Marshall JCM 800 models / need some help

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hello,

Just done a recording and we used a marshall head for the leads, and i loved it!!!
So im thinking of buying one and just they other day a Marshall 800 1987 2channe 50w pops up on the used market.

My questions are: Is all 800 models kind'a the same. Like the 5150 series etc. Or are there big difference in between them?

I've read that you guys prefered the 800 2203 but that is even older then the 87 issue right?

Thnaks for the help

jut don't expect it to sound like the one you recorded...the differences between the 800s are about as big as between the Recto and the MKIII or something.
I don't think the 1987 is a 2ch model though, isn't that the 4 input one with no master volume?
AFAIK it's based on a SLP and many people had theirs modded to 2203 specs I think, cause not having a master volume can be a PITA with a JCM800.
especially if you have neighbours within 5 miles, that thing has to be LOUD to sound good....

I've an original JCM800 2204 ( single channel, 50 watt) from 82 ( white tolex!) and compared it to a few reissue 2203's( single channel, 100 watt) and they sounded quite different. The 2204 was a little fizzier and not as full in the room but records really great. Cut through better and was a little clearer in a mix than the bigger watter reissues I used. Gets pulled out and used on almost every project. They all sounded really good though and I'd be happy to own any of the ones I've played. Difference between them could have been tubes for all I know!

If that amps is going for a good price I'd give it a go, if you don't love it you can flip it and try for another one when it comes up. You'll never have a problem selling one of these on for a half decentt price.