Mark kozelek

Amy-Selic

Feb 9, 2008
You guys seem like the type of crowd who appreciates good downbeat music. Well the new Sun Kil Moon CD "Admiral Fell Promises" is out and about and I was just wondering what you all thought of it or if you even like that kind of music.
I think Katatonia takes some influence from Mark, as before the song names on Night is the New Day were revealed, Idle Blood was written down as "Mark Kozelek" on some teaser photo I saw, so perhaps this isn't too far out of left field for discussion.

I personally find the album quite beautiful and haunting.

^i remember when TGCD came out and blakkheim listed sun kil moons cd as a currently listening to, so i got it out of curiosity. it was decent, blue orchids the song was amazing though

i am quite interested in this, i do find his songs quite haunting as well (sometimes they end up being forgettable). thanks for the info! im gonna look around for this tonight

Kozelek is a GENIUS, Red House Painters are great on their early records (especially "Down Colorful Hill" and the first s/t one), never heard anything he did outside of RHP though.

(just too good, seriously)

Low is another good band for that kind of downbeat stuff...Slowcore isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kozelek is a GENIUS, Red House Painters are great on their early records (especially "Down Colorful Hill" and the first s/t one), never heard anything he did outside of RHP though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFQ4nuUuwNo
(just too good, seriously)

Low is another good band for that kind of downbeat stuff...Slowcore isn't it?

Yeah, those first two RHP albums are completely essential. I'm not really into anything he/they did after that.

"Medicine Bottle" and "Katy Song" are two of the best/most haunting songs ever.

You're welcome isolation! :)

And yes RHP is classic, I assumed most of you had already explored that band.

Oh and I think "drop" is such a wonderful RHP song, maybe my favorite. Hits me a little too hard to listen to very often though :(