Mastering Test.

Carnivorouschrysalis

Chuck Finley
May 19, 2012
Okay Guys, I tried my hand at mastering one of my songs, and i would like your opinions on how I did, at least for my first try. I'll also include a download to the un-mastered file so if you guys can do better, show me what better sounds like, and give me something to strive for, that would be greatly appreciated. And i would also like feedback on how I did. I tried to master as objectively as I could, at least as far as bringing the mix to life. I don't have a treated room, so i can't really go as far as eliminating problems, but i at least tried to give the mix energy and life. I didn't do much, as far as plugins are concerned, i just used some slight compression, and waves L3 multi- but it seemed to make a big difference in how everything worked together, but i would like to hear what you guys think of it.

Un-Mastered

Mastered

The mix could use some work. The build-up in the intro is a bit underwhelming, as it's actually louder than when the song kicks in. I tried a quick master on it but the guitars are too loud IMO. When I'm mixing I'll pull the guitars quite far down, with the drums being louder. Because guitars swamp a shitload of frequencies, they just eat every other instrument. Guitars are usually pulled back up in the mix during mastering.

My mastering chain consists of:

Waves C4 > FerricTDS > Ozone 4 (EQ, mastering verb, and sometimes the exciter, if needed) > Waves L2