Terrorizer Top 40 albums of 2005

MadeInNewJersey said:
Did we just read the same thread? Because YOU'RE the only person in that thread to slag the vocals, except for birkenau, who has since drastically changed his tune (the linkage WAS from March, y'know).

Oh, you must have missed the last post then. Conveniently....:Spin:

shit, I actually DID miss it, sorry

Still, that makes 2 people who've brought up disliking the vocals as a reason why this album doesn't own. I'm not saying you have to like it, of course not, but search around the 'net a bit...your opinion is in the vast minority on this one (not necessarily a bad thing). Just sayin'

MadeInNewJersey said:
shit, I actually DID miss it, sorry

Still, that makes 2 people who've brought up disliking the vocals as a reason why this album doesn't own. I'm not saying you have to like it, of course not, but search around the 'net a bit...your opinion is in the vast minority on this one (not necessarily a bad thing). Just sayin'

Oh I know, you're right this album was very well recieved. That was the reason I listened to it so much even though it never grabbed me. I gave it more of a chance than most albums and still it's never grown on me, I just don't enjoy it.
I don't understand how Primordial get great reviews and people wanking over them yet are seen on here as a great band, when Akercocke are seen in the same way as CoF and Dimmu Borgir despite selling no albums. :erk: Why the double standards?

unknown said:
Deathspell Omega is the only band that got close to what it deserves on that list. Quite surprised to see Axis of Perdition ANYWHERE on that list (it was a fucking cool release, but I didn't think any mags had reviewed it).

Otherwise, in my opinion, that list is nonsense.

Couldn't agree more:D

As for Akercocke, I won't make my final decision on them until I hear the new album..

unknown said:
Deathspell Omega is the only band that got close to what it deserves on that list. Quite surprised to see Axis of Perdition ANYWHERE on that list (it was a fucking cool release, but I didn't think any mags had reviewed it).

Otherwise, in my opinion, that list is nonsense.
yeah tons of Mags reviewed it... I think Terrorizer gave it a 9.5(Tied for album of the month with Meshuggah)

Stormwatch said:
Oh I know, you're right this album was very well recieved. That was the reason I listened to it so much even though it never grabbed me. I gave it more of a chance than most albums and still it's never grown on me, I just don't enjoy it.
I don't understand how Primordial get great reviews and people wanking over them yet are seen on here as a great band, when Akercocke are seen in the same way as CoF and Dimmu Borgir despite selling no albums. :erk: Why the double standards?

I can't really answer that, b/c I actually dig the more recent offerings from CoF and Dimmu, and am not all that keen on Akercocke. *shrugs*

Phrozenspite said:
yeah tons of Mags reviewed it... I think Terrorizer gave it a 9.5(Tied for album of the month with Meshuggah)

really? wow o_O

I'd love to see them live (whenever they make up their minds as to when they're doing it)

Hilarious thread.

But all of these opinions go right the fuck over my head because I've only heard of 14 of these bands, and have heard a total of 1.5 of the albums.

Stormwatch said:
Hate Eternal aren't even on that list. And Primoridal are boring shouty rubbish. Terrorizer is the only music mag I buy as it's the only one that covers proper metal - but every issue is about 60% shit and the reviews are awful. Half the time they don't even seem to talk about the albums merits, instead rambling on about fuck all. They also said Mithras were the next huge UK metal band, on a scale with Maiden. Ha ha, what a fucking laugh!

1) Hate Eternal are more over rated than the Emperors new nude suit. Boring.

2) That particular Primordial album is great. Epic, vast landscapes of sound with a despondent folky edge. What's not to like?

3) Terrorizer is at least 60% shit, and I agree, the reviews are, at best, the ramblings of people bored of listening to music. Don't like music ? Move on and let someone who does review.

4) Mithras. See point 1, but more so.

wheres Deathchain-Deathrash Assault probably the best album of the year for me that and Ghost Reveries by Opeth which obvioulsy is on the list

What exactly is this top 40 list judged on? I don't read Terrorizer that much (only when I find it on someone else's coffee table which is rare indeed), however last time I picked up a copy I saw they gave Nevermore a 10/10 review yet This Godless Endeavour which is at 27 on this list... does that mean that all the bands from 1 - 26 also got a 10/10... no indeed it doesn't. So what is the criteria I ask?

...Remember that score is based on ONE reviewer and the top 40 is based on the entire staff of Terrorizer. Therefore the others might not have liked it as much, making it lower than some albums that had a lower score.

WHERE IS ALTERED GENESIS? And where the fuck is Once Was Not? It doesnt even get a mention. Also what about DT's Character? Still the best top 40 i've seen for last year, a lot of really excellent stuff there.

Shiny McShining Rodriguez said:
What exactly is this top 40 list judged on? I don't read Terrorizer that much (only when I find it on someone else's coffee table which is rare indeed), however last time I picked up a copy I saw they gave Nevermore a 10/10 review yet This Godless Endeavour which is at 27 on this list... does that mean that all the bands from 1 - 26 also got a 10/10... no indeed it doesn't. So what is the criteria I ask?

I don't know, but any magazine that puts pretentious tosh like Jesu at number 2 blows for fun and profit. So what if it has Justin Broadrick ? IT FUCKING SUCKS!!!

Oh, IMO(1).

(1) In My Opinion, which means I don't want a whole flame war, especially as I don't care what you fucking think on the subject.

Pull The Plug said:
...Remember that score is based on ONE reviewer and the top 40 is based on the entire staff of Terrorizer. Therefore the others might not have liked it as much, making it lower than some albums that had a lower score.

WHERE IS ALTERED GENESIS? And where the fuck is Once Was Not? It doesnt even get a mention. Also what about DT's Character? Still the best top 40 i've seen for last year, a lot of really excellent stuff there.

I can see why altered genesis is not on the list. I enjoy that album, but it doesn't really stick out, kind of like Bolt Thrower. They are just damn good death metal.

I think Once Was Not definatly should be on there.