Marduk - World Funeral

Gory Elephant

Apr 26, 2003
So, went out and bought Marduk’s latest CD last night, and here are my thoughts for those who are interested.

DISCLAIMER: These are just MY opinions!!! Even though I feel strongly about them, I am not attacking those who have different opinions!!!

I have listened to the whole CD twice now, and I think it is pretty good. Certainly better than their last CD (Le Grande Danse Macabre was the last one, no? Or did I lose track?). It actually exhibits more variety and creativity than one might expect from Marduk.

Now, ordinarily I don’t approve of any particular band working TOO much variety and creativity into their music, that is what “other” bands are for, if you know what I mean. When a band has a sound or style that I like, I prefer they stick with it, and don’t vary the delivery too much. Mortician is a great example of this. Most of their CD’s and songs sound exactly alike (hell, Chainsaw Dismemberment and Hacked up for Barbecue might as well be the same CD). No one in their right mind would ever use the words “variety” and “Mortician” in the same sentence, unless it was preceded by “lack of”. But, you know what? I think they totally fucking rule. Sure, I get tired of the sound once in a while, but when I do I just slip a different band into the CD player. If Mortician ever releases a CD that exhibits what one would call “variety” or “creativity”, I guarantee it will not get too many spins in my CD player.

But, I digress. Like I was saying, World Funeral has a little more variety than one might expect from a Marduk CD. Don’t get me wrong, it still sounds like Marduk, but they are definitely throwing more slowly paced songs into the mix, kind of like they used to do (back in the old days, long before Panzer Division Marduk). Sometimes they pull it off (i.e., Bleached Bones is an immensely heavy song), and sometimes they do not (Castrum Doloris, a horrendously awful song). The vocals sound great (but, I have always been a fan of Legion’s sound), and most of the riffs are cool (although, they do tend to linger a bit too much on the higher pitched end of the scale. I sometimes wish they would move their fingers a bit further down the fretboard once in a while!).

The bottom line is that I have long thought that Marduk was the best that “commercial black metal” (i.e., big name, big label, big production, etc… Immortal, Emperor, etc…) had to offer, and this release has not changed my mind.

Anyone else have any opinion on this?

I love World Funeral and was extremely pleased with the variety in it. While Marduk really came into their own on Panzer Division, a lot of their faster songs sound a lot alike, no matter which album they are taken from. It's nice to see them slow down a little and concentrate on the musical aspect of the song vs. pure black metal blast beats. The production is, as always, top notch and I think the album slays and can't wait until they get back over to North America to tour again. They're well worth it in concert! Definately a recommended album.

Psychonaut said:
I love World Funeral and was extremely pleased with the variety in it. While Marduk really came into their own on Panzer Division, a lot of their faster songs sound a lot alike, no matter which album they are taken from. It's nice to see them slow down a little and concentrate on the musical aspect of the song vs. pure black metal blast beats. The production is, as always, top notch and I think the album slays and can't wait until they get back over to North America to tour again. They're well worth it in concert! Definately a recommended album.

Panzer Division Marduk is a total waste of plastic and this one isn't much better. The lack of actual songwriting and structures shines clearly through and the individual performances of each player (except for B.War) is VERY boring and uninspiring.

MacMoney said:
Panzer Division Marduk is a total waste of plastic and this one isn't much better. The lack of actual songwriting and structures shines clearly through and the individual performances of each player (except for B.War) is VERY boring and uninspiring.

I disagree with you. What bands do you find to be not a total waste of plastic? That will give me some frame of reference in which to take your remarks.

World Funeral is fucking excellent. I love the guitar sound on it. That little bit of chorus adds so much depth to the riffs. I picked up it, Those Of The Unlight and Panzer Division Marduk last week and I must say that World Funeral is my favorite out of them.

Gory Elephant said:
I disagree with you. What bands do you find to be not a total waste of plastic? That will give me some frame of reference in which to take your remarks.

I like all genres of metal but usually limit myself to the actually good bands. So, from black metal my faves are (best albums in prentheses) Darkthrone (ABITS and Panzerfaust), Bathory (The Return), Beherit (Drawing Down The Moon), Varathron (His Majesty at the Swamp), Megiddo (Atavism of Evil), Countess (The Shining Swords of Hate), Mercyful Fate (Don't Break the Oath). Master's Hammer (Jilemnice Occultist), Sabbat(JAP) (The Dwelling - The Melody of Death Mask) among others.

I really though it was a great album, my favorite since Nightwing. Im curious as to why you think Castrum Doloris is a crappy song ? Its certainly a change, but Its catchy and I personally like the riffs quite a bit.

MacMoney said:
I like all genres of metal but usually limit myself to the actually good bands. So, from black metal my faves are (best albums in prentheses) Darkthrone (ABITS and Panzerfaust), Bathory (The Return), Beherit (Drawing Down The Moon), Varathron (His Majesty at the Swamp), Megiddo (Atavism of Evil), Countess (The Shining Swords of Hate), Mercyful Fate (Don't Break the Oath). Master's Hammer (Jilemnice Occultist), Sabbat(JAP) (The Dwelling - The Melody of Death Mask) among others.

This is getting curiouser and curiouser. You are a Beherit fan, but complain about the lack of "actual songwriting and structure" in Marduk???? LOL!!!!! Don't get me wrong, Beherit absolutely RULES, I am a huge fan (The Oath of Black Blood is easily one of the top five Black Metal albums of all time, along with, IMHO, Bathory "Under the Sign of the Black Mark", Black Witchery "Desecration of the Holy Kingdom", VON "Satanic Blood", and Archgoat "Angelcunt, Tales of Desecration"), but surely you must admit that Beherit is some of the most messy, chaotic, sloppy and "unstructured" music ever (which is, of course, most of the reason why they rule)?

So, I am curious as to what exactly you mean by "actual songwriting and structure"? How do you define these things, and which of your criteria do Panzer Division and World Funeral fall short of?

paddok said:
I really though it was a great album, my favorite since Nightwing. Im curious as to why you think Castrum Doloris is a crappy song ? Its certainly a change, but Its catchy and I personally like the riffs quite a bit.

Yah, Nightwing is a great album, eh? I don't know why I did not like that song so much. I think it must simply be the fact that I don't like slow music too much, so if it is gonna be slow, it better be REALLY good. And that song, well, failed the test miserably! I just kind of felt the exact opposite that you did! I did not find it very catchy, and did not care for the riffs at all.