Mael Mordha

J. said:
But this will go nowhere, so lets agree to disagree.

I agree, I'm pretty much just backing myself up. If I didn't rely on samples, I would have bought a ton of crap black metal over the years- trust me on that one.

Arcane Sun does not have a Celtic sound, such as including tin whistles, etc. Mael Mordha does. Keep in mind I'm basing MM's sound on the one song I've heard, which was good IMO.

Terrorizer gave the MM album a 8/10. ANyone have the latest Terrorizer, and if so, can you type the review?

I'm just curious.

http://www.metal-invader.com/db/reviews-2536.html

Gaelic doom metal? Yes its true. MAEL MORDHA play it load and proud! And here is a small analysis of what that means. One the one hand we got "doom metal", nowadays a rather 'catch all', umbrella term that signifies those styles of metal that are predominately low tempo and carry a number of significant characteristics such as heaviness, intense darkness, gloomy atmosphere and a story telling mode. Although this should not be considered as an accurate definition of what "doom metal" is, it should help the reader to comprehend how it fits into MAEL MORDHA. So in this case it falls more into the epic sub-category of doom metal.

On the other hand there is "Gaelic". To put it simply, Gaelic represents a set of cultural and ideological aspects of the Irish natives. Those aspects, however, should be examined through a pre-Roman and pre-Christian prism, as those are determined by the Irish people themselves and via their Cultural Revival movements of the 19th and 20th centuries. (For an in depth analysis of the term "Gaelic" and its meanings check the site of Mael Mordha).

"Cluain Tarbh" is an album inspired from the MY DYING BRIDE school (exclude brutal vocals) but mostly from the epic (call me Candlemass) side of doom. Having said that, the band is mixing those two tendencies in a very creative way. On top of this they incorporate additional epic elements borrowed by bands such as DOOMSWORD, MANILLA ROAD and SOLSTICE. As a result, a barbaric - so to speak - colouring is rather evident in some songs: "Pauper Of Souls" for instance - perhaps their most warlike tune.

The folk/pagan/Gaelic flavour is presented mostly with the use of instruments such as whistle and horn and with the use of the Gaelic language. However, the connection between Gaelic culture and doom metal lies much deeper. As band leader Rob said to his last interview with Metal Invader: "Traditional Irish music has many upbeat aspects to it but also has many longing and mournful tunes most of which was composed by our dispossessed bards." The darker aspects of Gaelic history like depression, betrayal, sorrow and death are communicated via Mael Mordha's music. They find an almost perfect vehicle to show up. But there is also rebellion, struggle and a glimpse of hope. Mael Mordha spread the seeds of hope. yet still weep for their swords in the moors.