matchbox twenty or Collective Soul?

I checked out writing credits on quite a few Santana albums last night and noticed he didnt do much of the writing anyhow. Just a guess without using math I'd say somewhere around 25-40% of the songs per album considering the co written songs. While doing so I played "Smooth" a few times and gee, thats a damn good song and very typical Santana, though I if I remember he got no song writing credits. Some spanish name, probably for the music and Thomas for the lyrics... which are good. I also noticed it sounded like one of the very old Santana songs that just had a few repetitive Spanish lyrics could nearly be played over top of each other. Thomas uses great expression and voicing on the song and frankly its just...... so smooth. Like all Santanas great songs have been. Classic Santana guitar playing. Guys I know (young metal heads at one time) pretty much snuffed Santana off 10 - 15 years ago as an "alright" guitar player, changed thier mind after hearing that silky smooth, expressive sound heard on that very catchy song. Sure "radio" killed it but it was a great tune and I know I couldnt get enough of it when it first started getting airplay.

I also found out the song I was talking about "All I Ever Wanted" was recorded in '79 and released on the "Marathon" album. He did get cowritting credits along with two others for the song. Its got a few awsome riffs in it and my buddy played it for me and I couldnt guess who it was because I long since forgot and Santana would have been my last guess. Still its a great tune. Pretty aggressive tune considering some of the other crap that was getting air play in the late 70's.

I see no reason why Santana should starve to death and fade from "stardom" when he can still get out there and open new young ears to his unique way of caressing wood and steel. I applaud him.

:cool:

Razor,dam man, relax, you act as if I'm taking a personal shot at you. I don't care about your musical library, the discussion is/was about Santana's recent mediocre output. And believe it or not, I've never TOLD someone what they should listen to. Differing opinions on these forums keep them alive!! With this "Ultimate" disc, my opinion is Santana's cash-grabbing because he's run out of ideas. Period. Could I be wrong, of course. But, isn't there a possibility I could be right!!

or because the label wanted a greatest hits that covered past the 80's since santana recently had like 6 new and actual hits. if you buy other santana greatest hits/essential releases how many of those songs are actual hits? not many

When I was a "young buck" 12-15 yrs old, I liked most "Pop" music, or what's today refered to as mainstream. It said something to me, I "connected " with it. As we age, I believe our musical tastes shift and change. For me that shift occurred when I first heard; Hendrix, Cream, Traffic, Allman Bros band etc. I've never looked back since. All that "mainstream" music became just horrid drek. And my opinion is that today's "pop" is worse. All of these people, that most on here call musicians, are just praising at the alter of Greed. They are not concerned so much with musical integrity, as they are their earnings. For example, Opeth do more in one song than Nickelback do in an album. And Opeth will compose and produce what "they" want to, not for their record label or fairweather fans. And if you don't like it, then they will say "blow me." Not giving in, staying "True" to themselves and their Art is what's important. Now, that's musical integrity. For me, if a band demonstrates an inability to forge their own artistic impression, then they have achieved a musical death. No integrity= no money from me. And once again, this is all subjective. If I could help some to open their eyes to the "bullshit" the music industry lays on us, I would be a happy man. There's a lot of excellent music being composed and played out there. Take the fuckin' time to investigate. You'll find some really good music outside of the "Non-Metal" forum.

My library has expanded but my musical taste which has always been diverse has not changed one bit

Theres alot of good music on both sides of the "mainstream" fence

There is also alot of garbage.

Many of the highly acclaimed bands contained within this UM forum, I wouldnt get through the first song let alone listen to an entire album or worse yet buy it and be stuck with it

Difference in taste. Period. You either like it or you don't. And you, my friend, believe it or not also ascribe to that theory. As your previous post states. I still contend that you are not looking "deep" enough into the music that's out there. Your loss!!!