NAD's Top 500 Albums of 2005, including a list of 327 Runner Ups

Nate The Great said:
BAH!

I'm making my weekly recommendation thing SPECIFICALLY non-hardcore.

Also . . . some of my recommendations have nothing to do with hardcore. They are more NOISECORE. In fact, I don't think I own one REAL hardcore album. My "core" albums are more on the noisecore side. Earth Crisis is the closest I have, and it is pure metalcore. I think the term metalcore was invented for Earth Crisis.

I give you credit for recommending Watain to me, as well as Witchcraft, so you get a pass for all the crap. ;)

There are some, but I think it's more of a whatever-fits-the-song thing. It's not like Dillinger, for sure. I like how they get on a riff and stick with it for a while. Mastodon NEVER does that.

JayKeeley said:
OK I'll still check it out anyway. I'm not THAT closed minded. :loco:

Btw, is it filled to the brim with sick breakdowns?

Dude ... hahahahha ... listen to an old fart like me.

Think Morbid Angel ... but a hell of a lot more simpler ... throw in some Voivod like trippiness in some tracks (actually I never heard ANY band come so close to sounding like Voivod as these guys) ... and add some ... I don't know ... hardcore.

Fuck Mastodon and Messugah ... Gojira is far more accessible and instant.

Although Ali ... for some reason I don't think you will like them.
They are however very easy to like :loco:

Sepultura? WTF? :lol:

Nate The Great said:
I like how they get on a riff and stick with it for a while. Mastodon NEVER does that.

yes ... they definetelly drill riffs into your head.

MadeInNewJersey said:
I'm sure I'd hate them.

they are definetelly modern and use their influences in such subtle ways ... that it makes them almost totally original.

but there is definetelly a very modern vibe about them

lurch70 said:
Think Morbid Angel ... but a hell of a lot more simpler ... throw in some Voivod like trippiness in some tracks (actually I never heard ANY band come so close to sounding like Voivod as these guys) ...

Going at it furiously....

...and add some ... I don't know ... hardcore.

...and the husband walks in.

Nate The Great said:
There are some, but I think it's more of a whatever-fits-the-song thing. It's not like Dillinger, for sure. I like how they get on a riff and stick with it for a while. Mastodon NEVER does that.

I'm a bit confused by this...I think Mastodon, while full of constant tempo shifts and breakdowns, are a lot more coherent in their approach than DEP, I can't really picture them doing something like Hearts Alive, which does give the riffs time to develop (though I do think DEP doing longer, post-hardcore songs would kick ass.) And I don't hear too much -core influence in what I've heard of Gojira's latest, which isn't much but that will change.

The Mars Volta have about as much in common with King Crimson as I do with looking like Brad Pitt.

I didn't mean Mastodon was less coherent than Dillinger. I just used the two bands in sentences close to each other.

DEP is WAY more scattered than Mastodon. Mastodon is perfectly coherent to me.

Dick Sirloin said:
The Mars Volta have about as much in common with King Crimson as I do with looking like Brad Pitt.

It's not the most accurate comparison, but I hear echoes of the Larks-Red period all over their music, and if Fripp isn't one of the primary influences upon Omar's guitar playing, than I was the one who knocked up Angelina. :)

well i'm glad another KC-o-phile hears what i hear in Mars Volta. :p

but yeah, Gojira. i don't really hear any Sepultura in there, but i don't hear any hardcore either. some Mithras, but that's more because both bands were heavily influenced by Morbid Angel.