Terrorizer Top 40 of 2005

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I did a search for this, and I found it at some blog with about a billion other 2005 year-end lists. So don't take this as the gospel. I won't see this issue in the us for at least a month.

40 Taint - The Ruin Of Nova Roma
39 Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
38 Every Time I Die - Gutter Phenomenon
37 Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
36 System Of A Down - Mesmerize/Hypnotize
35 Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will beckon The Thaw
34 The Black Dahlia Murder - Miasma
33 Clutch - Robot Hive
32 Napalm Death - The Code Is Red, Long Live The Code
31 Strapping Young Lad - Alien
30 Ulver - Blood Inside
29 Unsane - Blood Run
28 Capricorns - Ruder Forms Survive
27 Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour
26 God Forbid - IV: Constitution Of Treason
25 Municipal Waste - Hazardous Mutation
24 Reverend Bizarre - II : Crush The Insects
23 < code > - Nouveau Gloaming
22 1349 - Hellfire
21 Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
20 Sunno))) - Black One
19 Gojira - From Mars To Sirius
18 High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings
17 Earth - hex (or Printing In The Infernal Method)
16 Judas Priest - Angel Of Retribution
15 Blut Aus Nord - Thematic Emanation oF Archetypal Multiplicity
14 Sigh - Gallows Gallery
13 Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
12 Witchcraft - Firewood
11 Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
10 Red Sparowes - At The Soundless Dawn
09 Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
08 Candlemass - Candlemass
07 Burst - Origo
06 The Axis of Perdition - Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital
05 Opeth - Ghost Reveries
04 Deathspell Omega - Kenose
03 Cathedral - Garden Of Uneearthly Delights
02 Jesu - Jesu
01 Meshuggah - Catch Thirty Three

lurch70 said:
ok ... Axis of Perdition before Akerckoke ????

Akercocke got AOY last year (or the year before), so there might have been politics involved.

Anyway . . . I'd say Terrorizer usually has more variety in style/genre in their list than most all the other magazines/webzines.

the only 2005 metal releases i bought (very few) are on there.

somebody tell me about that new Burst. i didn't love Prey on Life but thought they were definitely on track with something good.

once I was NAD said:
somebody tell me about that new Burst. i didn't love Prey on Life but thought they were definitely on track with something good.

I can tell you it doesn't come out in the US until February. They've taken a pretty drastic change in direction. They have really added a ton of dynamics and a lot more acoustic guitars. They're still heavy most of the time, but they're kind of doing the Isis thing . . . only in a completely different setting. All reviews I've seen have been excellent.

Nate The Great said:
Anyway . . . I'd say Terrorizer usually has more variety in style/genre in their list than most all the other magazines/webzines.

I remember them mentioning Xasthur in their black metal anthology, that places them worlds ahead of other metal papers. This list is pretty ok too, except I cannot endorse Opeth making the top 10, but then again they're top 3 in most publications...

I don't like the order at all but if you buy 3/4 of them shitz I guess you have a fairly decent amount of good releases. Meshuggah 1st disturb me very much though cause band appreciation aside I think Catch 33 is < Chaosphere or Nothing . Did those make the top .. 5 in the past?

40 Taint - The Ruin Of Nova Roma= Dont know
39 Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine= Sucked balls
38 Every Time I Die - Gutter Phenomenon= Crap Band
37 Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies= I liked this album.
36 System Of A Down - Mesmerize/Hypnotize = What THe Fuck???
35 Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will beckon The Thaw= Dont know
34 The Black Dahlia Murder - Miasma= First album was good, this one is overrated
33 Clutch - Robot Hive=not a nig fan
32 Napalm Death - The Code Is Red, Long Live The Code= Going to see these guys soon
31 Strapping Young Lad - Alien= Awesome Devy deserves all the credit he can get
30 Ulver - Blood Inside=okay
29 Unsane - Blood Run= dont know
28 Capricorns - Ruder Forms Survive=dont know
27 Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour=Kick Ass album shouldve been higher
26 God Forbid - IV: Constitution Of Treason=ehhh okay some of th better metalcore
25 Municipal Waste - Hazardous Mutation= One of the best Oldschool thrash of the year, i love this album
24 Reverend Bizarre - II : Crush The Insects= dont know
23 < code > - Nouveau Gloaming=dont know
22 1349 - Hellfire= My favorite black metal album of the year, I love these guys
21 Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness= not bad nothing special to me
20 Sunno))) - Black One= Havent heard these guys but hear great things
19 Gojira - From Mars To Sirius = dont know
18 High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings= these guys are okay
17 Earth - hex (or Printing In The Infernal Method)= dont know
16 Judas Priest - Angel Of Retribution=Judas Is Rising was awesome, the rest so-so
15 Blut Aus Nord - Thematic Emanation oF Archetypal Multiplicity= dont know
14 Sigh - Gallows Gallery= heard of them, but not this album
13 Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal= thse guys released a great death metal album in a long line of many great death metal albums
12 Witchcraft - Firewood= dont know
11 Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked= not to impressed, kinda faded away
10 Red Sparowes - At The Soundless Dawn= dont know
09 Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone= havent heard this one, use to play the old one on a college radio station with a buddy of mine
08 Candlemass - Candlemass= they returned and in good form
07 Burst - Origo= dont know
06 The Axis of Perdition - Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital=dont know
05 Opeth - Ghost Reveries=not a big opeth fan, their okay
04 Deathspell Omega - Kenose=dontknow
03 Cathedral - Garden Of Uneearthly Delights= Ive actually never been able to find any of their stuff
02 Jesu - Jesu= heard good things but havent heard it
01 Meshuggah - Catch Thirty Three= I stopped listening to these guys after Chaosphere

No one cares what I think , but I was bored.

Wow, a list that doesn't list the new Nevermore in the top 10? I have no issue with that, but still, I thought the majority of the underground world (any genre/any fan type) went gaga over TGE. Surprised Terrorizer didn't.

JayKeeley said:
Wow, a list that doesn't list the new Nevermore in the top 10? I have no issue with that, but still, I thought the majority of the underground world (any genre/any fan type) went gaga over TGE. Surprised Terrorizer didn't.

They actually gave it a 10/10 in their review, but that was just one individual.

I'm like the resident Terrorizer expert.

You have to realize that ALL MY LIFE I have never been around another individual that actively listened to the music I do. For some reason I was always drawn to it. So Terrorizer was the ONLY means of finding new music for me . . . until the internet came along. It's safe to say that Terrorizer completely shaped my listening habits. Probably 75% of what I listen to was recomended highly in Terrorizer. I'm too old to change all that now, though. I guess I'm stuck being superior to everybody else around here.

terrorizer is also the reason i started listening to metal. then this dumb forum.

btw, terrorizer loves opeth