Maiden Heaven

I got this the other day. It's alright but there is only about 6 good covers and some god awful Kerrang! endorsed bands who should have been put on another CD entitled Murdering Maiden

1. obviously Dream Theater, 2. i'm gonna go with Black Tide, 3. Metallica.
Machine Heads cover of Hallowed be they name was pretty decent as well, they even managed to put the opening bars of where eagles dare at the end. But yeah a lot of it is shite

I was rather disappointed, not that i particularly expected too much from it...

There are some nice ones where they've completely thrown out maiden's music pretty much and put their own spin on it, it's a nice thing to hear different versions like that, though most of them don't actually interest me. RTTH has a pretty nice chorus on it though.

Fightstar are predictably awful.... Fear of the durrk? no thanks.. learn to sing mate!

Most of the solos are completely fudged too... as the bands can't play anywhere near maiden's standard... possibly a reason why a few of the songs were very rewritten, to cover the fact they couldn't play the solos...

Metallica's version wasn't too amazing imo.. but then they're shite these days anyway.. St. Anger...Death Magnetic.. wtf??

And to be fair even DT's cover didn't wow me... i was expecting a lot from them and though it's the best cover quality wise it would have been nice if they put more of their own spin on it rather than just directly copying it. But then when they've played full cover albums live they've not really changed any of the songs, except for maybe Gangland!

Decided to see for myself.

Baring in mind they're Maiden songs so it's not the song thats shit or whatever it's the quality of the cover:

1. Alright
2. Ok
3. Meh
4. Shite
5. Crap
6. Average
7. HA! :lol:
8. Probably the only track worth a listen
9. Load of piss
10. Awful
11. Bareable
12. Nothing special
13. As terrible as they are when they support Maiden ¬_¬
14. Not bad
15. Piss poor

So there you have it.

Decided to see for myself.

Baring in mind they're Maiden songs so it's not the song thats shit or whatever it's the quality of the cover:

1. Alright
2. Ok
3. Meh
4. Shite
5. Crap
6. Average
7. HA! :lol:
8. Probably the only track worth a listen
9. Load of piss
10. Awful
11. Bareable
12. Nothing special
13. As terrible as they are when they support Maiden ¬_¬
14. Not bad
15. Piss poor

So there you have it.

So you only liked the ones that were exactly like the originals then Dom? :p With the amount of musical ability and knowledge contained within DT you'd think they'd be able to do more than play a song exactly as it is written on a page. But then that's all they ever do with their covers. Yawn.

I liked the ones that the bands had actually made an effort to do something with and bring out new elements in the songs that reflect their own style i.e. Gallows punk rendition of Wrathchild was exceptional. It's already a pretty raw and punkish song so it was a good choice for them too.

There were many fails in this case as well however. Devildriver especially doing the most grusome murder of a song I've ever heard.

That might have been a factor :p

I've said on here before about covers, you get two kinds: 1. Trying to stay as true to the original as possible 2. Putting your own spin on it.
But if you don't like the spin (i.e. a punk spin, an emo spin, a screamo spin, a post-hardcore spin, metalcore spin, etc) then of course you'll prefer the other kind.