SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Whatchu got? @J. @Doom @spikes77 @DarkGift @Cryptos Grimm @Hell Mike @rms

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/SonOfNun/top-35-metal-albums-of-2022/

1. Jade - The Pacification of Death

Jade's "The Pacification of Death" is a stunning accomplishment that demonstrates the depth, complexity, and versatility of Death Metal as an art form...and Death Metal it is. "The Pacification of Death" retains a pummeling core of low, growled vocals, double bass drumming, and heavy riffs while incorporating clean sung and shouted vocals and melodic, atmospheric guitar work. These are well-crafted compositions where the various elements of the Jade sound are woven together masterfully. The seamless transitions between vocal styles work perfectly and provide a unique facet to this band's sound that helps bring them to the forefront. The lyrics are intelligently and thoughtfully penned about topics in history, spirituality, and mythology (particularly East Asian and Mesoamerican). This is not just a great album for 2022, but an all-time achievement.

2. Molder - Engrossed in Decay

Molder has been a true revelation. Linking the past and present, Molder did more than any other band to convince me that there are new Death Metal bands that are not just carrying the torch of the old school but making music at the same level of quality. Their two albums are both instant classics from today's number one Death Metal riffmasters.

3. Eric Wagner - In the Lonely Light of Mourning

A fitting adieu from the legend Eric Wagner. This album brings his career full circle. It is reminiscent of his excellent, recent work with The Skull while evoking memories of Trouble. May his memory be eternal.

4. Cryptic Hatred - Nocturnal Sickness

Cryptic Hatred's debut really snuck up on me late in the year. This album by some talented Finnish teens has not generated nearly the buzz that it should have. These guys have an incredible knack for re-creating the spirit of the emerging Brutal Death Metal scene at the beginning of the 90s. They draw their primary inspiration from Cannibal Corpse circa Butchered at Birth but "Nocturnal Sickness" is not a carbon copy. Cryptic Hatred bring the riffs and are excellent songwriters. Take note.

5. Morbific - Squirm Beyond the Mortal Realm

Morbific has quickly become one of my favorite bands and near the very top of the pile of new Death Metal bands. Coming from the grimy Autopsy school of Death Metal, Morbific thankfully emulates that band's penchant for catchy riffs that linger with you and create memorable songs. Top notch stuff.

6. Last Retch - Sadism and Severed Heads

I discovered the debut album of Last Retch late in the year, but it made it all the way to number five. That is indicative of how much I enjoyed it from the get-go. This is the kind of mid-paced, groove oriented Death Metal that I'm a sucker for. Last Retch's OSDM grooves are laced with perfectly placed leads that set the songs off. I'm reminded of Jungle Rot and the early Six Feet Under albums (which I love).

7. Monasterium - Cold Are the Graves

My top current Doom band is Evangelist and Monasterium are the brother band of that group. They share members, most significantly Michał Strzelecki, who is undoubtedly the voice of Epic Doom today. Cold Are the Graves is a varied album that shows the strength Monasterium has playing in various tempos and styles. Highlights include "The Siege" which has an epic heavy metal vibe and recounts the tragic tale of the Fourth Crusade; "Remembered" - a ballad concerning a man's reflection on death and it's aftermath; and "The Great Plague" which is traditional Epic Doom perfected (ala Evangelist).

8. Grenadier - Trumpets Blare in Blazing Glory

Grenadier have largely succeeded in re-constructing the atmosphere of Arghoslent's "Incorrigible Bigotry," an album that I adore. There was little doubt, then, that this album would be a winner for me. Despite my generally high regard for the album's sound, however, it didn't quite click right away as I felt the urge to just listen to Arghoslent instead. However, repeated listens did reveal that this album has put it's own stamp on the style and the band have crafted some really well-written songs. Highlights are "Commending the Imperial" (which can stand toe-to-toe with any Arghoslent track) and "The Levant Sultanate."

9. Mother of Graves - Where Shadows Adorn

Mother of Graves plays the absolute perfect style of Death/Doom for me. This band is influenced by the Katatonia/Paradise Lost/Novembers Doom school of Death/Doom that is filled with melody and melancholy atmospheric beauty. Keyboards are present and add tremendously to the mood of the album. Listening to this record is a moving experience and this album quickly made it's way into my Top 10.

10. Desecresy - Unveil in the Abyss

Desecresy is another band that has expanded my horizons this year about what can be accomplished in the art of Death Metal. A lot of bands today are striving for a spacey, otherworldly sound and often resort to samples or long ambient passages. Desecresy does not employ and does not need any of those gimmicks. This is a dark, heavy, pummeling album that conveys the same feeling as looking up into the void of pitch black sky at night and smothering under the oppressive vision of infinite, dark, cold, space.

11. Cryptworm - Spewing Mephitic Putridity

This is some real sewer Death Metal - which places this album right in my wheelhouse. Tibor Hanyi has proven he's an adept on Death Metal guitar as each song is a collection of constantly shifting, grooving riffs. These are accompanied by putrid, guttural vocals. The result is a sound very much akin to the album cover - a simple celebration of the core of Death Metal - and that's a beautiful thing.

12. Inanna - Void of Unending Depths

Inanna was one of the biggest surprises of 2022 for me. As you can tell from much of the rest of my list, this is not the mid-paced, groove-oriented, sewer DM that is my forte. Inanna is dense, technical, dissonant, and spacey. Those are qualities I typically either don't care about or actively dislike, yet somehow this album won me over. I think it's because the guys in Inanna are not only impressive musicians, but they are great songwriters and create some beautiful melodies (especially in the lead guitar work). Songs that could easily overwhelm me instead keep me following right along and banging my head. Everything is placed exactly where it should be. Outside of the largely slow-paced "Key to Alpha Centauri," I'm gripped by the record throughout...and that closer "Cabo de Hornos." Damn! What a song. Not only is "Void of Unending Depths" one of the best albums of the year, but it opened the door for me to enjoy other great works from this year such as those of Desecresy and Rotten Tomb.

13. Dream Unending - Song of Salvation

When I first listened to the sophomore album by Dream Unending, I figured "Eh, this is kinda boring - not for me." Of course, I was only half-listening while distracted with other business. This album is a great reminder that being in the right situation and listening intently is key to understanding a record. When I put on Song of Salvation at bedtime, the beauty of the album totally blew me away. There is some stunning, melodic guitar work here that has to be heard. As you may have guessed, I'm generally not a fan of super slow music so the funeral doom elements can be difficult for me, but this is such a varied release that they quickly shift into something else. Any fan of atmospheric Metal should give this a focused listen and hear the layers of beauty unfold.

14. Autophagy - Bacteriophage

As I sorted through the gamut of 2022 releases near the end of the year I discovered some gems that quickly rose to the top. Autophagy's debut is one of them. This album combines a variety of styles from traditional OSDM groove, to slower Death/Doom passages, all nestled within a rather brutal framework. The band is at their best when they pummel at full-speed and then crush you over the head with a meaty breakdown (like in the middle of "Eviscerated Remains"). Some of the slower passages, such as the latter part of the title track are too much for me, but there's not a weak track on the album. Highlights include "Beneath the Moss, Between the Roots" and "Return to Charnal Hall." This band is going places.

15. Jungle Rot - A Call to Arms

Jungle Rot is consistently good. Critics say they repeatedly make the same album but that's not true. Their sound has certainly shifted since Dead and Buried and while I have a slight preference for that earlier sound, new Jungle Rot is still fantastic Death Metal that delivers the groove.

16. Rotten Tomb - Visions of a Dismal Fate

The first thing that caught my ear about this album is the lead guitar. It's exquisite and serves as the perfect contrast to the otherwise dark and murky sound here as it cuts and soars through the climax of songs like "Forgotten Graveyard." Blinded by the light of the solos, the rest of the album took awhile to sink in, but it hits hard, especially in the powerful vocal performance. As a groove aficionado, this is another album (along with Jade, Desecresy, and Inanna) that has me craving heavy, dark, atmospheric Death Metal.

17. Undeath - It's Time to Rise From the Grave

It's easy to see why this album blew up and garnered so much attention. It's great material and well-played. I really dig some of the influence of "The Bleeding" era Cannibal Corpse. Like CC on that album, Undeath has a penchant for creating catchy, almost anthemic Death Metal that translates well to a live environment.

18. Autopsy - Morbidity Triumphant

This is just Autopsy doing Autopsy things. The album definitely has a throwback feeling to the classic first two. Some of the material, like "The Voracious One," is right up there with that earlier work.

19. Trinity - Memories of the Ancient Presence

This is an album that almost no one knows about, but it's quite well done Atmospheric/Epic Doom. The compositions are evocative of early Solitude Aeternus and the album would be enjoyed by anyone who is a fan of that band. Highlights include "The Ancient Presence," "Kyrie Eleison," and "The Fall (Jericho)."

20. Tzompantli - Tlazcaltiliztli

Here's another band/album that continued to elevate my interest in Death/Doom in 2022. Tzompantli often hedges a little closer to the mid-tempo range to thrown down some monstrous grooves which helps create a nice pacing for the album. The uniqueness of this act comes in the form of a commitment to Mesoamerican cultural themes and instruments. These are very well done - especially on the track "Eltequi." I would only like to see the native elements integrated into the Death/Doom a little more seamlessly. This band has an "Unas, Slayer of the Gods" in there somewhere, waiting to be unleashed in the future.

21. Sedimentum - Suppuration Morphogénésiaque

This is a concept album about "how earth will eventually take back it's own land by eliminating every possible form of life on it." And that's what it sounds like.

22. Saxon - Carpe Diem

While I enjoy Saxon's early works, I am primarily of fan of what they've done from "Unleash the Beast" onward. It's rare for a band to excel in their style for so long, especially in the latter years of their career, but Saxon has done that. "Carpe Diem" is another strong release with instant Saxon classics such as "The Pilgrimmage" (an epic song that is a throwback to "Crusader"), the up-tempo "Remember the Fallen," and the atmospheric mid-tempo gem "Lady in Gray" which will enter my Heavy Metal Halloween rotation.

23. Paterikon - The Way Down

This is a very well done Trad Doom album by an Orthodox Christian priest from the South - literally my perfect match. Great doomy riffs with a bit of Southern soul and warm vocals. This was an incredibly cool find and I look forward to supporting this project in the future. I hear CDs will be coming soon!

24. Abysmalist - Vile Possession

For the most part, this album is on the slower side of Death Metal that I can stand, but the songs are well crafted with well placed blast beats and mid-tempo sections that keep everything interesting. If not for the final track (which is largely pointless) and the brevity of the album, this would have rated even higher. I look forward to seeing where Abysmalist goes next.

25. The Chasm - The Scars of a Lost Reflective Shadow

I've never really been a fan of The Chasm, but I've also not spent a lot of time digging in to their discography. As a result, this album took me by surprise. It's a rather straight-forward affair of slicing Death Metal riffs (which is probably why it immediately appealed to me). On the flip side, many of the riffs are quite similar and a little more variation within songs (as in the highlight track "An Occult Gift Responds") would elevate the album even higher.

26. Fleshrot - Unburied Corpse

This is solid sewer DM with excellent grooves and sick vocals. Fleshrot is at their best on punchy tracks like "intricate Dissection" and I'd love to hear more songs in that vein.

27. Phobophilic - Enveloping Absurdity

Phobophilic is not typically the kind of Death Metal that I listen to, but this album really grew on me (especially after I saw the band live). They have a way of making technical riffing still very catchy. Enveloping Absurdity is a very thoughtful album that includes some atmosphere, particularly in the instrumental track "Individuation." The album strengthens as it progresses with the final track "Enveloping Absurdity" best combining the technicality, groove, and atmosphere of the record. Being a simpleton, I might prefer the extra groovy breakdowns of the EP, but this is a great debut.

28. Suppression - The Sorrow of Soul Through Flesh

I enjoy how Suppression throws it back to some of the early technical Death Metal bands and that they seem to be influenced by Pestilence which is not too common among new bands. I prefer the slightly more straightforward sound of the EP (my favorite track from the album is "Self-Eaten Alive" which appeared previously on the EP). Suppression's music can be a bit dense for me, but I appreciate it and there's a lot that I enjoy about this album.

29. Obscene - From Dead Horizon to Dead Horizon

This album really put Obscene on my radar. It is certainly an improvement over their debut which I had been a bit iffy on previously. These guys have one of the more unique sounds of the new OSDM bands and I think that is what requires a bit of adjustment. The vocals are particularly different and interesting but effective for me. There's no denying the quality of the riffs and songwriting on tracks like "Deathless Demigod."

30. Stryper - The Final Battle

I am one of the many fans of later period Stryper. I firmly believe that their best work has come over the last decade - beginning with "No More Hell to Pay." "Fallen" was the heavy, energetic peak of Stryper. The following albums have been more mixed, though still of generally higher quality than the well-known 80s works. One of the weaknesses of those 80s albums, to me, is the overabundance of ballads and sappy choruses. While not as great of a problem on "The Final Battle," it is still an album with a few too many soft moments and it fails to reach the heights of "No More Hell to Pay" or "Fallen."

31. Temple of Void - Summoning the Slayer

This album was a pleasant surprise. Though I love OSDM and Traditional/Epic Doom, I have not been particularly drawn to Death/Doom Metal. What I have begun to notice, however, is that Death/Doom has a number of variants (just as any other Metal sub-genre) and I do prefer some styles over others. I do not particularly enjoy heavy Death Metal riffs played at a glacial pace with growled vocals and little variation or melody. I greatly prefer when Death/Doom bands incorporate some melodic riffs or leads or even other instruments as in the case of Paradise Lost's "Gothic" or Paramaecium's "Within the Ancient Forest." I am a fan of November's Doom's "The Pale Haunt Departure" as well and there are moments on this album that remind me of that gem such as on the highlight tracks "Deathtouch" and "A Sequence of Rot." Releases such as this helped me connect with Death/Doom this year.

32. Inhuman Condition - Fearsick

I'm a huge fan of Inhuman Condition's first album "Rat God." It was probably the first "new" Death Metal album that got me to thinking that there might be current releases worth giving a listen (though Terry Butler's involvement obviously provided the Old School credentials that formed an entry point for me). Fearsick has some bangers that are reminiscent of the debut, especially on the first half which is excellent. There is a decline in quality on the latter half of the album as the songs become less memorable. This release would have benefited from being an EP.

33. The Halo Effect - Days of the Lost

This is what In Flames would sound like if they didn't suck now.

34. Hath - All That Was Promised

I'm not as big on this album as a lot of people are. Blackened Death Metal is not really my style so it took a lot time for me to warm up to this one. My feelings towards Hath are similar to those I hold towards A Hill to Die Upon (another solid Blackened DM band that fans of Hath should check out). While they are obviously talented musicians, there's just not a lot that stands out to me and leaves an impression. The best song is "Kenosis" which has a cool clean vocal break - something that should be utilized more often. Time will tell if this album's promise will continue to unfold for me.

35. Amon Amarth - The Great Heathen Army

Amon Amarth have really blown up over the last decade plus as purveyors of a catchy, groovy melodic Death Metal sound. Their success is well earned and they remain an incredible live act. It's clear that their newer albums are primarily built around their stage show. While albums such as "The Great Heathen Army" are not as well-rounded as their older works, they continue to pump out great live singles such as "Oden Owns You All," "Find a Way or Make One," and my personal highlight "Saxons and Vikings" which would be amazing to see brought to life on the stage with Biff Byford. I don't own any Amon Amarth albums past "Twilight of the Thunder God" (the last essential AA album), but "The Great Heathen Army" has me re-considering.

Top 35 Metal Albums of 2022 (5).jpg

Last edited:
The Chasm - The Scars of a Lost Reflective Shadow
Simply one of the best out there....still

Kvaen - The Great Below
I love this type of stuff. Guitars all over the place with a singular purpose

Stangarigel - Na Severe Srdca
Something about it brings me back to the mid to late 90's when all those strange, new bands would pop out of random no-name countries (Obtest, Negura Bunget, Poccolus, Ha Lela, Skyforger) and I would scramble to get my infidel American hands on a copy.

Stormkeep - Tales of Othertime
Hype warranted

Tchornobog/Abyssal - split
Two 23-minute songs of murky black doom. It pummels me, and I'm thankful for it

I actually don't own any 22 releases...maybe I'll check your lists out, but wasn't happy with anything this year. Unless I'm forgetting something

I had to update my list as I discovered some new things/had things click. That Chasm album ended up making my list. I've never been too familiar with them (I only had one album), but I dug it.

The Chasm - The Scars of a Lost Reflective Shadow
Simply one of the best out there....still

You might check out that Inanna album. Some have compared them to The Chasm. It's certainly not standard DM.

Better late than never :rofl:

Circle of Ouroborus - Autuala / Thurisa (CoO doing their thing ---they have been on a tear after a "dormant" period for them)
Cntmpt - Von Unreiner Willkür
Blut aus Nord - Disharmonium (at this point, I think they're with Abigor as old guard band still releasing excellent and relevant albums)
Stangarigel - Na Severe Srdca ( 90's bm ala bergtatt --excellent stuff)
Ruine - Révolte et Crânerie Paysanne (post punk bm?... do it)
Nechochwen - Kanawha Black
Sigh - Shiki (a nice return to form after their last two albums)
Floating - The Waves Have Teeth (melodic doom/death with bass - awesome)
Sumerlands - Dreamkiller (rocking heavy metal do it)
Nocturnal Triumph - s/t (excellent raw bm)

Late comers that I discovered on some year end lists
Defect Designer - Neanderthal (death/grind with bouncy bass)
Epectase - Nécroses (atmo black with postrock/sludge elements -- )
Morteruine - Le Vieux Jardin (excellent french style bm with sprinkled acoustics & great bass)
Vipère - Douleurs (also raw french bm unhinged vocals with sprinkled acoustics -- extra jangley)

non metal
DIM - Steeped Sky, Stained Light (captivating stuff "dungeon synth" --but beyond most in this style)
Nordein - Etna (beautiful stuff -- will hold me until tenhi releases their album some time this century)

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Spikes77/2022-best/

Reactions: SonOfNun
Better late than never :rofl:

Circle of Ouroborus - Autuala / Thurisa (CoO doing their thing ---they have been on a tear after a "dormant" period for them)
Cntmpt - Von Unreiner Willkür
Blut aus Nord - Disharmonium (at this point, I think they're with Abigor as old guard band still releasing excellent and relevant albums)
Stangarigel - Na Severe Srdca ( 90's bm ala bergtatt --excellent stuff)
Ruine - Révolte et Crânerie Paysanne (post punk bm?... do it)
Nechochwen - Kanawha Black
Sigh - Shiki (a nice return to form after their last two albums)
Floating - The Waves Have Teeth (melodic doom/death with bass - awesome)
Sumerlands - Dreamkiller (rocking heavy metal do it)
Nocturnal Triumph - s/t (excellent raw bm)

Late comers that I discovered on some year end lists
Defect Designer - Neanderthal (death/grind with bouncy bass)
Epectase - Nécroses (atmo black with postrock/sludge elements -- )
Morteruine - Le Vieux Jardin (excellent french style bm with sprinkled acoustics & great bass)
Vipère - Douleurs (also raw french bm unhinged vocals with sprinkled acoustics -- extra jangley)

non metal
DIM - Steeped Sky, Stained Light (captivating stuff "dungeon synth" --but beyond most in this style)
Nordein - Etna (beautiful stuff -- will hold me until tenhi releases their album some time this century)

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Spikes77/2022-best/

I'm gonna check out a couple of these. Has there been anything in the last several years like Empyrium, Agalloch, etc. that I need to hear?

Nice on Epectase. I have both albums. Good to see a mention

And Stangarigel is solid. Thats my kinda stuff

I'm gonna check out a couple of these. Has there been anything in the last several years like Empyrium, Agalloch, etc. that I need to hear?

Im not huge on this sound, but I really enjoy Arkheron Thodol, and I still dig that newest Noltem album.

If you dont mind a bit more folk, I prefer the Ivar Bjornson & Einar Selvik album Hugsja over the more popular Wardruna

Maybe that Downfall of Nur album with the tribal mask guy on the front. Good shit.

Im not huge on this sound, but I really enjoy Arkheron Thodol, and I still dig that newest Noltem album.

If you dont mind a bit more folk, I prefer the Ivar Bjornson & Einar Selvik album Hugsja over the more popular Wardruna

Maybe that Downfall of Nur album with the tribal mask guy on the front. Good shit.
I'll check these out.

Something in the Agalloch/Caladan Brood/etc. vein was released recently that you might enjoy.