Marshall JMP1....

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
I'm interested in a midi programable preamp/amp or live use...
I was thinking some modeller or something (keep it simple), but since I need only three sounds I thought the JMP1 might be interesting as well....
how well does it modern metal?
The idea was to get a small poweramp just to feed the 4x12 on stage as a monitor box (ideally something like the el84 20/20, perhaps only the velocity 100 though (am on a budget).
I want a small, light but good sounding metal rig for gigs......

... didn't you just buy a Pod XT Pro?? :heh::heh::heh:
Seriously, my other gtrist used to own one, I heard friends say they loved it, but I never really heard a tone I really liked from it... it always seemed fake and sterile to me. Just my 2 €cents...

I had a JMP-1 for a while, and while I dug it most of the time, there was a weird midrange thing going on that I couldn't get rid of without throwing an EQ after it. It was really apparent on the cleaner tones. I always had a feeling that it would be pretty awesome if it were paired with another amp/preamp.

I had a band in recently with a JMP1 EL34 rig and we ended up using my DSL100.
The band wanted a Marshall sound (Motley crue, bon jovi style rock) and the DSL smoked the jmp1.
Much more "alive" with harmonic overtones. JMP1 sounded flat and dull in comparison.

Owned the JMP-1 for quite some time, an ADA MP1 3TM and still own a Digitech 2101 (besides a Line6 POD).
The JMP-1 is ok, but especially for modern metal and stuff like you play with Killfloor Mechanic I wouldn't use
it-the ADA MP1 and most of the MP1 mods sound better for that style imho, the Digitech doesn't sound bad
either, but only on the "Grunge" setting that's transistor. Due to the 6 band geq and the other eqs you can
add (5 band peq for example) you can change the sound alot.

If you could get a JMP-1 for cheap, I would try it, but imho it's not that great and doesn't work very well with
a TS in front, it just sounds strange, no clue why, visited Simon Dorn 2 days ago and we played my Digitech
preamp through his ENGL poweramp, didn't sound that different (after like 2 minutes of tweaking) than his E530,
both played through the same poweramp and cab.
I think the ADA (all besides the MP2), Digitech (2101, 2112, 2120 or the new 1101) or even the Tech21 PSA
would suit this style better, I would probably take the 1101.

if you go for a jmp1, you really need to use it with a good valve power amp, and preferably a rack eq as well. There's better things out there but only if you pay a lot more. When I had a jmp1, I found it did one tone really well, but not much else. I upgraded to a triaxis but they're about five times the price!

I still think it's a great preamp but not for everyone.
Try one if you have the chance (and I still can reamp through mine if you're interested).

I still think it's a great preamp but not for everyone.
Try one if you have the chance (and I still can reamp through mine if you're interested).

I'd agree with this 100%. It's a steal for what it is but you need to try it yourself because it does some sounds very well and others not so it depends on personal preference

I had a JMP-1 for a while, and while I dug it most of the time, there was a weird midrange thing going on that I couldn't get rid of without throwing an EQ after it. It was really apparent on the cleaner tones. I always had a feeling that it would be pretty awesome if it were paired with another amp/preamp.

´+ 1 on that strange midrange. Would probably do for live situations though