NAD's Top 500 Albums of 2005, including a list of 327 Runner Ups

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
in the grand scheme of things, this is nothing new. in fact this album could have easily been created by King Crimson over 30 years ago but, it is still an amazingly crafted slab of loveliness that i absolutely adore. while calling an album "perfect" less than a year after it's release (or decade really) is foolish, this is certainly close. if you pay attention the whole way through without distraction, the closing track is simply one of the most amazing experiences i've uhhh... experienced in a good many years.

Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze
Josh Homme has once again succeeded in creating something that is pretty familiar, yet with a completely unique mood from his other work. this album is absolutely perfect for autumn, and while i do miss Oliveri's booming bass, the creativity was obviously in Homme's hands because this is another great far-above-average rock record.

Meshuggah - Catch 33
not as good as last year's EP, but still awesome and added several dimensions to the Meshuggah sound. and now my lawyers are telling me i can say no more because most others on this forum will have a heart attack that i'm equating Meshuggah to quality music, which to those with any sense, they obviously are.

Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
well this was a pleasant surprise. i didn't believe the descriptions i was given and i didn't even like the sample i heard, but i bought the album anyhow. glad i did! owes a ton to Morbid Angel, but is hardly a clone. this is some organic shit while being completely death metal at the same time, a rare combination especially in a day and age of same old bullshit from a zillion different perfectly talented, perfectly stuck in a rut bands. looking forward to exploring this one deeper, as i've only spun it probably 5 times.

Clutch - Robot Hive / Exodus
my first experience with a band i've been wanting to dive into for over a decade. well i certainly picked a great time to start, this is just some high energy exciting stuff! it's hard to imagine anyone into rock n' roll that didn't enjoy this, big riffs, great vocals, funny lyrics, and a nod to the blues at the end, this is like Rock School 101. pay attention, dicks!

Sunn O))) - Black One
more vocals and more sound effects help create another great experience for a band who, for all intents and purposes, use less variety than the Ramones. this one actually scares me, whereas previous efforts just made me laugh like Chucky.

that's all. Ulver pissed me off for the first time ever. ta.

NAD i'd really like to know why you don't like Blood Inside. I'm sure you explained it, but I missed it.

MFJ's 2005 List

Moonsorrow
Solstafir
Temnozor
Helrunar (#1)

that's about it hahaha

it's a jumbled mess basically. first three tracks are great! the rest just falls flat for me. but i don't hate it, and might someday "get" it, but i sorta doubt it. i was never a huge fan of Svidd Neger either, but do enjoy it. sometimes.

once I was NAD said:
Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze

I just got this for christmas finally, and it does indeed rule. I like the live show on the dvd that just came out too!

Mars Volta on the other hand, pretty much blows from what I've heard

once I was NAD said:
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
well this was a pleasant surprise. i didn't believe the descriptions i was given and i didn't even like the sample i heard, but i bought the album anyhow. glad i did! owes a ton to Morbid Angel, but is hardly a clone. this is some organic shit while being completely death metal at the same time, a rare combination especially in a day and age of same old bullshit from a zillion different perfectly talented, perfectly stuck in a rut bands. looking forward to exploring this one deeper, as i've only spun it probably 5 times.

OK, so after reading that, I do want to hear this at some point. *cough* Love the artwork too.

Is it all spacey like Mithras?

JayKeeley said:
OK, so after reading that, I do want to hear this at some point. *cough* Love the artwork too.

Is it all spacey like Mithras?

No, it's not spacey at all. I'd say, depending on the listener, you could say they are heavily influenced by Morbid Angel, old Sepultura, and Meshuggah. They're probably barely influenced by Meshuggah, but the occasional stacatto riff thing can be heard. They are WAY groovier than Meshuggah.

I would have settled with old Morbid Angel, but yeah, old Sep works the knob end just fine.

And by old Sep, I do hope you mean "Arise" and backwards.

I swear to goat, this better not have any -core in it like that "but they're not hardcore band!" Mastodon.

Sepultura has as much core as Mastodon does. I must be immune to this "core" stuff that everybody seems to pick up on.

As far as I can tell, Gojira contains no core, but I'm obviously not a reliable source.

Erik said:
rule of thumb: nate recommends it, it's hardcore

BAH!

I'm making my weekly recommendation thing SPECIFICALLY non-hardcore.

Also . . . some of my recommendations have nothing to do with hardcore. They are more NOISECORE. In fact, I don't think I own one REAL hardcore album. My "core" albums are more on the noisecore side. Earth Crisis is the closest I have, and it is pure metalcore. I think the term metalcore was invented for Earth Crisis.

JayKeeley said:
OK so when I think old Sepultura, I think "Morbid Visions" through to "Arise".

Arise is where the Discharge influences started surfacing. Gojira has a touch of Arise and a touch of Chaos AD.

They are way different than Mithras. They have blast beats and such, but most of their stuff is closer to death/thrash, I guess.