Luthier work question and where to buy EMG accessories

TheWinterSnow

Den Mørke Natt
Oct 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I am looking to fix my 7 string which has been out of commission for quite some time. Picked up some parts today but I am also looking to dowel and redrill the anchor holes as the wood has warped. I remember seeing a picture tutorial of the process, but can't seem to find it. The little things worry me a bit, such as type of glue, how much bigger the drill hole should be before the dowel is installed etc. I have looked around the net and have not been able to find anything other than everyone saying what I already know. I think I am over analyzing but I want to be safe.

I am not looking to have it taken to a professional luthier because around here they charge $60+ and hour for what most would say is a 3-4 hour job (would cost the same as getting a whole guitar re-fretted) and I am more than capable and have access to the right tools, I am just double and triple checking the whole process.

My questions are:

-How much larger should the drill hole and dowel be with respect to the final drill hole size (the anchor size), I am thinking 7/16 or better yet 1/2" (if I can get it that big with the limited space) with a 3/8" anchor.
-Which glue would be the best glue to use, and should any type of wood filler/putty be used? My better woodworking experience would say standard wood glue should be fine

Also, I am looking for a vendor that sells individual EMG accessories. Guitarpartsdepot.com is offline and I have no clue where I can get some extra pickup wires.

No clue on the main portion of the post, but you can order stuff directly from EMG, just call them up. I think they are based in CA too, aren't they?

Their website only has kits, not individual parts, so yeah, I will have to call them and see what they can do. And yeah they are in CA, not too far from me actually, same with Mesa Boogie.

I'd probably go with the type 2 wood glue which is water resistant. might not make much difference if it's sealed under paint or clear though

Titebond for the wood glue. Try to match the type of wood to the dowel if it's at all possible so it should have similar expansion/contraction properties. You can find small samples of different types of wood at Woodcraft for turning pens. 1/2 dowel with a 3/8 anchor will be fine as long as it's well dried into place, if you want to go larger that's fine too.

I don't have any info on the EMG parts, but definitely look at the projectguitar forum for more info.

Its all good on the EMG parts, I realized that the quick connects are mini molex connectors and picked them up, a set of battery clips and a stereo jack at my local electronic stores. In terms of the dowel and redrill, I double checked my guitar and don't think is is possible as the edge of the current hole is flush with the recessed wall, meaning I cannot drill a larger hole without redrilling and repainting the visible surface area of the guitar. I am actaully going to use a thick plastic bondo or wood putty and put the anchors back in, hold it in reverse tension so the dense material can fill the warped part of the wood and call it a day.