Magic Never Dies Reviews

We would never blame the messenger dude...hehe!

Well.....what can you say? Each to their own I guess.....as someone once said...."opinions are like assholes....everyone has one"!

I would be interested to see what this dude likes listening too. I have no issues with constructive criticism whatsoever, but this isn't criticism.... it really just boils down to abuse.

I'm quite surprised this actually got printed. Surely a professional magazine is open to critical reviews but for example if I was to write a review for PMUK (okay I know it's on a much smaller scale) which just ripped a band to pieces for no reason I doubt that it would make the site.

Steve, I love the way you summed up 'opinions' :tickled: and I know that this won't deter you and the guys. :headbang:

Moonshadow said:
Well, to be honest, it is REALLY bad! It says something in that way (just a brief translation):

"Which dumbass gave THOSE boys a record deal? The self-appointed Power Metal-Sensation (hahahaha!) from the UK is absolutely horrible, even when you´re totally drunk. This garbage is somewhere between creepy Axxis and Freedom Call and that makes me get diarrhoea at the most. The cheap production and the ugly squaller at the Mic settles the rest, and brainlessly tracks like "Find My Heaven" or "Hold On To Love" are just greasy, slimy grits. Well, I guess that nobody will buy this crap, but it´s very pity, that this untalented pile snatches away an deal from another band."

Don´t forget, Rock Hard is (together with Metal Hammer) the biggest Mag in Germany and they´re well respected, so your image could be damaged for a long time... Sorry to tell you that, but once again, don´t blame the messenger...

Well that's strange, considering they gave Neverworld a 9/10 (I think). PQ haven't changed that much, have they? :ill:

just depends who is doing the review then

remember a few years back, an article appeared in Metal Hammer slagging off Blaze Bayley's time in Maiden (especially the X-Factor album) and when that album had been released the magazine had given it a very strong review

I am absoluty fucking digusted at that review. Is this guy for real?

If Rock Hard is supposed to the biggest mag in Germany, then this reviewer must be a professional reviewer and if so cant he pick out the bad points of the album rather than just hurling a flagon of abuse for absoluty no reason whatsoever. He doesnt even say why the songs are shit, or even go through any of the other racks!? :ill:

You know I review albums myself and I try to explain the points as to why the album is dissapointing. Im not a pro but I dont think im bad at what I do. I wont go and say "Oh Sorry I think yoir album sucks shit" :yuk:

Steve mate, dont lose heart over that review, I can understand you will be gutted. Theres many many other PQ fans who are with you 100% like me and that weird chap called Dream Thief. Not trying to sound like a fanboy or something, but Ive liked the quest since album one and in my honest opinion you are getting better and better.

Anyone can feel free to disagree with me, but like I say its my own humble opinion and I know a good band when I see one and I can certainly say that PQ are a very good band.

Sorry for the language in here as well! :Spin:

END OF RANT! :p

Rock-it Magazine: 05/2005
Reviewed by: Tommy Becher
Rating: 7 stars (7/10)
Comparable Bands: Axxis, Sonata Arctica

?If SONATA ARCTICA should have the idea to team up with AXXIS singer
Bernhard and record an album, this would be the result. So for all those
who are into that kind of music, they are dead right with POWER QUEST. The
quality of all 10 songs is quite high, but although being in the top
league seems close, it is not completely achieved yet. But the guys
definitely have this potential. And this has been proofed with ?Magic
Never Dies?. I recommend listening to ?Diamond Sky? as a starter, which
strongly reminds me of old Helloween classics.? :headbang:

Here's the Terrorizer review for ya...if you haven't seen it already.......

"The metal world has been suffocated by pompous, widdly Euro-muso cheese in the past few years, leaving power metal virtually a creatively dead genre being continually jerked around by time wasters without a single new idea. And yet, Power Quest succeed in taking every cliche of the form and playing them with such conviction and audacity that it actually works. There IS life in this music, in even the slickest, most saccharine sing-song refrain (opener Find my Heaven plunges us straight into the nutrasweet), and conviction and audacity are the nebulous qualities seemingly required to draw it out.
From here, Power Quest take on DragonForce at their own game and force the tempo through the roof with on Galaxies Unknown, flirt with A-Ha balladry on "The Message" and perfectly pastiche a fading NWOBHM band's cackhanded stab at radio rock accessibility circa 1984 on "Hold on to Love". In fact the mixture of speedy power metal and freakishly authentic sounding 80's AOR and their anive, out of step charm, makes Power Quest a far more versatile and likeable act than most.

7/10 Chris Chantler

Symphony said:

At your service, Steve. :D

Few, if any, can keep up with the happy-go-lucky melodicism of British-Italian combo Power Quest. Together with the harmless singsong of Freedom Call, they manufacture what is most probably the most slick power metal available on today's market. As Power Quest release their naively easy-going derivate the third time around, it's AOR and jolly feelgood Eurovision schlager that fuels my synapses.
Whoever is the main composer of the band, it must be confirmed beyond all reasonable doubt that this tosser (NOT IN THE NEGATIVE SENSE - ed. /Alex) leads a pretty sorrowfree life in some Peter Pan-ish delirium with many coloured castles, kept away from all kinds of evil. Or well, that's at least my interpretation of the only probable reason for the harmless appearance that is Magic Never Dies.
So be it, that "The Message" is a cheesy ballad about a failed relationship, but well, it's a pretty insubstantial heartache kinda thingy, after all, which in the costume of Power Quest feels pretty false. If it's supposed to be tra-la-la, it's gonna be tra-la-la all the way, and not some snail-paced halfbreed (in Power Quest-measures, that is.)
And as far as that's concerned, I receive more than enough on this hour long journey. "Find My Heaven", "Soulfire" "Strike force" and "Galaxies Unknown" are little well-polished pearls pulsating along in a speedy tempo, carrying along some extremely easily digestible melodies. The songs stick on the first listen and do not grow remarkably with time, which is no problem, however, as they, along with their predecessor Neverworld impress with their spontaneity and melodic goodwill. The almost shameless AOR-rendezvous of "Hold on to love" does not really come as a shock, but here, my preferences accordingly, the sugary keyboards are almost too much. Generally, though, they balance skillfully on the border between AOR and power metal, and excel in both the careless verse-chorus-structure of the former, as well as in the feeling of speed and bombast of the latter.
Magic Never Dies is, as expected, a solid album which entertains, but which won't make any big headlines in the world of metal. Good, withouth reaching any surprising heights.

7/10