Marcels new gear

SaTriaNi

Oct 19, 2002
the Netherlands
www.chameleon-band.tk
Long time ago since I posted something here. Good to hear Sun Caged are getting ready for a new album! But a question for Marcel: I looked at your page today and saw that you've got an endorsement with Carvin! How did you get that so suddenly? Did it change your sound a lot? I also noticed that you got an Ibanez RG1527 instead of the RG 7680 LTD? Why did you sell your RG7680?

b.t.w.: Me and Marcel are one of the few in Holland that have got an RG2820 CTTW ;) I think it's one of the most beautiful guitars Ibanez ever made.

Anyway, I justed wanted to get some activity in the Sun Caged forum ;)

p.s. Marcel, als je je XP100 ooit nog eens kwijt wil, ben ik geinteresseerd :p

Hello there

I am talking to Carvin at the moment about which set up I am going to play on. I tried the Legacy which is a great amp, but it sounds totally different from my own gear, too different actually, it also is caused by the type of speakers in the cabinet. The Legacy has vintage-30 speakers in it, which is not really my taste ;)

So I am still talking to them about which set up I am going to use.

So at the moment I still use my regular gear i am using for a few years now.

I sold the RG7-680 because the XL neck was too big for my tiny hands. Therefore I got this prestige 7 string from Ibanez which is really a cool guitar. I just will replace the pickups since they are not that great.

About the XP-100 : I just re-bought one, since my old one was broken, I still have the old one for spare parts though :)

Marcel

Where did you buy that XP-100? I'm looking for one but can't find it anywhere.

Did you record the Steve Morse jam video with the Carvin? (I saw it standing in the back of the room) cause you still had your 'normal' sound although it seemed a little different. Maybe the sound mostly comes from your fingers ;)

About that pickups, they are the same as in your RG2820 aren't they? My RG2820 sounds good with the Ibz/DiMarzio pickups but maybe because I never heard it with other pickups. But the RG1527 doesn't have a Mahogany body, which also makes a difference.

p.s. I'm that young guy who you talked to at a clinic at Hakkert music in Rotterdam ;)

Hey Marcel, have you tried Carvin's Tone Navigator (Frank Gambale's signature) preamp? FG used to play through a Marshall JMP-1 too before he started to use the TN100. Might suit your taste better than the Legacy.

Cheers,

Edo van der Kolk

I heard the Gamble preamp is really nice, but doesn't have nearly enough distortion on it to do prog and metal.

Yea ur Distortion is really badazz Marcel. I'm still waitin for my Jmp1 in the mail , it went on backorder :confused:.

BTW- lotta people have been sayin that the mesa boogie triaxis is really badazz, you ever try one dude? how was it? My experience with mesa boogie distortion has not been very good.

Well, the tri axis is a great pre-amp but also expensive as hell ;)

When I tried it it was a bit too clean for me as well ;)

A note: I don't use a LOT of distortion, but the character of my distortion is rough, and I like that. It is not a matter of a lot of Gain, but more a matter of frequencies which I like better in the Marshall. Ofcourse I boost the Marshall with the EQ from my Rocktron Replifex though, and ofcourse I use my fingers :p

Hey Marcel, I've had my Jmp1 for almost a month now and I really dig it. I use a rack EQ, compression gate, hush, carvin effects engine, and a power conditioner with it and man it rocks. I also use a Marshall Jackhammer overdrive with it. Have you used overdrive with the Jmp1 b4? also, how do you set urs?

I set mine at really high gain, like 19 or 20, I have two high gain tones for symphony x and Dream Theater type stuff and man it really nails it. I can dial up Yngwie's exact tone basically, making my humbucker guitars sound a little more single coily. This preamp is so versatile.

BTW- excellent jam with ur new bo-el guitar bro.