Mandatory Now Playing

Scorpions - Blackout
Nile - Permitting the Noble Dead to Descend to the Underworld

Dream Theater - Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (Live)

I've been listening to waaaay too much Dream Theater lately.

I've been listening to waaaay too much Dream Theater lately.

then recommend me an album :lol: a few weeks ago some friend played a certain Dream Theater CD but a i have no idea what's the name of the album but what i heard was great.

apart from that, i just want to get to know some Dream Theater

:D

Lets see....

When Day and Dream Unite - Amazing album in its own way, but James Labrie wasn't the vocalist on this one, Charlie Dominici was. Not a bad singer, just not a very original one. Think..... Geddy Lee + Steve Perry from Journey. Highlights : Afterlife, Only a Matter of Time, The Yste Jam, The Killing Hand

Images and Words - The first album with singer James Labrie. Godly album. Words cannot describe it, so I won't even try. Metropolis Pt.1, Under a Glass Moon, Learning to Live, and Wait for Sleep are among my favorite DT songs. Pull Me Under is the band's only Top 10 hit, and was featured in Guitar Hero World Tour. Its a tough choice between this one and.....

Awake - The progressive metal masterpiece. Its a strange blend of like, really dark music, heavily distorted guitar and keyboards. This is the last album before LaBrie fucked his voice up, and is the last album with keyboardist Kevin Moore. Highlights : 6:00, Voices, The Mirror, Lie, SPACE DYE VEST (One of my favorite songs ever.)

A Change of Seasons EP - A weird little album.... Its got one studio track, the 24 minute "A Change of Seasons", and five live covers. The covers are all mashed up too. For example, Led Zeppelin Medley is The Rover/Achilles Last Stand/The Song Remains the Same. Its worth mentioning, but not a first DT album purchase by any means.

Falling into Infinty - Now don't get me wrong, I think ALL Dream Theater albums are great..... This one is just the least great. Part of that is due to management and producers trying to push the band to be more mainstream, which is why this is the last album to be "conventional" in that way. Highlights : Anna Lee, Hollow Years, Trail of Tears, Lines in the Sand

Metropolis Pt.2 : Scenes from a Memory - Magnificent album. It carries the same story as the song "Metropolis Pt.1" all the way back from Images and Words. Its a concept album about a woman named Victoria who cheats on her husband with his brother and the brother ends up killing them both, this takes place in the 30's. In present times, there is a man named Nicholas who believes he is the spiritual reincarnation of Victoria and seeks help. Highlights : This album really works better as a whole as apposed to single songs, but regardless : One More Time, Through Her Eyes, Home, Finally Free

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - Hehehe..... This album isn't the best place to start either due to its length, but, its great nontheless. Its a two disc album featuring.......... SIX songs total. The title track is 45 minutes long and takes up the entire second disc.
:eek:
Highlights : Misunderstood, Disappear, Six Degrees on Inner Turbulence

Train of Thought - Not really a good starting point either. This album is their heaviest to date, but it looses a bit of that Dream Theater charm along the way. Five of the seven songs on this album are over 10 minutes, so its a long ass album. Highlights : VACANT, In the Name of God, Honor Thy Father

Octavarium - One of my favorites. This album is also a concept album of sorts, about being trapped in an Octavarium, and having to restart when you end, but at the place you began. The album notes are all about the numbers five and eight, which is supposed to mean something about piano scales or something. Wiki says : each octave contains eight naturals and five accidentals. Portnoy suggested that they write the entire album based around the concept. Each song also uses pieces of other songs as backing pieces, and the melodies are almost all the same throughout the whole album, thus reinforcing the fact that you are trapped in the Octavarium. And Panic Attack is on Rock Band 2, so you may heard of it before.
Highlights : Panic Attack, These Walls, OCTAVARIUM, The Answer Lies Within

Systematic Chaos - The band's first album with Roadrunner Records. This one has the song Constant Motion featured on Rock Band, so you may have heard that one. This album kinda reminds me of Train of Thought, because it goes for the heavier approach as apposed to the melodic one. In the Presence of Enemies Pt.1 starts the album and Pt.2 ends the album and is 24 minutes total. There was also a video made for Forsaken.
Highlights : Prophets of War, In the Presence of Enemies, Constant Motion, Forsaken

Black Clouds and Silver Linings - The band's latest album, and also the last with Mike Portnoy. :(
Really amazing album, but most songs stretch on past the 10 minute mark. Since Six Degrees, Mike Portnoy has had one song on each album talk about the dangers of alchohol abuse, and the song The Shattered Fortress finally ends that story. There was a music video made for Wither, and its now one of the band's biggest hits. Every song on this album relates to a personal experience that each on the band members has had. The Best of Times is about Portnoy's father, who passed away shortly before recording. The Count of Tuscany is about John Petrucci freaking out when he met the count of Tuscany. :lol:
Highlights : Wither, THE COUNT OF TUSCANY, A Nightmare to Remember

And to answer your question, Images and Words and/or Awake would be the best place to start.

Glad to be of assistance. :D

When it comes to Dream Theater, I don't fuck around. :lol:

In my opinion, you should probably go :
Images and Words
Awake
Scenes From a Memory
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Octavarium
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Train of Thought
Systematic Chaos
When Day and Dream Unite