Master Bus chain

-Loco-

Knives.
Apr 17, 2009
How do you guys set up your masterbus?

I tend to just use a limiter and e.q just to mould the mix a bit.

I've been having trouble recently with my mixing volumes because pod spdif out sucks dick and i dont have an interface yet..

What does elephant do? And is it better to compress and use gclip rather than just using a limiter on the master bus?

I like VComp->GClip->EQ->Elephant->Stereo Expander.

Not crazy about VComp in the master chain, but I haven't found something more musical for the mater bus, yet. Elephant is a limiter, like L2. It rocks, and most people prefer it to L2.

yeah it is but its annoying because you cant adjust it any lower than 0 dB's

What stereo expander do you use?

my latest project was waves API comp-->gclip-->wavearts finalplug

nothing in the chain was ever knocking off more than 2db at a time, and i didn't fuck around with EQ on the master at all

I hate clippers in the master buss. If I need to use them in the master buss I know I screwed up somewhere.

PSP MixSaturator>Vcomp>Ozone

That's it for me.

Edit:
yeah it is but its annoying because you cant adjust it any lower than 0 dB's

Lower the volume of the preset:\

I use logics linear phase eq (only if freqs. are building up too much energy pumping the comp, eating up headroom in an area and cant be fixed easily in the mix) liquid mix compression, event horizon (set to clip) then either logics adaptive limiter, w1 or event horizon set to limit.

this is my average 2 bus chain, it can vary from project to project. usually I will do the clipping, limiting in waveburner

Lower the volume of the preset:

no... because a) that will lower my already low input volume and b) its annoying for playing back music because i cant physically adjust the volume so my monitoring always seems louder than playback

Ok:

Waves Linear Multiband
Waves SSL comp
Waves API 2500
and lately Logic 8 adaptive limiter

I´m mixing with a lot of headroom so I push the mix with the Api 2500 very hard....

The V-comp is great, but not for mastering IMO.
It is my go to comp for vocals