Marshall 1936 2x12 cab opinions?

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011
Hey! I've been searching for a good 2x12 cab for smaller gigs. The Orange 4x12 feels like overkill at times. :) I'd also like to have something a bit different.

The Marshall 1936 with the 70W Vintage 30 speakers has really caught my eye. It's bigger than regular 2x12 cabs and if it's anything like the 1960BV I'm getting it. I just don't have a chance to try it out so I though I'd hear what you guys have to say about it.

Oh and I hate Mesa cabs so don't even try going that route. :lol:

I had one of those once, but it had T75's in it, one of which I swapped for a V30. I actually miss that thing quite a bit.

^Same here. Still got mine though :)
Great cab for gigging, size is perfect imo. Small enough to fit in a car easily but big enough that it's not just blasting at your ankles.

^Same here. Still got mine though :)
Great cab for gigging, size is perfect imo. Small enough to fit in a car easily but big enough that it's not just blasting at your ankles.

Cool! That's exactly what I thought it would be like. Have you mic'ed the cab? I'd love to hear some sound samples!

Had one and sold it, which I probably shouldn't have done! Might pick up another at some point. I'm currently using a vertical ENGL 2x12 with V30's, which is also great. I took the metal grille off though as it was vibrating quite a bit!

Cool! I can buy one used in MINT condition so I'm pretty sure I'm going for it. :)

BTW are the Marshall vintage 30s different than regular vintage 30s since they have more watts? Regular V30s are rated at 60W but Marshall V30s are rated at 70W.