Marshall JCM800 owners please help.

That Jose mod is monsterous and someone should do some serious research and get that shit on the market.

It's been done a million times.

arredondo1.jpg

i sooooo want a modded jcm 800....it's the perfect thrash tone. period!
the 2210 sounds better for leads, but there's something about the 2203 that just screams METAL rhythm.
i guess with the added fx loop on the 2203 re issue you could even get a pretty versatile rig out of it. just get a boss gt8 or similar and run the 4 cable method.

as for more gain, the 2203KK has shittons of gain on tap. i just wonder why the fuck the beast option isn't footswitchable. makes zero sense to me.

And who the hell is Jose anyways?

He was an amp modder that is no longer with us. He was made famous by EVH telling people that his amps were modded by him(big debate as to if they really were or not, google it sometime the drama is all over the place).

Yeah if you get rid of all the input switching and pedal loops, it basically ends up being 2 paralleled jcm 800 channels. He did this by adding a tube. Throw in the Jose Master with the 2 diodes, and thats all there is too it.

I meant switching sounds during a song etc.

I have a VHT Deliverance single channel head and briefly considered buying a secondhand Kasha Quikmod to add an extra footswitchable preamp tube.

QuickMod--large.jpg

You take out one of the amp's existing preamp tubes and plug in a cable that connects to the QM, but it turns out that's mainly to provide power to the QM. In terms of audio path, the QM is between the guitar and the amp's input jack, so it's really more like a tube-equipped boost/overdrive pedal. Unless the in-from-guitar & out-to-amp jacks are just to allow the device to be grounded...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seems like it would just be easier to put a TS in front of the amp instead of pulling tubes out of the back of it all the time.

Yes after all I believe I will go for a pedal this time , I worked at the Devildriver show last night and the guys had close to the sound that I'm after, I spoke to them and they said they use the Zakk Wylde MXR pedal.