Mac or Windows?

oh, i must admit the PC does outperform my Powerbook... it's a single processor G4, 1.3Ghz.

hope that makes you smile nick! :)

peace?

James, besides telling me your personal bad experience with PC's to make your point, you keep telling me that I project my bad experience on others.
It's not only me. Maybe we can make 33 pages here, lets see how creative we are.

ProToolsTDM/HD('pro'protools) uses the mac as a sort of server, dspcards do the real crunching. It's expensive so you get great service. It's a good system, it does what it does without letting you be aware all the time you're sitting behind a (home)computer.

ProTools is very good, but not very very very good. Digi just came with an update that corrected the plugindelay. It can mess up your stereo'image severly, that's why other people (classical engineers) use software like Pyramix. It does multitrack DSD, the scary realistic "analog digital" format. The Vienna Samples were recorded and edited (over a million) in Sequoia, great SonicSolutionslike DAW.

All on PC, no trouble. Well-chosen by boring professionals who deliver daily-based top quality.

Videoguys I work for, all PC (Avid). It can be done, and a site like musicxp.net lets you configure your pc in minutes, just do as they show you. It worked out for me and a lot of other people.

And four crashes a day? Yes. Apple's Logic Audio 6.something had a nasty stabillityissue under OSX2.something. Going back to Emagic Logic 5.5.1 on a PC was a big relief for me and others. OSX2 had designflaws that were too serious for some people, including me (needed fast HD -like my current Raptors- for freezetracks). The G5 had issues with quite some soundcards, there came pricy upgrades (MOTU). Your Digi 001 is obsolete. Try running a Powercore in Logic with low latency. Issues like there are with PC's.

When I needed working updates Apple build the "iLife"line, neat software that turns your computer into a hip remote for the mental challenged who seem to outnumber musicians on earth.
They will spend money on nice looking computers if they do 'mail', 'picture' and 'sleeze' with just a few soft-blue mouseactions.
Apple had qualitycontrol over my main softwarepackage and didn't handle it very well. Maybe they do now, I do hear good stories about Logic Pro under 10.3. But I got a Win98like expierence in all its gore, stuck with a developer focused on lifestylestuff.

Swithing to WinXP was a relief, try image that. a Very mac-like 'switch' experience, a friend showed me that it could be done perfectly and I was amazed by the speed, the ease and -damn- the price. Great software, good hardware. Put it in a 19" rack and work. Funny overclocktricks that work out safe & fine. Exiting audiovaporware waiting to materialize giving me a great excuse to buy an 6800GT 'FX processor' ("This way, Gordon"). Tweakerforums give great advice, XP is very, very solid. I've done a _lot_ of work on this machine.

I even start liking CubaseSX.

I miss the Line6 Ampfarm (can it do PodXT?) and the Sonyplugs, maybe I'll get an older OS9Mac to run those.

This thread is never going to stop is it!!

It's all personal opinion/choice,

c'mon guys at the end of the day it all comes down to that. Would you try and preach to someone about the way they play *insert chord here*???

Why do people have to argue about what they use to make their music when they should just be out there making the stuff!!

Maybe a site administrator needs to close the topic before it turns nasty.

It's probably a good job that there is one in the room next to me!! :D

Razorjack said:
This thread is never going to stop is it!!

It's all personal opinion/choice,

c'mon guys at the end of the day it all comes down to that. Would you try and preach to someone about the way they play *insert chord here*???

Why do people have to argue about what they use to make their music when they should just be out there making the stuff!!
True, and funny... a few weeks ago someone bitched at me because I play A string major chords with two fingers instead of using 3 to play the notes 2 frets up... which was funny... :)

I don't get it when people (lots of them) say they have so much trouble with PC's. My shit runs like a beast!!!

When asked the question PC's vs. Mac, I always tell people - just kidding.

>>James, besides telling me your personal bad experience with PC's to make your point, you keep telling me that I project my bad experience on others.
It's not only me. Maybe we can make 33 pages here, lets see how creative we are.<<

yes, finally we agree.. we are both biased due to our bad expriences... subject closed. now i'm getting back to my 4th mastering job this month (after 2 mixes).. all without a hiccup from my system. it's been fun Nick, but i'm bowing out.... it's a dead subject anyway, and you'll never change my mind nor i yours.... and yes, i know precisely how Pro Tools Mix and HD systems (tdm) are "powered"...but that doesn't cover the RTAS plugs now does it? i am also aware of MT's Pyramix and it interests me, as does any serious challenger to Digi's monopoly, and it bears more investigation.. but right now i ain't gonna fix what ain't broke.. savvy? i'm out..gotta finish this mastering job and get packing for NAMM... my flight leaves at 7:05 am... no sleep 'til Anaheim!

p.s. Amp Farm was bought from Line6 by Digidesign who haven't done a thing with it... so there won't be any XT sounds on it anytime soon.

James Murphy said:
>>

yes, finally we agree.. we are both biased due to our bad expriences... subject closed. now i'm getting back to my 4th mastering job this month (after 2 mixes).. all without a hiccup from my system.

Same here. =) I'm doing Sting-arrangements for a choir right now using a funny & complex vocodingconstruction so I don't have to hire voices. It even works out very good.
I'm finding solutions to problems I couldn't solve behind the Mac, so I have to admit -every time- I like this householdferrari very much.

And yes, some TDMplugins are truly great. (Sony Oxford on all channels.. <sigh>)

i am also aware of MT's Pyramix and it interests me, as does any serious challenger to Digi's monopoly, and it bears more investigation.. but right now i ain't gonna fix what ain't broke.. savvy?

That's my point.

Based on soundquality Pyramix is (far) superior to ProTools. But PT gets a great mix done in a good workflow, and you love it for that. Everytime you finish something creative behind such a system the love grows.

I wanted to point out that that's also possible behind a PC (to my own big suprise, hence my biasing).

i'm out..gotta finish this mastering job and get packing for NAMM... my flight leaves at 7:05 am... no sleep 'til Anaheim!

Have a good flight & time (comfy walkingshoes!).

p.s. Amp Farm was bought from Line6 by Digidesign who haven't done a thing with it... so there won't be any XT sounds on it anytime soon.

(Damn, was afraid of that.. I liked working with it. Heard Andy's PodXTsample and was blown away (great music too, what band is it?).
I find it hard to mix metal, tracks get in each others spectrum easily. But that Podsound is great, exactly right with just enough room for drums (& keys). Leave it like that and work your Album.
Ok, gonna buy the thing.

(Edit: RTAS doesn't give you freeze (spend money, buy cards!). Keyboardplayers need that when doing (orchestral) arrangements. RTAS LE doesn't do 96 or 192Khz which is closest to DSD. Or do you mean "Get a 192Khz HDsystem with good ADDA and run the plugins native"?)

BTW: http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2005/Creation-Station.html