March Hare track with mixing tutorial video

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
Hey gents, I posted this song in the Rate my Track section, but I've uploaded a video of the mix if anybody cares to check it out. Details about equipment are in the youtube info if interested. Hope you enjoy!

http://youtu.be/zdo-WU2Le8U

That sounds fantastic. I wish I could make my own music sound even half as good. The bass sounds immense!

Being a noob, I didn't really understand the tutorial but I'd love if you could explain how you got that amazing bass sound.

Awesome work.

Thanks dude. The bass is very simple. There a stock preset in the PODX3 called Pawn Shop Punk. The only changed parameter is the low mid control which I maxed to 100%. That's it. The post processing you can see in the video. Each bass guitar will have dramatic affect on the tone, however. I used a Soundgear Bass with active EQ, but the EQ was zeroed.

How have more people not responded to this??? Sounding awesome, where are the vocals? :)

Sounds so good. I like that you do these mixes on a pretty modest setup, its always a kick in the ass that I have so much to work on and its not the equipment holding me back.

Damn that's some hefty gclip on the snare. Sounds great though, I have never clipped it that hard.

Splatt

Could you tell us what samples used for Kick and Snare ?

I see 2 Aptrigga instances on the Kick and 1 Drumagog on the snare.

I notice a very minimal Mastering treatment on the mix buss, but the finished song is massive... is this just a premix and the tutorial doesn't show the Mastering treatment ?

Splatt

Could you tell us what samples used for Kick and Snare ?

I see 2 Aptrigga instances on the Kick and 1 Drumagog on the snare.

I notice a very minimal Mastering treatment on the mix buss, but the finished song is massive... is this just a premix and the tutorial doesn't show the Mastering treatment ?

There's one trigger on the kick and two on the snare. They are the Paramore kick and snare samples I found floating around here quite a while ago, and one Slate snare sample. The kick is 100% sampled, while the snare is mainly the Superior snare mixed about 50/50 volume wise with Slate's Chili snare as the first trigger, the the Paramore snare ducked in at 16% for some body.

And what you see in the mix buss is all the mastering I did with the exception of volume limiting.

Edit: actually that's not true, I forgot I used Kramer tape on the mastering buss before the limiter.

Although I think the track is very repetitive and the harmony is basically stagnant it sounds so good I listened to it repeatedly for 40 minutes.

Although I think the track is very repetitive and the harmony is basically stagnant it sounds so good I listened to it repeatedly for 40 minutes.

Thanks, I think... This was written to have vocals as the forefront, not as an instrumental, for what its worth.

Everything in that sounds perfect! Can you please please pleeeeease post the kick sample? I had a search but couldnt find a working link. All dropbox 404 messages.
That kick and snare sound PERFECT to me. Good work!

Everything in that sounds perfect! Can you please please pleeeeease post the kick sample? I had a search but couldnt find a working link. All dropbox 404 messages.
That kick and snare sound PERFECT to me. Good work!

You can find the Paramore samples in Erkan's drum pack.

hahahaha

On a more serious note, i'm very happy to see some new March Hare stuff posted, can't wait to listen to this at home tonight !

EDIT : listened to it finally : i loved the White Poney-ish mixes you got for the previous songs you posted, but this sounds great as well, production and music !