Mael Mordha - Mael Mordha

Wow, maybe he was having a rough day.
I gave this a few extra spins, because I have a lot of respect for Dark One's opinion. However, I can't say this disc does anything for me. They strike me as a 5th rate Primordial. Perhaps if I had been blown away by them live, as many of you were, I'd carry over some of that enthusiasm to the CD.

Zod

I gave this a few extra spins, because I have a lot of respect for Dark One's opinion. However, I can't say this disc does anything for me. They strike me as a 5th rate Primordial. Perhaps if I had been blown away by them live, as many of you were, I'd carry over some of that enthusiasm to the CD.

Wow, I have to admit, I'm very surprised by this. If anything I've ever recommended would've been something I saw as a no-brainer "General Zod can't miss this" release, this would've been it.

I've even spun it again recently and it hit me every bit at hard as it did the first few times. I think it's pretty outstanding.

Thanks for giving it an extra shot though, it's a shame it hasn't sunk in, in a good way.

Jason

Wow, I have to admit, I'm very surprised by this. If anything I've ever recommended would've been something I saw as a no-brainer "General Zod can't miss this" release, this would've been it.
I can see why. But for some reason, I hear Mael Mordha and start drawing Primordial comparisons, which of course aren't going to be favorable to MM. Part of the reason this release doesn't work for me is the lyrics. This style draws the lyrics front and center, and for my money, their kind of weak.

Thanks for giving it an extra shot though, it's a shame it hasn't sunk in, in a good way.
No problem. I'm sure I'll queue it up again, at some point. And perhaps it will find favor with me then. Thanks for the recommendation.

Zod

Music reviews for the most part are worthless. I don't need some pimply faced peon who isn't man enough to be hand fed a sloppy joe to tell me what music is of high standard. My own two ears are the ultimate authority.

:eek:

SSMT doesn't update very often anymore but when he did it was the only review site I ever looked at regularly. I don't always agree with Chedsey's opinions, but his reviews are often quite humorous and well written.

i believe he's more into punk these days like Nomeansno.

I'm not saying he was guilty of this, but in general, a reviewer simply *has* to put aside the subjectivity of what styles they're digging these days for what's in front of them to review. In listening to the latest Mael Mordha, regardless of having seen their live show or enjoying the style of music they play, the musicianship, emotion and production are all at the very least above average. I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the "Primordialish" style, whether I'm personally into it or not (and of course I *am*).

Jason