Maryland Deathfest VI: May 23rd - 25th, 2008 @ Sonar in Baltimore, MD

I went to the Maryland Death Fest once...back in 2005. It was very well organized and a fuck ton of fun. The lineup that year was one of the best I've seen, and this year is comparable...I would LOOOOVE to go, but can't, due to money and time issues.

Yeah, I'm with you Matt, the only band that halfway appealed to me was Nuclear Assault. I actually owned one of their albums back in the 80s and even saw them live back then. Its a shame since the MD Death Fest is so close to me (40 minutes). Also, Memorial Day weekend is a horrible time for me to try to go to a show. I'm even missing DT and the Progressive Nation show since it is on Memorial Day. We'll be coming back from our annual camping trip, so there is no way I'm making it.

True. Regardless, either I don't like Death Metal nearly as much as I thought I did or that's a really weak line up.

Zod

I don't know anything about your tastes in death metal, but that's not a weak lineup. And like someone said, the bands are not all death metal.

I don't know anything about your tastes in death metal, but that's not a weak lineup. And like someone said, the bands are not all death metal.
When it comes to the more extreme sub-genres of Metal, I prefer Black to Death. Regardless, of only heard of about 8 bands at this festival. And none are bands I actually own anything by.

Zod

Martyr are pretty solid tech death, but they have some really bad death vocals. But I don't even listen to half the shit on that and i'm pretty sure it's like Slam Death and that isn't for me, but I've heard good things about Behold the Arctopus

There's a few bands I'd go to this to see (Martyr and Grave mainly, since the Grave tour that was supposed to be happening around this time got canceled), but I wouldn't be able to make it. Sure it'll be great, anyways.

How many bands at ProgPower IX do you think the average attendee of Maryland Deathfest knows? I'm guessing 3.

alot of the guys that post in the GMD section are pretty big on slam death and are all going, so I just figured. If there's any good OSDM/tech/progdeath on that list feel free to tell me so I can find some new bands, id rather not myspace 95 bands

in this case 'brutal' means?

What's after brutal death?

Super Brutal Death Metal that has been brutalized to death.

OK... I'll bite. What is "Slam Death"?

Zod

pretty sure it's just another term for brutal death, but i'm not death metal expert :X

They're different.
"Slam" death has lots of breakdowns. The more well-known of the bands that play this style are Dehumanized and Internal Bleeding. Dying Fetus has lots of break downs, but I wouldn't really call them a slam band.