master bus compression - need help

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey there,

for some reason i just can't get a compressor to work properly on the master bus. i know how to compress individual tracks and i know what i'm doing, but when it comes to compressing the whole mix, be it for fake-mastering purposes or adding some "glue" to the whole mix, i'm lost.

basically i'm getting a whole lot of pumping and breathing. i tried setting the release time way long, like 0,5 - 1sec, which made the result somewhat better, but the effects are still far from desireable imho.

so, could anyone please give me some guidelines how to set up a compressor so it works properly on the 2bus?
i'm mainly doing fast death metal, so the music is kind of busy :) so no acdc style groove here where the pumping would actually be desireable.

as for the plugins, i'm limited to freeware (the downside of being not-so-wealthy and trying to be 100% legit :lol: )...i'm mainly using the classic compressor, but i also have blockfish and gcomp, as well as the cubase "dynamics" stuff. maybe that's a part of the problem right there?

check www.myspace.com/retaliationdeath , mainly the first two songs. these don't have 2bus compression on them as i'm too dumb for it (hence this thread :lol: ), but both of these songs will also be on the upcoming album, and i'd like to know how to handle it until then...

check www.myspace.com/retaliationdeath , mainly the first two songs. these don't have 2bus compression on them as i'm too dumb for it (hence this thread :lol: ), but both of these songs will also be on the upcoming album, and i'd like to know how to handle it until then...

posting myspace clips isn't helping in any ways because A) it rapes the songs with its own compression and filters B) reduces the bitrate to 96kbps 22khz mp3s C) you can't download the songs to test the compression.

I prefer 24bit 44/48khz wav or aiff

edit: I edited the link

Some plugins just don't do it very well, your best off with one with a sidechain on the low end to roll off so the kick doesn't make the compressor pump.

Been a bit spoilt recently, been using a thermionic culture phoenix. Sweeeeeeeet

Well look, the 'classic' analogue 2-bus compressors most of us love weren't insanely tweakable. Let's say we're rolling with an SSL-style one:

A great starting point is 10 or 30ms attack (I always go with 10 if I can get away with it... sounds tighter, at the expense of transient punch). The lowest ratio you can pull (usually 2:1), auto release and maybe aim for 2dB of GR MAXIMUM. I normally have it so that the needle is barely moving, usually 1 to 2dB, just for some glue. I find that to be a good starting point.

Well look, the 'classic' analogue 2-bus compressors most of us love weren't insanely tweakable. Let's say we're rolling with an SSL-style one:

A great starting point is 10 or 30ms attack (I always go with 10 if I can get away with it... sounds tighter, at the expense of transient punch). The lowest ratio you can pull (usually 2:1), auto release and maybe aim for 2dB of GR MAXIMUM. I normally have it so that the needle is barely moving, usually 1 to 2dB, just for some glue. I find that to be a good starting point.

exactly the same starting point i use, maybe even 1.5:1 compression if the comp has it and NEVER anymore that 3dB GR

i go for 1.5 to 2 db max. usually as fast of an attack as i can get away with. then i play with the release till it sounds right. usually a 4:1 ratio. i found it hard to believe how much gain reduction peter staub uses on his 2 bus!

I go for no more than 2db of reduction with an attack time of 10 and play around with the release times a bit, depending on the mix.
After that I apply a limiter with another 1-2db of reduction.

I used GClip before the compressor to tame the snare a bit so it doesnt pump the mix, then with the snare poking a bit thru the mix (visually), I compress with 30ms attack, 4:1 and about 20ms release to make the drums pop out a bit more, followed by more GClip, Saturator then Elephant.

That endorphin by Digital Phish Phones is pretty freaking sweet for a master buss comp.But seriously fix the mix FIRST before you even touch a master buss compressor! Try importing a song into your mix, one that fits similar styles and a professional mastered mix, then bring the volume waay down, and send the output of that song to output of your interface. Then do comparisons till your blue in the face on the professional song, and then your mix. Then try to tailor your mix to have characteristics of the professional mix. Don't worry too much about getting it to sound exactly like theirs, because it will never happen. But pay particular attention to the midrange of the mastered mix and try to get your mids to be similar. That is always a good starting point. Leave the master buss comp for last to sweeten things up and raise the volume a bit. But don't be afraid to have a the comp on standby and turn it on every now and then, just to get a feel of how your mix will react to a master comp.

i've been veering closer to the 4-5db GR area as time goes on.

if you mix into the compressor you can get away with it i think. also depends on the compressor - the one i am referring too is the waves ssl.

the waves api is real nice as well but i haven't really been able to get it sounding good on hard rock/metal. it's kind of aggressive and more transparent sound wise but not transparent compression wise, if that makes any sense.

the ssl is much smoother and glues and has more of a color to it it's kind of a pillow whereas the api is like a pile of bricks.

for metal Im using 10-30ms attack fast release (rarely auto) 2:1,3:1 or 4:1 ratio (rarely 10:1 or 1.5:1).
average of 2dB compression...max peaking reduction at 4dB.
More often Dual Mono than stereo
really depends on the material and mix.

for pop and Rock etc I'll often go for a faster attack (0.3 or 3) and a slower release (300 or auto)

I might be buying into Gearslutz hype, but i've heard putting the ration to 10:1 sounds better(subjective of course) even if you're only reducing by 1-2db and using the same settings.