Marshall JCM2000 DSL for recording?

Fragle said:
if you ever get the chance to crank the amp way up (i was able to do so for at least 3 shows), crank the bass and mids, treble almost off, like around 1, presence off, gain 7

I had a 1976 JMP 2204 for a while; I'd use that with either an SD-1 or Pod XT (blasphemy!) in front for a boost, and that's pretty similar to how I had it set. Bass, mids, and gain on 10 (mind you, this is an old amp, so even with the gain on 10 it's not that gainy), treble and presence on 0. I never got to crank it too much, though. Even at 50 watts, it's at least as loud as my Mark IV and any Dual Recto or 5150 I've ever played. Seriously, those old Marshalls are loud.

About the treble- I've always loved Marshalls, and I've always hated whatever frequency their treble pot controls. Grainy, scratchy shite. I would dial in just enough to not kill my attack, and that's it.

I think they're severely underrated for metal, save for the JCM 800s that everyone seems to love. Plenty of chunk and punch if you know how to dial 'em in.

well, i own a jcm800 2210, and usually i set it up like this

presence off, master around noon, reverb off, bass 7, mids 4, treble 3-4, lead channel volume 8-9, gain 8-9, clean channel all off (don't use it)
kickass smooth and punchy metal rhythm tone, going straight in. of course, that's pretty loud :D
one interesting thing is that i don't like the jcm800 with any new preamp tube in v1....there's a really old no name 12ax7 in v1, and it's a perfect match with the 2210. any other tube such as EH (which sound great in my 5150), JJ, sovtek, SED svetlana etc and the 2210 just sounds way too honky

Fragle said:
there's a really old no name 12ax7 in v1, and it's a perfect match with the 2210. any other tube such as EH (which sound great in my 5150), JJ, sovtek, SED svetlana etc and the 2210 just sounds way too honky

Might be something really cool. There's no identifying markings on it at all?

About how much gain would you say the 2210 has, compared to a more recent amp? (JCM 2000/Recto/5150/whatever. Standard stuff.) I haven't, for whatever reason, run across too many channel switcher 800s in stores, just single channels. I always ran my TSL's gain between 5-7, so I don't need a ton. I've had no problem using a Bogner Shiva for heavy stuff, either, and that has less gain than a current Marshall (though not by much) ...sooo thick sounding. Alas, it belonged to a studio, and I couldn't exactly take it home.

And yeah, that's pretty damn loud!

I own a DSL100 and what you hear live is totally diffrent then what you are going to record. On my latest project I had it setup like this.

Treble 6
Mid 10
Bass 6
Gain 6
Pres 4
Deep and Scoop switched off

This was on the lead channel.....

Live I drop the mids to aout 6 and raise the bass to about 8

Exocaster said:
Might be something really cool. There's no identifying markings on it at all?

About how much gain would you say the 2210 has, compared to a more recent amp? (JCM 2000/Recto/5150/whatever. Standard stuff.) I haven't, for whatever reason, run across too many channel switcher 800s in stores, just single channels. I always ran my TSL's gain between 5-7, so I don't need a ton. I've had no problem using a Bogner Shiva for heavy stuff, either, and that has less gain than a current Marshall (though not by much) ...sooo thick sounding. Alas, it belonged to a studio, and I couldn't exactly take it home.

And yeah, that's pretty damn loud!

no, no markings at all. the power tubes are AEG, though....never heared of them regarding vacuum tubes....i know a company called AEG, but that one's manufacturing washing machines :D :D :D
the very same tube doesn't sound that good in my 5150, kinda fuzzy, but with the marshall it takes away a lot of that nasty honk and makes it sound soooo smooth, totally incredible.
we recorded a few shows which featured my charvel->jcm800 setup, maybe i can post a few clips once the audio/video editing is done. one's gonna be on the party.san 2005 open air DVD, i'm curious how things sounded at that show...i dunno, i was pissed ;)

as for the split channel gain....mmh...i'm using dimarzio tonezone and emg81 pickups, just so that you know. with the 2210 you gotta keep in mind that the channel volume adds a LOT of gain when cranked...it's pretty quiet around noon or so, but at 2:30 it starts adding gain and lotsa volume. below that it's not very gainy...similar to the 5150 lead channel set to 8:30 or something. but once the channel volume is brought up, the fookin fury gets unleashed, and with both the volume and gain dimed i'd say it has about as much gain as the 5150's lead channel around noon, maybe even slightly more. pretty saturated. as i said, i tend to crank the gain almost all the way up, and fine tune the saturation with the boost volume, usually ending up somewhere in the 3:30 range, which is comparable to the 5150 set to 11:00. plenty for metal rhythm.

i REALLY want to try a single channel version, though.

if it helps, comparing the jcm800 (with a regular tube, not that piece of magic one ;) ) to the dsl100, i'd say the marshall has more mids, slightly lower mids than the dsl, more balls, and less highs, meaning that you can actually run the presence quite high without ending up in fuzz city like a dsl would do. less gain than a dimed out dsl, though, but who dimes out a dsl anyways?!
with my very special tube, i'd say it's more like the evil offspring of a 5150 and the dsl.

just rebiased my DSL to around 38mv and it's sounded a LOT better to my ears.

thanks for the tips guys

no probs, i might not like it but i know more about makin' them sound good than these losers!

:loco:

j/k