Magic Never Dies Reviews

Powerplay review September 05

"Occasionally I reap the fruits of my years of service to Powerplay big time. This time, it's by getting my hands on an advance copy of the eagerly anticipated third album from UK power metal sensations Power Quest, so hot off the presses that the postie was wearing gloves to deliver it.
Was it worth the wait? Of course it was, but let me try and be objective rather than just give you a 100 word cliche-ridden love-in. Fresh from the move to the Majestic Rock label, "Magic Never Dies" picks up where "Neverworld" left off in terms of blending the melodic lines of Steve Williams' keyboard work, as good as any in the genre, and the guitars of Andrea Martongelli *, pin sharp under the production of Karl Groom once more, to create an album that spans fantasy power metal, melodic metal and hard rock.
The swooping orchestral intro brings to mind the epic film score metal of Rhapsody at their best, and tracks like "Find my Heaven", "Soulfire" and the title track show off once more the band's ability to write killer hooks, with the addition of new drummer Francesco Tresca, giving the sort of solid anchor that makes it all possible. I even have to admit that the ballad "Hold on to Love" (reminiscent in more than the just the title of an old song by The Promise) is damn catchy!
Better than Neverworld? Well, I still say that "For evermore" is my favourite PQ track but overall Magic Never Dies is slicker, more polished, more confident and will undoubtedly continue Power Quest's inexorable rise to the summit of power metal. 9/10

Malcolm Coull

* in the original review it actually said Alessio Garavello instead of Andrea

Amazon.de – Germany
Customer review

Power Quest Strikes again
5 stars

Luckily I own this UK launched album for some weeks now. A fantastic successor to their album NeverWorld the UK power metal band was able to deliver here. Basically I am not even into that style in particular, but I have to say this CD totally blew me off. The singer’s voice has developed since the other 2 albums again and with his very powerful and clear voice he totally rocks the 10 songs. Being supported by a hammering bass from Steve Scott and an impressive keyboard from Steve Williams this “WOW” effect even gets stronger. Their ability for ballads is clearly proved with The Message. I strongly believe that some of the songs have clear potential to become a classic, ear candy they are already: Soulfire, Children of the Dreams and Magic Never Dies. But also Strikeforce for me is a top class title. The whole album is catchy and harmonious and you clearly realise that the guys had a lot of fun. This can be especially witnessed on the bonus-DVD, a funny extra not only for true PQ fans. This package is worth every single penny: BUY it and keep on head banging!

Power Quest - Magic Never Dies (Ltd. CD+DVD)
Save for the progressive metal sphere where our very own Threshold can easily hold their own with anyone, anywhere (Dream Theater included), the UK domestic scene still lags somewhat behind it's continental and North American cousins. That holds true whether it's AOR, traditional hard rock / metal, or power metal, although in the latter category we are at least beginning to make some headway. Southampton based Power Quest are a perfect case in point. Debuting in 2003 with their exuberant 'Wings Of Forever' album they certainly weren't lacking in enthusiasm, although it wasn't until last year's 'Neverworld' effort that they really began to develop their craft as songwriters. Now, with the release of 'Magic Never Dies', they've taken things to the next level. Primarily influenced by the cream of the European symphonic power metal crop (Stratovarius, Rhapsody, etc.), their stock in trade is lightning fast riffs, pulsating keyboard swells, and passionate, highly melodic songs. On the debut, these pretty much manifested as 50 minutes of high speed burnouts, but increasingly Power Quest have learned to temper that unbridled enthusiasm, mixing and matching tempo's to ensure a much more rounded (and therefore enjoyable) aural experience. Sure, they still hit the gas on regular occasions, but slower tracks like 'The Message', 'Children Of The Dream', and 'Hold On To Love' are now offering much more contrast, with the end result that when they do go for the throat, the dynamics are that much more exhilarating. Once again produced by Threshold's Karl Groom, 'Magic Never Dies' is far and away the best thing to come out of the Power Quest camp to date … indeed I'll go one further, it's probably the best symphonic metal album to emerge from these shores in the last decade. Excellent! (D.Cockett)

Don't know if this one's been posted already but found it whilst looking for the tracklisting:

http://www.nehrecords.com/SHOP/PowerMagic.htm[url="http://www.nehrecords.com/SHOP/PowerMagic.htm" said:
[/url]]
Widely regarded as the pick of the European melodic power metal litter, POWER QUEST return with their third album 'Magic Never Dies'. Available for a very limited time as a 2 disc dig-pack with a 'Making Of The Album' with expanded artwork. 'Magic Never Dies' is a glorious evocation of all things epic and melodic, with the vocals soaring and the music pounding. Not as pompous as Rhapsody or as frantic in their approach as Dragonforce, POWER QUEST are the power metal act with all the tunes…as this album graphically demonstrates! Again produced by Karl Groom at Thin Ice studios - hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! - 'Magic Never Dies' is easily the band's best album thus far and shows just why POWER QUEST are the leaders in their field.

Still no review at MetalReviews.com.

I have been waiting every Monday for another PowerQuest review. They gave Neverworld a 90 something out of 100, but Wings of Forever a 78/100 (which is still a damn good score).

Finally a review from the greatest metal reviewing site on the planet...

...METALREVIEWS.COM

http://www.metalreviews.com/

They scored Neverworld in the 90's, and Wings of Forever in the high 70's.

EDIT: Ok, I just noticed that I can not directly link the review, so click on new weekly reviews to see "MAGIC NEVER DIES."

cool....thanks for the heads up! Not so keen on the 80's stuff eh? hehe!

MetalNESS said:
Finally a review from the greatest metal reviewing site on the planet...

...METALREVIEWS.COM

http://www.metalreviews.com/

They scored Neverworld in the 90's, and Wings of Forever in the high 70's.

EDIT: Ok, I just noticed that I can not directly link the review, so click on new weekly reviews to see "MAGIC NEVER DIES."

From the Musicians Union magazine

"This must be the most lavish, expensive production package ever received at MU towers. Replete with DVD, this album arrives with highly developed artwork, photography, inlay booklet, fold-out case and shouts major rock event coming your way! All this exactly matches the music too. ELP, Queen, Asia, Rainbow, Michael Schenker....it's all here in abundance.
A gentle intro Ascension sets the mood but this is swiftly followed by Find my Heaven which hits 600 in a highway with a mere 30mph speed limit, mowing everything down in its path. There's going to be a huge market for this in Europe providing the band can deliver a live show in keeping with expectations. The amazing speed playing and a tuneful chorus on Strike Force is highly skillful and should impress the power metal fans.
Big, loud and sci-fi! Phew!"

Symphony said:
hey! No, nobody has mentioned that but I'm guessing it's a bad thing...haha!

Well I guess you can't please everyone all the time.....so long as a review is constructive I have no problems with it whatsoever. I only get annoyed when the reviewer obviously hasn't taken the time to actually listen or just dimisses the record because it has keyboards!

:lol: You shouldn´t pay too much attention to that, German Rock Hard magazine is very well known for it´s bad taste!

:headbang: