Mastodon

• Thread starter dirty_fu$$ing_old_bastard
  • Start date
D

dirty_fu$$ing_old_bastard

Mastodon
Leviathan
[Relapse; 2004]

what are they like...I hear good reports...????

Reviews for Mastodon's Leviathan

Write a review for this release.

Even better than Remission - 97%
Written by InTenebris on December 12th, 2004

This is a metal classic to be. It exemplifies every bit of maturity Mastodon has gained since the monumental Remission. The songwriting is well varied and comes together to tell a sonic tale. This album blends doom, metalcore, thrash, sludge and grind. Mastodon manages to make the album give you the sonic feel of being at see with the madman Ahab chasing the white whale. The band is able to flex it's musical muscle especially guitarists Hines and Kelliher, but they never do anything that sounds like a musical extravaganze that goes outside the bounds of the story and the song (and that's a good thing). This album will slowly get under your skin and after a while you won't be able to stop listening to Leviathan. "Megalodon" and "Iron Tusk" are probably the best songs.
It's Mastodon but... - 80%
Written by WinterElegy on November 4th, 2004

Well I must say that although Mastodon isn't the greatest band ever, they are one of the more unique bands out there who is very talented and has good song writing ability. I liked Remission, and I was glad that they managed to somehow create a unique sound amidst the billions of other metal bands out there. Unfortunately I feel that with their Leviathan album, a lot of their uniqueness got watered down and subdued.

This is by no means a bad album. In fact it is a very good album, although Mastodon could have created something far better. On this album it just seems like they became a little more watered down, a little more mainstream and a little less unique. The vocals are now very processed and without their previous rawness, it sounds so much less like Mastodon, and just like some typical band. On the upside, one of the vocalists from Neurosis (my fav band) is one or more of the tracks, which is always a plus. The riffs are pretty simple and the heavy ones tend to blend together, but they still do their mastodon-y lead guitars, allowing one to recognize that this is indeed the mastodon you love. But still, a lot of the clean guitar riffs sound exactly like Remission, and the heavy riffs are either boring and not mastodon-like or they sound exactly like Remission as well. Their songs seem to be more straight foward as well, all being around 3 and a half minutes, whereas last time around they had a variety of song lengths and werent afraid to put lots of different parts into the songs and they made them all fit together well. I give them a lot of credit for making 'Hearts Alive', a 13 and a half minute epic song. Any band that can make a song this long and the song is actually listenable gets credit. Unfortunately it sounds like they borrowed most of the riffs from Remission, but oh well.

Basically, this is a good solid album, but I don't believe it is the best that Mastodon could have made. The guitars are only half mastodon, half generic shit, the drumming is still super badass, but you can't really hear it as much and it doesn't out like it did last time, and the vocals, while very good, just seem a little over processed, thus making the band seem like something other than Mastodon. If you like Mastodon then you will definitely enjoy this album, and i'm sure most metalheads would be able to get into this, but if you are a long time mastodon fan you might find this a little lacking.
Where strides the behemoth indeed... - 95%
Written by krozza on October 6th, 2004

It’s hard to recall a band making such a massive impression in such a short time. Mastodon, like Lamb of God are currently experiencing a huge a wave adoration and popularity. And for good fucking reason too. This band is simply one of the more exciting metal acts in the scene today. For all of Metals pigeonholing genre’s, it’s the bands who, what I like to term, ‘work outside the box’, that make the biggest impact on me. Mastodon is one of those bands.

Mastodon made a tremendous start to their career with the tasty ‘Lifesblood’ ep, which was quickly followed up by the highly acclaimed (by both critics and fans alike) ‘Remission’ disc. High expectations were abound for the mighty ‘Leviathan’. If the band felt any pressure, there isn’t a shred of evidence on this little gem.

The interesting thing with this band is that their style is so hard to describe to the ordinary music fan. We’ve had Math-rock, Metalcore, American Metal, Art-rock, classic metal and technical thrash thrown around. And there is merit in all of those descriptive terms. Mastodon does incorporate those elements. However, I’d prefer to call this band a straight up fucking guitar rock band - Filthy, dirty, bar room rock. When you can’t come up with anything specific, resort to ‘rock’ and that’ll cover it. Still, there is a real esoteric element about this bands song writing in that you’re never quite sure what they’re going to do next.

Understanding that, you know that Mastodon refuse to play by the regular rock establishment rules. This is where ‘Leviathan’ becomes more than a great rock record. It is not a safe album by any means. Having garnered a rather healthy audience via the excellent ‘Remission’, Mastodon could have quite easily churned out a similar sounding album (Remission Pt 2, perhaps) and their fan base would have lapped it up, no complaints. Judging by the experimental, almost progressive nature of ‘Leviathan’ Mastodon has done anything BUT take the easy road. I thought I knew what this disc was going to sound like, because that’s the way most bands work don’t they? They stick to a formula. Quick note: Mastodon doesn’t do formula. Mastodon does curveballs. They take risks. This is a very good thing!

Noting the bands willingness to evolve and try different things, it needs to be stated that Mastodon haven’t become all over-technical or complex on us. Their choppy riff passages have always had the potential to swing towards Dillinger style Math-core, but on ‘Leviathan’, if anything, Mastodon are more accessible than ever. There has been a massive groundswell of hook and melody injected into their song writing – it’s actually allowed more depth to their music. Yet, having said that, they’ve been able to establish a tremendously dynamic dirty rock sound. They’ve become a bit more edgy in a 70’s kind of way; even more metal if you like. Either way, their music, their compositions are fabulously innovative and loaded with charisma and original appeal.

With a sense of melody injected into ‘Leviathan’ songwriting, the vocals have also become an important factor. You will recall ‘Remission’ as a straight red-line vocal approach. Not this time punters. The depth I alluded to earlier is accentuated five fold with both Brent Hines and Troy Sanders combining perfectly between moments of screamo/aggression and ‘cleaner’ sections. Mastodon is now a more varied prospect to listen to vocally, yet never contrived or manufactured for mass consumption.

It’s rather difficult to ignore the captivating and original vibe of ‘Leviathan’. It literally smokes from start to finish. This is a band that stands on it own within a plethora of sound-a-likes. They’re like a metalized Clutch meets Neurosis meets early Metallica meets 70’s style Rush! Whatever you want to call them, they are the bomb folks - A definite Top 10 disc of the year.

**Be quick and lay your metal mitts on the ltd edition version of ‘Leviathan’. Comes in a Gold embossed insert box and contains a bonus 7 track Audio DVD. Three ‘Leviathan’ tracks recorded in 5.1 Surround Sound and four live tracks from previous releases including the monsterous ‘Where Strides the Behemoth’.
The bigger they are… - 75%
Written by vowell on September 21st, 2004

Fresh off the biggest disappointments of my summer, "Miss Machine" by the once innovative Dillinger Escape Plan and "Ideas of Reference" by the band that seemed posed to take over DEP's moniker, PsyOpus. I still had two hopes left to salvage the rest of the year of Metal, I took comfort in knowing that Isis was finishing up their latest LP and that Mastodon's epic concept album would soon grace my ears.

Being a huge fan of "Lifesblood" (which I feel is their most raw album) and "Remission" I expected nothing but the best from "Leviathan." In early August I came across a leaked copy, while I usually shy away from downloading, I couldn't resist. What I heard blew me away, but not in a good way.

Gone were the grinding guitar passages, the drumming consisting almost entirely of fills, the unrefined production that gave a certain edge, the overall sludge that had once oozed from my speakers. All replaced with a watered down, prepackaged, over-mastered resonance, predictable guitar riffs and, to my chagrin, far too many melodic vocals.

From a lot of bands, this would be a crowning achievement, but for a band that has spoiled it's devoted following with some of the best Metal of the last 5 years, it's a mild setback. I salute them for their attempt at putting a classic like Moby Dick to music, it's definitely a display of some musicianship and talent. I also admire their desire to grow both musically and as a band, but change for the sake of changing seems trite. Overall it lacks the focus and intensity of their first two albums.
They've diluted their sound... - 68%
Written by ReapingTalons on September 20th, 2004

Mastodon are back with their highly-anticipated and hyped new album, but are they really back? Gone is the crushing heaviness of 2002’s Remission, gone are the brooding passages culminating in heady explosions of near-incomprehensible but cathartic guitar fuzz, gone are the thick, meaty, satisfying production and riffs. These tenets of the band’s full-length debut are replaced by a thinner and shallower guitar tone, simpler melodic passages with leaner and more streamlined song structure, and ultra-grating clean vocals.

Granted, barring inevitable comparisons to its successor, Leviathan on its own is a solid effort. In diluting their sound for mass consumption, Mastodon have still managed to retain some of Remission’s heaviness, some of its aggravated dementia, some of its effortless stylistic shifts.

The album starts off solid with the punchy, pseudo-thrashy “Blood and Thunder,” which in itself might make new Mastodon fans with its simplicity and straightforward, driving structure, or might alienate old fans for the same reasons. Overall it’s a suitably “Mastodon-y” opener that does well to introduce listeners to the album. Unfortunately, the inferior “I am Ahab” and “Seabeast” follow. The latter contains the wretched new melodic vocals, which will in themselves alienate several longtime Mastodon fans, and both songs are just too aggravatingly shallow to be considered essential to the Mastodon catalogue.

Metalcore-laden “Island” is next. It’s a strong stand-alone song, as well as suitably complex, but the hardcore-soaked style will definitely piss off some connoisseurs of the band. The thirst left by the last song’s inconclusiveness is satiated with Leviathan’s arguable high-point, “Iron Tusk.” This crowd-pleaser harkens back to frenetic numbers such as “Burning Man;” what the song lacks in depth is redeemed by its unbridled ferocity and incendiary drumming courtesy of the ever-amazing Brann Dailor.

The band continues with a blues-influenced song that builds in speed throughout (“Megalodon,” another highlight), and two more songs that draw heavily from hardcore (melodic “Naked Burn” and pseudo-technical “Aqua Dementia,” the former grating and the latter merely unimpressive). “Hearts Alive” is the “epic” for this album, starting slow and brooding but building to an imposing maelstrom of furious (yet calculated) instrumentation; the song pulls of its duty quite respectably while perhaps lacking finesse in shifting styles. We close with “Joseph Merrick,” a decent closer in Mastodon’s familiar “somber, understated ballad” style, this time sounding eerily like a bluesy Opeth.

So, we have a varied mix of mostly positive elements. But, as I said before, the album retains some of Remission’s heaviness; some of its ferocity; some of its complexity. This is not essential Mastodon, nor is it quintessential. While it is a solid record, those looking for a revolutionary release should keep searching.
Adorable - 100%
Written by yentass on September 11th, 2004

After their debut album made such an impact on the metal scene, anticipation grew, and with it the doubt - will they make it? Will they overcome "Remission"?
Now, three years later, Mastodon are back with "Leviathan", which was scheduled to be released in 31'st August, but leaked a couple of weeks before (and, got to admit, I am one of those to take proper advantage of that leak) and supplied the answer to this question - yes, they did it, and did it fucking BIG TIME.

Musicwise, Mastodon remain the good old monster that combines Hardcore/Metalcore with oldschool Heavy Metal and some other influences, with riffs that crush your mind like an accurate hit of a projectile, and sometimes accompanied by a clean guitar, that adds a brighter dimension to the music. But, apparently from "Remission", on "Leviathan" you can find more significant emphasis on clean vocals, a change that is more than welcome by me.
Another aspect that was improved since "Remission" is the sound - now you can hear pretty well that the sound engineer knows his job (not that on
"Remission" it was THAT bad, but anyway) - the guitar sound is clear and not over-"harsh" as on "Remission", and the vocals became less distorted in the mix (that's actually how I explain what the other reviewers claimed to be "different vocal style").

Overall, a great and original album (yet you can find a part that sounds just like "Remission" here and there, but way not too often). It is impossible to put my finger on the best song on the album, all of them are great, whether it's the powerful likes of Blood and Thunder, the "catchy" old school pieces like "Naked Burn" ("Save yourself... Don't wait on me...". Just can't get this out of my head :) or the amazing 100% instrumental guitar ballad named Joseph Merrick - All this combined creates a must have album. I plan to get it as soon as possible, and recommend you all to do so.
HOLY FUCK THEY DID IT - 100%
Written by kbry76 on August 3rd, 2004

Yup, Mastodon's highly anticipated follow up to the amazing "Remission" topped the previous album...who would have thought this could happen? After the breakthrough of one of the greatest albums of its year, Remission, Mastodon toured a shit load and got ready to head back in to the studio to record "Leviathan." All I can say is "wow." How the fuck does a band put out 2 amazing records..in a row...and I mean INCREDIBLE RECORDS. This album picks up where "Remission" left off. The biggest difference you will hear is the vocals...not as much a growl anymore as an eerie low singing voice..mixed with a growl, if that makes sense. The drumming from Brann is fucking amazing once again. This guy is incredible on the kit. Mastodon's classic guitar sound is still here and even better than before! These guys are extremely talented when it comes to their instruments. Did I mention the new vocals kick major ass too? This album is already getting critcial acclaim worldwide before it even comes OUT....Wow Relapse...just wow...

Mastodon's page ~ Leviathan ~ Reviews archives

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=44949

I think they get called metalcore because it's a lable that will sell them. I was critical, but having listened I stand buy this album as something damned good that came out this year. It's catchy, it's got real metal riffs and a musical honesty (and not bullshit emo "honesty") Maybe it's not metal, maybe it's just the best hard rock in years, either way, I recommend it.

Mastodon are heavy metal 100% (and pretty much old school as modern). Leviathan is a masterpiece. It has more influences from Iron Maiden, Motorhead or Venom, rather than anything .... "core". Everyone who says that they are "whatever-core" simply never heard anything from them and just repeats what others told him. Or he is deaf.
"Remission" has more core VOCALS, the music is still metal to the bone.

Hmmm, I really don't like Leviathan as much as I like Remission. I am one of the few naysayers of that album though so it could just be me. I just can't get into the vocals on Leviathan(sounds to much like Motorhead). Remission on the other hand is a masterpiece, a definite must have!!!!

Remission is very interesting and musically intense. The opening track "Blood & Thunder" from the new one is catchy as fuck as well. They're certainly not a Metalcore band by any standards. There's no Gothenburg influence and there aren't any filler-ass riffs.

Mastodon rules us all.

Leviathan is probably the top record of the year for me.

mastodon fucking rules. anyone who thinks its metalcore must have their head too far up their ass to hear properly (not picking on you specifically mah). they seem to get that tag thrown on there fairly often but they really dont have much to do with -core. i think they just got lumped with that becuase the music (especially the old stuff) is pretty chaotic and noisey, but they're missing one key ingredient to metalcore: breakdowns. Leviathan is like, southern rock tinged metal. it owns you like property. GET IT NOW!#@