, how many does everyone use when they create their own Trigger instruments?

If I have for example 4 samples per velocity: hard, medium and soft. Then I would make 3 columns and 4 rows,
all hard hits go on the top row, mediums in the middle row and soft in the bottom, then I click on auto for
the Instument editor to assign the velocities for me.

That's the way I do it.

Just released a slew of snare sample sets from a couple of high-mileage Ludwigs - Acrolite, Black Beauty, Supraphonic.

Since Trigger seems to the replacer of choice, thought we'd share one of the sets as a taste test. Grab the .tci here:

http://www.drumwerks.com/trigger/Ludwig5x14AcroliteAluminumSnareDrumIIb.tci

The other sets are here:

http://www.drumwerks.com/snare-samples.html

A bunch of Pearls and Yamaha snares are coming out next week (perhaps the week after).

Enjoy!

how many different hits and velocity layers do you offer?

just mixing a song with a nice drum roll using superior 2
and it sounds really nice and real but of course very RAW.

i tried to replace the snare using TRIGGER and some
slate samples...complete FAIL :(

slate is great for heavier music but it does not work
with softer stuff, at least for me...

i tried almost every setting and listening to the samples
the "jump" from soft to medium to hard hits is just way too
rough, there must be like two more velocity values between each
to sound anywhere close to right.

btw. i'm just sharing my experience and looking for something that
may fit my needs better, do not want to start a "X is better than Y"
discussion! :)

cheers
S.

how many different hits and velocity layers do you offer?

Soul,

We tend to go overboard with the number of samples. The minimum samples in all the new Ludwig snares is 53 samples, the highest is around 80. But, the average is between 60-70 individual hits.

I usually have the 127 MIDI velocity layers in mind and figure half of that will give you enough variety at all the given velocities. That's pretty illogical I suppose but it forces us to get the 60-70 samples per snare (also, each snare sample set has exact specs of number of hits and file size)

That includes everything from the slightest taps to the strongest rimshots. We do the left hand and right hand (not labeled but if you want to know all odd numbers are left, even numbers right-hand).

Also, we include a dozen flams, and cross-stick samples as well.

Like I said, you don't really need this many. I have usually grab maybe 15-20 and made very realistic .tci files for use as replacement. That may even be too many!

Just recorded a Ludwig Blacrolite - not sure if it was great or ugly. Will post some tonight.

thanks for the fast reply! :)

i think the more samples the better! :D

for metal a set of 4 soft, med and hard hits
may be enough but if oyu have to record some other style...it always sounds fake IMHO.

i am working on a spanish style song atm which has some snare rolls and stuff.
tried to replace this with TRIGGER, the hits are recognized very well but the sound...sounds more like a glitch effect and not like a snare! :lol:

i played the same thing back in superior 2 which has to have a similar amount of samplesi think...sounds way better,
smooth and natural but i just can't stand the superior snares soundwise.

i hope you will continue making snares with this amount of samples.

when i purchase a snare or a pack will i get wav and TCI files?

is there any kind of chart that describes how the samples were "setup"
velocities, and stuff?

cheers
S.

Soul,

Sorry I never got a chance to reply sooner!

"when i purchase a snare or a pack will i get wav and TCI files?"

- As of now, it is WAV only. We use Trigger a lot and do build tci files often - we will work on including them in the near future. Obviously, you can create them easily with the Trigger Instrument Editor, but I understand it is nice to have a little bit of tedious work done for you!

"is there any kind of chart that describes how the samples were "setup"
velocities, and stuff?"

Not really. Other than the specs given (format, number of files, types of hits), we will have to work on creating more thorough documentation. The general gist is there are always hits (numbered from the lightest hits to full-on cracks), cross-stick samples, and flam samples in each pack. It is usually a matter of going to the first numbers for your grace-note type hits, in the middle numbers for the full but not slamming hits, and the last ones for the absolute hardest (sometimes to the choking point of the drum). From experience, the "sweetest" hits are in the 3/4 range of numbers (so, if there are 60 hits, the most used usually are in the numbered range between 45-55).

Make any sense?

Anyone want more snares?

thanks for the info again, listening to the demo files now, i think i'll find something good for me! :)

cheers
S.