Mastering/Mixing Books?

Aug 16, 2011
www.youtube.com
Hey guys, I am kind of like in the intermediate level of home recording, and I am now looking forward to read a good book on mixing and mastering. If it is more related to heavy stuff (metal) it would be better. Do you have any good suggestions???

Zen And The Art Of Mixing by Mixerman is supposed to be a great read for anyone of any skill/experiance level. I have yet to read it myself cuz I'm actually reading another one of his books right now. But keep in mind their aren't many mixing/mastering books that focus on specific genres. And if you're lucky enough to find one it will most likely be outdated.

For mastering, everyone will tell you to get the Bob Katz book. For mixing, I'd highly recommend the two I'm reading right now, by "Mixing Audio" by Roey Izhaki and "Mixing Secrets" by Mike Senior, especially the former.

don't buy the "Mastering Audio, Second Edition: The art and the science by Robert A. Katz" from amazon uk, it costs way too much!!!!
on amazon.com is a looooooooooooot cheaper, same goes for the italian amazon, cheaper there as well if you live in europe, the book is in english anyway!

Mixing With Your Mind by Michael Stavrou is the most interesting and inspirational book for me.
But not too cheap)))

Right now I'm re-reading (it takes a couple reads for me to get stuff) David Gibson's The Art of Mixing, it's great cause it helps you visualize the whole mixing process and mixes in general in your mind. After that, I'm getting kindle versions of Zen and the art, bob Katz mastering audio, the mixing engineer's handbook by Bobby Ozinsky (or something like that) and another one that's on my amazon list but I don't remember

I ordered 'Zen and the art of mixing' and Katz one on mastering too a few days ago :) Still waiting for them...

Bob Katz's is a must read for mastering imo. You might want to note though that he's working on an updated version, when that goes to press though is anyone's guess. Also some of what he presents as common practice in mastering is more his personal work flow and routines. Nonetheless it's a great book.

Mixing - as others have already said Mike Senior, Roey Izhaki and Mike Stavrou are all great - the first two are great advanced-beginner to intermediate works, whilst Stavrou will make you think a 2nd time about how you approach mixing.

Mixing With Your Mind by Michael Stavrou is the most interesting and inspirational book for me.
But not too cheap)))

Only critisim on this book is that it is a bit left-field, like, it would suit somebody who all ready has a fairly good understanding of production. (Intermediate) & if you like that check out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_Strategies

The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement book & Live Sound Reinforcement book are two that I go back to. Very informative! Very good bang for buck! (Or should be book? : ) )

+1 on The Mixing Engineer's handbook by Bobby Ozinsky prob my other favourate! Defo learn a lot from any level hobbist to Pro!

Penis