MAc compatibility issues...

Gaspard

Aug 1, 2007
Paris, FRANCE
Hello,
I am getting a new MacBook (not pro), for college.
The computer will have apple OS 10.5 tiger on it (newest one), my old computer who is also an intel runs on OS 10.4, my version of pro tools LE will not work on the new mac, so I'll have to upgrade that, and that's no problem, but how about all my plugins ?

The plugins I am most worried about are T-racks (wich never needed an upgrade in like 5 years), Drumkit from hell, addictive drums and melodyne.

Any help ?

Thanks

Drumkit From Hell, Addictive Drums, and Melodyne should all be fine. Not sure about T-racks. It's quite old now and doesn't sound too great, so head on over to www.stillwellaudio.com and check those suckas out!!

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but apparently there have been problems with the standard Macbooks and firewire interfaces (as in, not working together) - then again, I think Greyskull on here has a Macbook and a 002, and I assume the two work together...still, why not go for the Pro? With the student discount price, it's pretty reasonable (especially cuz they give you a free ipod!)

T racks will work as well as all of IK's stuff. I tried a demo on leopard.

Melodyne is also no problem, I own uno and it runs fine on leopard.

Actually drumkit from hell 2 works on leopard and thats old as hell so you should be good to go on everything. You may just need to do some updates on stuff.

Yeah so I read about a lot of stuff on MacBooks and 002's and I'm getting MacBook Pro, if anyone is intrested, here is going to be my new setup for college, but keep in ming that I'll have access to a professional studio all the time. So:

MacBook Pro
2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
250GB hard drive
Double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB

8U rack flight case:
Line 6 POD XT Pro
Digidesign 002
Patch Bay
A 2U rack drawer to put laptop, cables etc...

I need to get the best headphones possible to mix, any ideas ?

I have just transfered the programs through iChat before :) Seriously . . . I couldn't find the discs for FM8 and a bundle I had, so I just tried iChat and it worked perfectly!

Otherwise I would burn DVDs of the apps, etc

Don't Macs have some utility to transfer files via an ethernet cable between the two computers?

Yes, you can do that also. . . . forgot to mention that

You can also do this: Firewire Target Disc Mode

1-Turn off old computer
2-Connect it to your new computer via firewire 400 cable
3-Turn on old computer and hold the "t" key until you see the firewire symbol appears on screen
4-Your old computer will now be a temporary harddrive for you new Macbook
5-Just click and drag items from your old computer to the new one

yes sir,,,my home rig is a macbook and 002. works fine running tiger, havn't changed to leopard yet to be honest!!!

Yeah I know about that, BUT ... i'm going from one operationg system (os 10.4 to the newest version tiger), will that be a problem ?

One last question...
On my new mac there is only ONE firewire in, and i need two to use my Digi 002 and my LaCie external harddrive (and no it can't be used in USB), i'll need to use both at the same time so can I like, split my firewire into two with a splitter box or something ??

Thanks

You can daisy chain firewire stuff, either your 002 or your HDD (or both) should have two firewire ports, which are for daisy chaining

Howdo I know wich one is input and wich one is out ? the HDD has two but the 002 has two also but someone told me that was just for linking option and it wasnt an IN/OUT thing.

Can daisy chaning my stuff create problems since my HDD is the one i use for recordings.

Also, is it better to use your computer HD for recording ?

with migration assistant, it doesnt matter which version of the os you are using. 10.4 accounts can be migrated to 10.5, but the features new to the later os will not be included for (obviously)

it is still better to daisy chain then to record to your internal drive. recording really puts alot of stress on a drive, and it is almost inevitable the drive will one day fail. you don`t want to have to restore your os and reinstall all your apps and plugs!!!

back up your boot drive. back up your recording drive. back up your backups and your back ups, back ups

So in other words if i do a total migration thing, i wont get the new features of 10.5 or did i just get what you said wrong ?

SO i'm gonna go: 002-->LaCie-->Mac, record on the LaCie and backup everything on the mac ?

no you would still have the new features, but since the version the user being migrated from did not include features of later os, there are no settings to carry over to the new os, so you will have to set them. they will still function however. kinda difficult to explain.

that set up you mentioned sounds pretty good. i would have another back up drive to back up your boot drive using boot camp, because if your boot drive fails, or you need to reinstall due to a software issue, reinstalling all your software and plugins is a bitch!! especially during a project! then another back up drive to back up your recording drive. so...

internal boot drive
external drive #1: time machine back up drive
external drive #2: recording drive with project folders
external drive #3: back up of recording drive with project folders

edit: you could use one drive for both time machine and your recording drive backup, just make sure it is a pretty big drive. if you are only getting 2 extra drives,i recommend a one have a tb of space and one be matched to the size of your hd

So in other words if i do a total migration thing, i wont get the new features of 10.5 or did i just get what you said wrong ?

SO i'm gonna go: 002-->LaCie-->Mac, record on the LaCie and backup everything on the mac ?

i do this and it works fine