RC Top 5 Albums of 1982

ChaosLee

Formerly Necromunchkin
Nov 9, 2008
Arizona
Let's reboot this motherfucker.
(Metal Archives list of releases for 1982)

What are the definitive slabs of musical excellence? 1982 was a huge year, and I would argue the last truly significant year for the NWOBHM.

Absolute essential, 10/10 buy or die listening for me:

1. Iron Maiden "Number of the Beast"
The first album with Dickinson in the fold, and the first pinnacle of commercial success. Those old fucks of us can remember seeing "Run to the Hills" getting played on a still-new MTV. Yes, they actually played music videos on that channel once, even metal. They were strange, different times...

2. Judas Priest "Screaming For Vengeance"
The best Priest albums were their 70s releases for my money, but this is particular album is among the absolute finest work of the 80s. That said, I would pay money to not actually hear "You've Got Another Coming" ever again. But cuts like Riding on the Wind, the title track "Screaming.." and The Hellion/Electric Eye are epic tunes.

3. Witchfinder General "Death Penalty"
This is another NWOBHM band that just seems to get under-recognized. This album rocks form the opening cut to the end. Also, these guys seem like they were having too much fun for their own good on that album cover.

4. Tank "Filth Hounds of Hades"
I admit, Tank is a band I really didn't discover until a few years ago. And I can sort of see how some of the criticism that this album has too-obvious Motorhead influence might put a few people off, but goddamn this thing is rockin', bangin' excellence. Listen to "Shellshock" and tell me that does not cause fist-pumping.

5. Manowar "Battle Hymns"
Manowar have become a caricature of themselves over the years. But their debut stands among the very best.

And... non-metal favorite albums of 1982, just 'cause (no write ups)
The Misfits "Walk Among Us"
Bauhaus "The Sky’s Gone Out"
Dead Kennedys "Plastic Surgery Disasters"
Discharge "Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing"
Christian Death "Only Theatre of Pain"

:Smug: Now fucking post!

The only two 1982 albums I adore:

Cat People Soundtrack
Misfits - Walk Among Us

[/Sirloin post]

[/Sirloin post]

Nah bro, I know music from BOTH genres!

MISSION OF BURMA - Vs.
IRON MAIDEN - The Number Of The Beast
PETER GABRIEL - Security
THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT - Eye In The Sky
THE BIRTHDAY PARTY - Junkyard

This right here is the reason "music" was invented

Last edited by a moderator:
There's only three albums from 1982 that I owned, so there's only three I will rate:

1. Manowar - Battle Hymns
2. Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
3. Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance

None of these albums require description or justification, as all three are pillars upon which the genre is built.

there's so much less stuff released in 1982 than you would expect there to be EDIT: because your link is fucked up. if you specify a month range, you only get results with months specified. many of these only have "1982" as release date so you're missing all of them.

anyway

not enough albums but plenty of singles and demos

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Gotham City - Gotham City/Killer Angels 7" (!!!!!)
Zone Zero - Win or Die/Evil Dream 7" (!!!)
220 Volt - Prisoner of War/Sauron 7" (!!!)
Jonah Quizz - Demo '82

also:

Seventh Son - Man in the Street/Immortal Hours 7"
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty

Witchfinder General were highly influenced by Black Sabbath and rode in on the NWOBHM. They were well known for featuring topless witches on their album covers...
Sold.

I'm bumping old threads because I'm killing time before having to drive 90 minutes (each way) for a 30 minute gig tonight. Plus we don't have a drummer, so it will be prog/metal with a programmed drum track. Neat, hey? For Those About To Rock, We Use iPuds.

This was the thread that got me to buy Witchfinder General, and that was a lot of fun without much further consequence. It also got me to finally, fucking finally pick up Number of the Beast. As someone who didn't get into Iron Maiden until maybe 5 years ago, I feel that I must post my Johnny-come-lately review:

Iron_Maiden_-_The_Number_Of_The_Beast.jpg

This album is so good it fucking hurts.
--Adrian Smith