Marshall Mode 4 cab vs Mesa Rectifier cab

lolzgreg has both. IIRC Opeth's Watershed album was with a Mode Four cab, the K100 one, for at least part of the guitar tone.

Mike is dead on; both cabs sound REALLY good, just different. The Mesa cab is fizzier and a bit more bitey. The Mode 4 cab is throatier and punchier.

I wouldn't get a MF280; I like Mesa V30s more than Marshall V30s.

I'll try to do some comparison clips for you in the near future :)

I would argue that the Mesa is considered the metal standard for a reason, though I've heard some really nice stuff from them K100's too...

Yeah, and that's one of the main reasons I want a Mesa Recto cab at all. I had one a while back and hated it, but it IS the standard so I'm going to chalk it up to user error. :)

lolzgreg has both. IIRC Opeth's Watershed album was with a Mode Four cab, the K100 one, for at least part of the guitar tone.

Yeah, it was also used on Ghost Reveries... Some of my favorite tones, so I'd like to have the speaker to mess around with.

Mike is dead on; both cabs sound REALLY good, just different. The Mesa cab is fizzier and a bit more bitey. The Mode 4 cab is throatier and punchier.

I wouldn't get a MF280; I like Mesa V30s more than Marshall V30s.

I'll try to do some comparison clips for you in the near future :)

does anyone know where to get Marshall Mode 4 cab impulses?
or at least some of the K100?
i have got the 4x12mf cab but can´t use it for recording at home.

thanks and cheers!

ps. i´m really satisfied with the mf cab.

does anyone know where to get Marshall Mode 4 cab impulses?
or at least some of the K100?
i have got the 4x12mf cab but can´t use it for recording at home.

thanks and cheers!

ps. i´m really satisfied with the mf cab.

Marshall Mode Four cab impulse

Last edited by a moderator:
old post but I'm going to post anyway, Very Nice tone clip.
I'm saving up for 2 V30's and do the X pattern in my MF cab one day.
For now I'm going to run my new little Peavey 6505 plus 112 through it and see how it sounds.

old post but I'm going to post anyway, Very Nice tone clip.
I'm saving up for 2 V30's and do the X pattern in my MF cab one day.
For now I'm going to run my new little Peavey 6505 plus 112 through it and see how it sounds.
Good luck with that. I planned the same thing but it seems like the back of my mf400 won't come off. The screws are so tight that no amount of force or wd40 could free them.

Good luck with that. I planned the same thing but it seems like the back of my mf400 won't come off. The screws are so tight that no amount of force or wd40 could free them.
Well that sucks, drill them out ? I've been meaning to get an easy out set, happens to me all the time on the farm and I always seem to forget at Home Depot.