Mixing limiter?

Mar 10, 2012
www.facebook.com
Does anyone put a limiter on their mixing sessions? I was told by a friend that it helps quite a bit. I tried it out on a mix for myself, and I can't tell if I like it or not. Everything comes out quite a bit more, like every piece of the drum kit comes through and gets buried less when I take the file from the mix to the master.
Any ideas?
Edit: I suppose I mean do you use a limiter on your master bus and then bounce it down and take it to a master session, to avoid any confusion. I don't mean using limiters on individual tracks within the project.

Kinda related to this subject, I suggest reading through a thread that was popular a while back. Titled something like "-18 db mixing"

I believe it was that thread that got me started on using a limiter on my master. I have seen nothing but positive results.

Nope - but that's because I don't master my own material.
On the rare occasion I master my own stuff (usually a demo), it's all done in one session - but I master the bounced version not the multitrack.

Limiters can serve their purpose well when mixing, if you've got super dynamic drum kits or vocals but I rarely find that the case. If my master meters are clipping I just turn the busses down to preserve the headroom.

Yeah that's what I've been doing for the last few project I've had. Everything has sounded a lot better, and I avoid the problem of making everything sound squished while trying to get more volume out of something. Thanks a lot! I'll see if I can find that thread. Searched that term exactly, but didn't come up with anything. I'll keep looking!

I mix through a rough mastering chain (compression, clipping and a little limiting) so I know my stuff will survive getting squashed in mastering.

I usually have limiters on specific things like bass, occasionally a parallel snare, and for that I us AOM's Invisible Limiter. Lightweight, and fully capable.

+1 to mixing with a couple db's of compression and light limiting on the master

it's like having a look-ahead button for the entire mix...

How much I read around internet - limiter help to find best gain staging mix and after final mix bounce down track without any comp/ clip or limiter on master bus. And then master bounced track.

I did some mixes in the past without mixing with a limiter on, and ended up with some level suprises once it was mastered. So i say yes, mix with a limiter take it off when you bounce your final mix.

I would never used any effect on the master channel before mastering. There's no need to.

hey crille, maybe you could answer the question from my previous post too :)

I don't shoot for any particular RMS on Ozone. Just limit until it hits zero and the master fader still moves a bit. You don't have to hit it superhard but just as hard so you get the benefits of what limiting brings, just some more glue that it is.