The great JCM800 switch of 2009

Dec 29, 2008
I'd like to get some opinions on my current options.

Right now I have a 1986 Marshall JCM800 2204 (50 watt) Canadian edition (metal toggles instead of plastic rocker switches). 1986 = Last year with the Drake transformers, first year with higher gain. Awesome sound, downside not enough juice for live shows, lack of multiple channels.

I have a friend at work who will trade me for his JCM800 2210 (two channel 100 watt) so not much of a different sound, but multiple channels.

Option three: I had a brief chat with Devin Townsend the other day and he's willing to trade as well. He's got quite a few amps. But I don't know what he'd be willing to trade.

Initial opinions based on the information so far before I call up either party?

Well if your stuck on a Marshall sound, for the multiple channel reasons you mentioned i would definitely go with the 2210, but if your looking for a different sound I would see what Devin would be willing to trade :D

I'd trade with Devin Townsend because everything he has owned will be thousands of times cooler than a normal amp.

fuck, 50 watts is fine - just slang a mic in front of that shit, brah!

there's really no point of going from 50w to 100w unless you want to get a little more clean shit (gay!).

I always liked the higher headroom of 100watters, and as Sloan has said it will give you a later breakup on the power tubes for better cleans. But you are running el-34's anyway so who gives a shit about clean. I'd wait and see what Devin The Omniscient has.

I wouldn't bother trading for another jcm 800.
Tonally they'd be similar and the clean channels are dire so channel switching isn't that much of a biggy.
What I used to do with mine was back off the volume a bit when going to clean and play a bit softer, works O.K not amazing but gets by live. If your hands are too busy to do it a volume pedal is the job.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input, first of all. It's good to get some opinions on the subject.

It's been a while since I played a 2210, so thanks for reminding me about the sub-par clean channel. I prefer volume-rolling as well.

As for Devin, he just called and told me he scored a Budda amp that'll "do the JCM800 thing" for him, in his words. So for now, the trade's off. Though he was good enough to pass on word about the amp. One interested party he told me about has a Double Rectifier 3 channel, though, like Metaltastic, I prefer the two channel version.

If anyone on here has any interest in the interim, let me know, though I'm not desperate to get rid of it.