axemaiden

makes you eat dead things
Aug 21, 2007
grendel's mothers cave
Mac Blagick – Mac Blagick
Glen Ghost Records – 2007
By Axemaiden

blagick_code7-SM.jpg

I was, I suppose quite unfairly, prepared to dislike this band on the basis of the name Mac Blagick which is to be fair, a little cheesy, but I decided to shed the negative attitude and give them another chance. However, despite further listens, I still find myself undecided regarding my opinion of the group themselves.

I’m not a huge fan of operatic rockabilly/goth/punk (which is a musical category that I suspect I may have just created), but paradoxically, despite me being unsure of this album, I also do think that they are very talented musicians. The music is dreamy, intense and contemplative, with a strong rockabilly, eighties gothic and slight avant-garde punk feel, but it also contains bizarrely enough, a twist of sixties classic rock and seventies funk to it, especially with the rhythm and lead guitars on track three ‘Girl of the Storm’. The vocals are also extremely well executed, but I’m just not entirely convinced that they blend particularly well with the music itself. I suspect that maybe if the vocalist and musicians were in separate bands it would work a lot better, but then I suppose that Mac Blagick would not be as unique as they are.

I still remain firmly unsure about Mac Blagick and this album. I love bits of it and think that it is extremely individual and strangely creative, but other sections really don’t meld well together. I guess if I had to sum up their sound for anyone reading , then it would have to be a bizarre cross between the Circus of Horrors and a soundtrack to a Seventies afro-laden detective movie. In a word, intriguing.

Official Mac Blagick Website
Official Mac Blagick Myspace
Official Glen Ghost Records Website