Manowar SHOCKED me!

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
I've never been a fan of Manowar. Aside from the buckets of cheese, the music just didn't do much for me. I'd heard most of "Fighting the World", back in the day, and didn't care for it. So, I've always overlooked the band.

Fast-forward 15+ years:

Last Friday night, the Eddie Trunk radio show played a song by Manowar named "Dark Avenger". Instantly, I was intrigued. Apparently, it was from the band's first album......it was NOT grossly overproduced as most of their output is.
The vocals were awesome, the melody strong....and Orson Welles voice kicked ass!

So, on a whim, I decided to grab my balls & buy the CD (Battle Hymns).
And, I must say, I'm SHOCKED! This album kicks total ass! I've never realized
how good this band is! These are great songs....very catchy, tons of melody....awesome vocals.....and a great bass player!

I like it so much, that I went out & took a stab at "Fighting the World". Either I've matured (or not!), or was just ignorant as a youth, because this album ALSO RULES (aside from the putrid "Blow Your Speakers")!!

Are the rest of the band's records as good as these two????

:D Well I am A big Fan so you might not want to take my word for it but YES THEY ARE!!!!! hehehe Actually if you go and get Into Glory Ride,Louder than Hell,Kings of Metal you will be all set with Manowar! tho if you still want more after get the rest ... Like I said I'ma fan so I like all their records.... Be sure to get Into Glory Ride that album rules!

madcheese9377 said:
Now you got me wanting to go search for more Manowar, 'D' you bastard! heh heh.
I didn't know they had so many albums, I'm also a huge fan.
On top of the ones I mentioned there is also Hail to England,Sign of the Hammer,Triumph of Steel, And Warriors of the world which all all Very good too ..... :) Being a Bastard is something I do well hehehehe

If you liked Orson Wells in 'Dark Avenger', check out 'Defender" from Fighting The World, which is also a very strong album. Warriors of he World was pretty weak, imo, simply because of all the ballads. The fast stuff on that album is great.

I just picked up "Fighting The World" on vinyl about a month ago, I dig it! I've never given them a far listen before because of the cheese factor, but now it looks like I'll be hunting down the 80's releases.

JonnyD said:
hahahhahahahaha thats Hard to say I will give you my Top 3 Into Glory Ride,Louder than Hell,and Kings of Metal IMO those are the best ones
Louder than hell is such a great album.

Brothers of metal and Courage are fucking brilliant songs. Manowar's Anthems are some of the best.

"We are fighting with power and steel
Fighting for metal, metal that's real
Brothers of metal will always be there
Standing together with hands in the air"

My favorite is "Into Glory Ride". In fact I saw them on that tour in a small place before o, 150 people or so. They were great. Meeting them was a dissapointment though, all bla bla and no real personallity :(

During that tour they released the "Gloves of metal EP. There were two songs on it.
Of course "Gloves of Metal" and "Defender"

The old version of Defender, the original one, is much better than the "newer one" the vocals are more passionate and the guitar solo is also better. Try to find that verion its one of their best songs!

Battle Hymns is one of my favorit Metal recordings, but the later the albums, the cheezier they got I think.....

JonnyD said:
I dont know what Krieg is but that Hitler thing is Great!

Krieg, the thing you're in when you go for a kill
gun.gif