10. Mother Puncher
11. Elephant Man

Label: Relapse Records
Release date: 2002
Artist site:
http://www.mastodonrocks.com/
GRADE:
9/10

Juggernaut. That’s the first word that comes to mind when listening to Remission, the follow up to MASTODON’s highly acclaimed debut EP, Lifesblood. Intensely percussive, precision tight like a well oiled machine, MASTODON seethe molten metal. Featuring octopus drummer Brann Dailor and guitarist Bill Kelliher, both formerly of TODAY IS THE DAY, this band forges forward with a brand of metalcore like none other I have ever heard. To say they have diarrhea in the riff department would be an understatement. Displaying a variety of chugging riffs, harmonics, discord and what not thrown in with a screaming vocal delivery, Remission slays. Pure and simple.

To pinpoint actual songs for killer riffs is a waste of time, as each song has at least 10 if not 20! I will make mention of “Ol’e Nessie” though; is it me or does the finger tapping at the beginning reek of Van Halen? I love it! I also like the eerie intro to “Trainwreck,” which provides sort of a calm before the storm vibe for the album before dropping into a dirge like groove. By the time “Elephant Man,” the album’s instrumental epic rolls around, its mellow arrival is welcomed. Believe me, they sequenced this release damn near perfectly.

At the end of the day I gotta say I am glad that TODAY IS THE DAY split as they did or we wouldn’t have MASTODON. Now I get two great bands!

PJ