Malmsteen about other guitarists

Wasn't this issue the one with malmsteen on a swimming pool with guitars on the water? I had that issue too...I feel old too :p

And I agree with 90% of what he said.

He's also a guy that yes, can be repetitive, but has been copied by so many people, has a really tasteful vibrato...dunno, I respect the guy 100%

Funny reading that from a guy who still has to write a good song or solo.
He knows how to rape a stratocaster and make it sound like shit while beeing fast tho!

<---same opinion as Mago :D
probably a bad idea when a German follows an Austrian...

but for real, I am just not into just shredding stuff, I respect him for his playing, but I can't remember a
damn song from him and I listened to alot Malmsteen stuff.
At the same time, I remember stuff from all the other guys he reviewed even if I am not a Fan of Vai or
Satriani, too.

I respect his command of the guitar, he is great at what he does.
I just dont like what he does.

Fast as hell lick up... bend.
Fast lick down.. vibrato/bend.
fast as hell lick up....bend
ETC
ETC
ETC
ETC

As for the show he did with a live orchestra, OMG WTF LMFAO! :loco:
I got 2 or 3 songs in and had to turn it off before I punched mrs pikachu69.
Metallica -1 Malmsteen - 0

How any guitarist of any style could listen to Icarus Dream Opus 4 for the first time and not walk away completely floored is amazing to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa Whoa Whoa there my brother from an Austrian mother!

You telling me that THIS is not awesome?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jujfBtrVASw

Yep. Malmsteen and Slayer. 2 things we won't agree on ;)

I can get an idea of what he ment to do with a song, but the way he plays it ruins it for me.
I don't say he plays without feeling cause he does, but I don't like it. Doesn't sound clean to me at all, and I don't like the attitude it translates.
I'm all up for hard playing, really diggin Zakk Wylde for example, but Malmsteen...I dunno...
He plays like a lumberjack (dunno if I can say that in english...or even in german :lol:)
I respect that he has done pioneer work for shredding, and he does make some valid points in the article ;)
But I'm also neither a huge fan of Vai or Satriani, so maybe it's just me.

<---same opinion as Mago :D
probably a bad idea when a German follows an Austrian....

:lol:

Malmsteen is very funny.

His early albums are good, and I could say the same about Seventh Sign and Magnum Opus. The rest of the albums are very boring.

I remember being on his backstage due to an interview for Kerrang spanish magazine in 1995 (he finally declined). A little boy of about 12 years old went to Yngwie to have his guitar signed. It was some cheap beginner guitar, but the poor little guy was very excited for it. Yngwie took his permamanent marker pen and instead of singing he wrote on the guitar "play Fender". What a fucking stupid idiot!

He was totally drunk but when he went into stage he played everything so perfect! :yow: Musicians that night were amazing, Olausson, Vescera, Terrana...

He was totally drunk but when he went into stage he played everything so perfect! :yow:

Reminds me of Waldemar Sorychta :D

the guy was so drunk he almost fell over like 3 times going down the stairs from the backstage area and even struggled to get his guitar around his neck but once he was playing .... holy fucking hell!

As for Yngwie ... Vescera told me some really fucking funny stories about him ... the sad kind of funny

Well, I really love the earlier things Yngwie did from a song perspective. Up until Fire & Ice I think he made a bunch of good songs and albums. I really wish that he would work with a decent producer now instead of doing it himself. His latest records are badly produces in my opinion.
But I love his honesty and his playing skills!

A little boy of about 12 years old went to Yngwie to have his guitar signed. It was some cheap beginner guitar, but the poor little guy was very excited for it. Yngwie took his permamanent marker pen and instead of singing he wrote on the guitar "play Fender". What a fucking stupid idiot!

LOL awesome.

I learned a lot from Yngwie tabs when starting out. Rhythm came from Hetfield. I still respect both of those guys.