Maidens withdrawl. tour synopsis June 14-20th

picapj71

New Metal Member
Jun 11, 2003
Binghamton, NY
www.oneonta.edu
Man, I'm going through Maidens withdrawal.

I first heard of The Maidens through a friend of mine who is good friends with Nick Fuoco-the local promoter here in NY. A female tribute to Iron Maiden seemed like a worthy novelty, and as time passed, a local show here in Binghamton (Downtown Quarterback) was booked. Our local radio station-WKGB-played some Maidens tunes, and I knew that I just had to check them out.

Saturday at The Quarterback was insane. I never would have predicted such and enthusiastic turnout for anything having to do with old-school metal like Iron Maiden. The VH1ers could not be tamed! Even the local death metal guys who hate everything, were convinced of the Maidens' prowess from the moment Aces High kicked into allegro. The elderly staff at The Quarterback wasn't quite prepared to deal with that kind of physically imposing crowd that threatened to envelope the six-inch high stage. Besides the fact that the "fire" effects kept getting knocked over, no real damage was done. It was the best show in Binghamton in quite some time.

Sunday night I traveled an hour north to Syracuse to check out the Maidens at The Bridge Street Music Hall. This is a large, beautiful venue with high ceilings, a huge stage, and a superior sound system. Unfortunately the crowd was smaller than hoped for. I think you need about 400 people in that place to look good though. Not to happen on a Sunday night in Syracuse. The after-hours was attended by the Nick the promoter and all of his local friends, "Eddy," and Minimurry also attended. One out of four Maidens isn't so bad. Sara is the festive one. I got home around six AM, and prepared for my after-hours decision to make the road trip to NYC on Wednesday.

Nick and Chucky "Love" picked me up around 11:00 AM Wednesday morning. Only an hour behind schedule! Not bad in music time. We got into The City about 3 hours later, and spent the day finding the Tribeca Rock Club, trying to park, and wandering around with our redneck heads in that position that turkeys have been alleged to have drowned in.

The Tribeca is a bizarre kind of place in which the band dressing area downstairs is larger than the whole club upstairs. It seemed like the club was more suited to stand-up comedy that live music, but then something weird happened. This local band called Gods of Fire (www.gods-of-fire.com) took the stage and performed a sort of parody of neo-classical, Maidenesque, Fates Warning type of stuff to an ever-more crowded and enthusiastic club. Plastic pants, a faked death, costume black angel wings, soaring metal vocals, extra-long songs, dueling guitar solos, and overblown poses were all crammed into their 45-or-so minute set. These guys belong in Prague, and singer: Prometheus Unbound assured me that within a year, "God of Fire would be in Europe." During the singer's costume change, a well-dressed announcer came out a delivered a monologue in which he referred to Prometheus as "your hero and my pawn." Weird shit. Funny...kind of.

Next up was Nick’s band "Cold Ethyl"-an Alice Cooper tribute who brought even more props and side performers. These included and electric chair, "Alice" battling his captors, and fake blood.

It was truly the night of stage props, and the Iron Maidens were no exception. The fire effects, fire extinguishers, pre-recorded Maiden intros, and multiple Eddies ruled their set. The girls come with approximately three "Eddies," but the local Maiden tribute band brought along some of theirs as well. I really liked the "Redcoat" Eddy with blue jeans. Get some white pants, dude.

I made the mistake of buying a couple of disposable cameras and I have too many pics of the whole trip. I really wanted to snap a picture of the Maidens when they were all "primping" and shit, but I was forcibly prevented seconds before pushing the button, and a bright red door was slammed in my face. Ooh, female domination. I'm still giddy.

The crowd was definitely into it, but the highlight of the night was the last song when Alex Skolnik (www.alexskolnick.com) sat in for The Trooper. His solo ripped, and afterwards, Alex, The Maidens, Nick, Chucky "love," and I all went out to breakfast. I really dug Testament back in the day, and I was a pleasure to hear Alex talk about anything musical.

After breakfast, Nick, Chucky, and I drove to Jersey City and crashed at a house rented out by the band Superthrive(www.superthrivejc.com/main/index.html). These three guys and a chick were nice enough to leave their door open for us, let us crash, take showers, etc. In the morning, all the guys in Superthrive were gone, and Chucky, me, and James, who lived in the house, smoked lots of dope and talked about life and stuff.

Eventually we left Jersey City and headed homewards. Nick and the Maidens were playing that night (Thursday by now) in a town called Ithaca at a place called The Haunt which is about an hour from my home of Binghamton, NY. I wasn't going to go, but my roomate and her man were looking for something to do, so we hit the road for Ithaca.

First up was a local band called Boiler. Three piece "dirt metal." Not quite cookie monster, but definitely gravely vocals and heavy guitars. Two of the members of Nick's band Cold Ethyl didn't show up for the gig, so on went the Maidens. By now it was clear that they were going to kick ass wherever they went so another show description would be redundant.

That weekend there was a festival called Nikstock after...you guessed it; Nick Fuoco, the main organizer and participant. All it did was fucking rain the whole time. About forty bands played this drunken, muddy, overnight camping, weekend festival including The Iron Maidens and Nick's other band; Tempter. The other members of Cold Ethyl were MIA at this point so Tempter was the headliner on Friday night. The Maiden's, who were scheduled for Saturday, were nice enough to come up for Nick's birthday celebration on Friday during Tempter's set and hit Nick with six cream pies. The ladies braved the rain and the mud for a while, and I had the pleasure of a nice long conversation with Wanda about music, the road, education, etc. I just love the way she says "spooge." After Nick's cream-filled assault only Minimurry and "Eddy" hung out for the rest of the evening.

Saturday was the final rain filled day of Nikstock when the Maidens played. They were the highlight of the festival, and everyone trodded through the mud and braved the rain to be in front.

After the show, the girls packed up and shipped out, and I was somehow saddened. As I type this, I know that in a short time I'll be heading back to work and the regular life, and this mini-Maiden vacation is over. I had a blast all week, and I hope that the ladies hold true to the promise that "We'll be back in about four months." I'll be counting the moments.

Patrick Picarsic
Binghamton, NY
www.oneonta.edu/students/picapj71
picapj71@yahoo.com

The girls come with approximately three "Eddies," but the local Maiden tribute band brought along some of theirs as well. I really liked the "Redcoat" Eddy with blue jeans. Get some white pants, dude.

Patrick Picarsic
Binghamton, NY
picapj71@yahoo.com[/QUOTE]

For anyone interested, the local Iron Maiden tribute Patrick was referring to is "Sanctuary". Our web address is http://www.sanctuary.maidenrules.com. As for the Trooper in white pants, sorry Patrick, Eddie doesn't wear white pants dude. The Trooper wears blue pants. Visit
http://netsector.com/tony/maiden/pics/singles/trooper.jpg , in case your not sure what I'm talking about.

trooper.jpg

SANCTUARY---Mark, Jen & Tom: Thank you soooooooooo much for all your help at Tribeca from the addition of the Trooper Eddie, the GIANT mummy eddie, and the extra gear for Jojo and Alex to use. The promoter wasn't able to provide the amps we needed so your generous help was invaluable. Thanks a zillion!!! You really helped make the night great! Next time we're in town I want to catch YOUR show!

Brucie Chickinson said:
SANCTUARY---Mark, Jen & Tom: Thank you soooooooooo much for all your help at Tribeca from the addition of the Trooper Eddie, the GIANT mummy eddie, and the extra gear for Jojo and Alex to use. The promoter wasn't able to provide the amps we needed so your generous help was invaluable.

Yeah! Your gear kicked ass, Mark! I was grateful for it. That was definitely one of the better sound I had while out there. Thanks for your support- I know it ain't easy hauling around gear in NYC. You rock!

Hi ladies (Jenny & Jojo),
I'm glad to hear that New York was really good to you. My wife Jennifer, myself, and Tom, all had an excellent time. I never played Eddie before, so the Trooper makes my 1st ever, live Eddie appearance.

I have quite a few digital photo's, and the last 6 songs of your show on video, including the Trooper with Alex on guitar. RJ had me film the 1st few songs for him in the beginning of the show, tell him to hook me up.

Jenny - there's a nice photo of you and your uncle together, as well as some really good performance photo's.

Jojo - you looked rather pleased with that lead channel with the phaser effect. It sounded killer on Number of the Beast. I left the labled tape job you did on my footswitch. It's an Iron Maidens memorabilia thing now.

Anyway, I'm glad I was able to come through for you ladies. Perhaps for your next New York visit, we can discuss the possibility of the using our mini Live After Death/heiroglphics stage set with simulated super flames, and the "REAL" giant show closer mummy. Jojo, you can take my amp for another spin live if need be.

Take care ladies & keep in touch, don't forget, I have photo's & video to exchange with ya.

Mark

SanctuaryIMT said:
The girls come with approximately three "Eddies," but the local Maiden tribute band brought along some of theirs as well. I really liked the "Redcoat" Eddy with blue jeans. Get some white pants, dude.

Patrick Picarsic
Binghamton, NY
picapj71@yahoo.com

For anyone interested, the local Iron Maiden tribute Patrick was referring to is "Sanctuary". Our web address is http://www.sanctuary.maidenrules.com. As for the Trooper in white pants, sorry Patrick, Eddie doesn't wear white pants dude. The Trooper wears blue pants. Visit
http://netsector.com/tony/maiden/pics/singles/trooper.jpg , in case your not sure what I'm talking about.

trooper.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hey dude, Eddie didn't wear skin-tight Wranglers in that pic either. You should have just thrown on some leather chaps. I was wrong about the white pants, though. I think some bloody, ripped white pants would make that Eddie rock.

Hi Pat. Sounds like you saw the band long before I joined, and the band hasn't been back to NY since then. I'd say we're long overdue for an east coast tour! Somebody wave the magic wand and make it so!