Masters of Horror Soundtrack

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
Various Artists-Masters of Horror
Immortal Records
2.5 out of 5
By: Sixxswine

I have to say this, I’m not a big fan of soundtracks. Though, anytime there is a horror soundtrack, you’ve got to give it a spin to see how it will match up to the film or in this case films. Masters of Horror is a mix of contemporary rock, metal and nu-metal. Some is outstanding some not so much. The artwork and packaging to this cd set is first class, the digipak opens up to look like a cross with images of death and carnage. Inside the two cd’s are housed, each disc containing 15 tracks a piece, the booklet is inserted a pocket nicely.
Now on to the music, the highlights from disc one, Andrew W.K. “You Will Remember Tonight,” this is a killer tune that reminds me of Meatloaf at his best, Shadows Fall “This is My Own,” Mastodon’s Live rendition of “Meglodon.” Three tracks that’s all, let’s see if disc two faired better, shall we? Among the highlights on disc two are; Buckethead with that whack job Singer(?) from System of a Downer, it’s called “We Are One,” I’ve never heard Buckethead and found the song to be solid, well delivered and memorable, despite the despicable vocals! The Bronx submitted a song called “Bats!!!,” after that song, I’d love to hear more, Avenged Sevenfold are a band that I recently discovered and they are represented here with a live rendition of their hit “Beast and the Harlot,” I don’t care what some of the metal purists say Avenged Sevenfold sound like a Nu-Power Metal band, the last worth while song is from the mighty In Flames. The track is “Discover Me Like Emptiness,” which I’ve heard is a bonus track from the Euro version of their last release Soundtrack to Your Escape. There you have it 30 numbers, side one scored three solid tracks, disc two faired better at four with four decent tunes! The only thing scary here is that it’s mostly filler…I guess you shouldn‘t be surprised when the selling point is that the roster reads like a who’s who of Ozzfest, Warped Tour and Sounds of the Underground, right?!