March Hare - HOLY MOTHER FUDGIN AWESOME: must hear band if you haven't heard them yet

Harry Hughes

  ‬‬
Apr 25, 2009
I realize I might be rather late to this party, and couldn't find a topic on them in Off-Topic.

A little while ago, back in September there was the FG-X thread.
There were these clips in there called "SplattFGX" and "SplattGClip".
At first, thought the song was "Eh, alright".
And then it grew on me soon after and started to listen to it everyday.
I kept wondering for ages "What is this band? I must find out!", so set about investigating.
After a bit of research, it was revealed to be the band of Splat88 and also found out the song is called "Both Sides". For about the last month or so, I've been listening to this song 5-20 times a day

Have to say, each passing year I've gotten a bit less interested in metal and seeking out new releases in the genre, but having heard March Hare has restored my faith a little in knowing there was still some awesome bands out there writing genuinely creative, exciting and forward thinking music and just plain fucking good stuff.
I guess I've kinda overdosed on technical/traditional kinds of prog metal, and it's cool to hear something that has more breathing space in it and some cool atmospheric qualities to it.

And goddamn, that bass guitar tone on that Both Sides clip in the FG-X thread = :OMG:
Possibly my favorite bass guitar tone ever now. The mid range grit is just off the charts in how amazing it is.
Really looking forward to the album release:headbang:

^Yesssss, I've already listened to Wake Darker Skies about 5 times today. Will probably listen to it another 10 times at least today. Amazing song.

Yeah, Matt has been writing some great stuff for years, and doing some really cool mixes considering his limitations. You are indeed a bit late to the party, but the more people know about March Hare, the better! I actually offered to mix the entire record for him at a huge discount simply to get it out there, but due to some circumstances he didn't take me up on it.

I forget which song Both Sides is. Just recall doing a master for one of the tracks several months back, which ironically I also used for an FG-X vs Ozone 4 shoot-out.

Was this it? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Ermz-Splattmaster.mp3

Yeah, Matt has been writing some great stuff for years, and doing some really cool mixes considering his limitations. You are indeed a bit late to the party, but the more people know about March Hare, the better! I actually offered to mix the entire record for him at a huge discount simply to get it out there, but due to some circumstances he didn't take me up on it.

I forget which song Both Sides is. Just recall doing a master for one of the tracks several months back, which ironically I also used for an FG-X vs Ozone 4 shoot-out.

Was this it? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Ermz-Splattmaster.mp3

Yep that's it. I compared GClip to FG-X with the unmastered .wav he uploaded (same one you used). In case anyone's interested and cbf searching:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/SplattGClip.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/SplattFGX.mp3

Wow, thanks a lot Harry! I swear I'm gonna get this stupid album done within the next ten years. I'm not even going to say when it will be ready anymore because I think I've cried wolf a few too many times. I am working hard, however, despite the time constraints that I have due to 2 kids, a full time job, and then doing the accounting for my wife's law firm. I was actually exporting a track when I stumbled upon this thread! Thanks again for the support - it put a smile upon my face this evening!

Oh, on a side note, since I'll just be thrilled to get the damn album out, I think I'm just going to host it for free on a web site, and if people want to donate a buck or two, then that's cool. I was talking with one of the other mates about iTunes and all this other nonsense, and at this point, I just want the music out there as much as possible. For me, making music is simply the best hobby anyone could have. Plus, we have not exactly been the kings of marketing. We've basically done none whatsoever, except for posting on this board, so thanks for that.

+1 to everything Harry said. I was really looking forward for the release of the album in 2010...but it seems it's not going to happen. I'm willing to wait 10 years though it's worth it ;).
I just hope the reason it takes so long isn't that you keep revising over and over the mixes because the songs you've posted sound already great.

I just hope the reason it takes so long isn't that you keep revising over and over the mixes because the songs you've posted sound already great.

I can honestly answer this one with a big no! At this point, its largely done, just waiting on vocals on two more songs, one of which I'll be recording with my friend when I see him this when I travel to my hometown this Christmas. A big problem I've been having is getting all my old Cubase SX projects to work correctly with my current Cubase 5 setup. Gearbox won't even run in Cubase 5.5 and I run most of my vox effects through that plugin. I've had to revert back to an older version of Cubase just to open project files, and they are still crashing like a mother fucker. A MAJOR pain in my ass, and once I'm done with this project, I think I'm going to give Reaper a go. I can work with Reaper starting with a project from scratch, but its way too difficult to finish something 80% done with a new DAW.

I try not to listen to March Hare a lot when it's posted so I don't end up waiting for the album. :p

Great music!

A very big thanks to Harry Hughes, and all of you for patiently waiting for Matt and I to finish this long overdue album. We can't wait to crank it out so we can finally start working on some new material. And trust me there are some pretty cool ideas in the riff closet. It really tickles my nuts to know that people take the time to listen to our shit. I am also going to be making some tech advances for the new year as per my recording set up.

You won´t regret. By the way, is there any reason for you to still use Gearbox instead of POD Farm 2?

ps: Album!
ps2: Now! :lol:

When I record something new, I used PodFarm 2, but I have a million old project files with several Gearbox instances already loaded. I don't want to go through and save presets for each one so I can use them in PodFarm 2. Plus, there is a ton of automation going on that would all have to be redone in PodFarm. It sucks!

It scares me that those guitars and bass are POD/Line 6.
That combination of guitar/bass tones on the most recent Both Sides clips is just insane. I honestly really like it more than probably 95 per cent of mic'd tube amp/cab clips around here, and honestly dig it more than any Sneap production. It's just really unique sounding, yet incredibly punchy and powerful, all the while perfectly fitting the vibe of the music.
Definitely proves that it's first and foremost in the ears, skill, knowledge and feel before gear.
Spend a ton of time with amp modeling like you have and it's going to sound better than a relative newbie with a mic and tube amp/cab.

Yeah, Matt always got the best Line 6 tones. I recall the very first versions of Wake Darker Skies posted here years ago and it just blew my mind. I'd be playing it alongside records I loved and these digital freakin POD guitars were just sounding huge and smooth. His method was actually what got me into using Curve EQ really heavily, in particular to salvage less than ideal guitar sounds.

You have to respect that a lot of the largeness comes from the good song writing and arrangements too. Those people who compose with the idea of the 'soundworld' of their music in mind from day 1 are always going to come off better than those who throw it all together as they go.

A very big thanks to Harry Hughes, and all of you for patiently waiting for Matt and I to finish this long overdue album. We can't wait to crank it out so we can finally start working on some new material. And trust me there are some pretty cool ideas in the riff closet. It really tickles my nuts to know that people take the time to listen to our shit. I am also going to be making some tech advances for the new year as per my recording set up.

When I record something new, I used PodFarm 2, but I have a million old project files with several Gearbox instances already loaded. I don't want to go through and save presets for each one so I can use them in PodFarm 2. Plus, there is a ton of automation going on that would all have to be redone in PodFarm. It sucks!

Dudes. Your album is actually higher on my "want" list than the new DTP, and that's saying a lot. Everyone that's heard your shit on this forum jizz's themselves at how good your tunes are. I've had your MySpace page favorited for a year and a half!

[/MARCH HARE COCK TEASE]

Finish the record. We command it. :lol:

Many thanks for posting this thread. I've never heard of this band. just listening to the free stuff on their myspace site..

:headbang:

F**kin love it. sounds great.

( I did initially listen to "The March Hare". Different band. Couldn't get what all the fuss was about.. haha)

Dudes. Your album is actually higher on my "want" list than the new DTP, and that's saying a lot. Everyone that's heard your shit on this forum jizz's themselves at how good your tunes are. I've had your MySpace page favorited for a year and a half!

[/MARCH HARE COCK TEASE]

Finish the record. We command it. :lol:

Hahaha! Our half-ass Myspace page? We need to get the lead out on some marketing quality here.

Hahaha! Our half-ass Myspace page? We need to get the lead out on some marketing quality here.

Dude - don't feel bad. With the new layout changes, our site got fucked up as well. That said, I usually just hit up your Soundclick site.

What songs do you sing man? Are you the dude on Wake Darker Skies and Lost at Sea? Those are my two faves....................... aside from "Asstard", which is awesome for a few laughs after a few hits off the 'ol peace pipe.

Actually - I think my favorite song musically might be Sorrowfall, but that doesn't look like it's finished.