Matt Barlow Replaces Tim Owens

hvymetalchik

Will work for heavy metal
Oct 22, 2007
San Antonio, TX
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: YES, ladies and gentlemen, it's true.

ICED EARTH's Jon Schaffer has issued the following announcement:

Hello Dear Friends!

Once again the winds of change are upon us, and this time I can say that I am very happy about the result.

While out on the European tour I had several in depth discussions with many loyal Iced Earth fans. A common theme of these discussions was how much Matt is missed. I agreed with the fans that things were not the same and that it was a very special period in Iced Earth’s history.

When I heard several months ago that Matt was going to be doing a project in music again, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his intentions were. I didn’t act on this because I was so focused on the writing of the new epic, and frankly, it just didn’t seem realistic.

Well, after getting out on the road and speaking with many of you directly, I decided to call Matt and see how he was doing and if he was interested in working together again. I am proud to say that he is coming back to Iced Earth and we will be getting back to work in the studio very soon.

Matt will be singing on Part 2 of the Something Wicked concept CD and we will be looking forward to getting out on tour and delivering a series of Iced Earth shows that will rival any in the history of the band. And there will be a proper DVD filmed from this period, something we’ve all been waiting for.

I want you all to know that it was you who made this a reality. I have missed Matt’s presence onstage and in my personal life in a big way over the past few years, so I appreciate your honesty in our discussions. It did help me realize the decision to move forward with pursuing this. The fans have spoken and we have delivered!

You true fans know that I’m a straight shooter, I say what I mean and mean what I say. And though I value your opinions greatly, you must believe that this is a decision that comes completely from the heart and is not motivated by anything other than what feels the best for Iced Earth. This is the way that things have always been dealt with, for better or for worse, but always honestly and from the heart.

Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level.

There will be more news soon as to further developments and plans. This will push back the release of Part 2 a bit. Not because we couldn’t be ready to record in time, but because of a new addition to Matt’s family in early 2008!

I am very happy to announce that Iced Earth is truly BACK!

Have a great holiday season. We’ll be in touch very soon with more details.

Jon Schaffer

http://www.bravewords.com/news/79423

My first reaction was disappointment. Like hearing Horror Show for the first time. Oh well. Shaffer will probably get Barlow to re-record Part I and then release a 2cd in 2009.

Yeah. A fucking letdown for me. :mad:

barlow is great, but so is tim.
in iced earth i definitely prefer matt but what is tim going to do now?is he going to go on with beyond fear of what?i hope not, that album only had one good song on it.i hope he can find a great band where he is appreciated and dont have to replace a popular singer so he gets fired once again after a few years.

what is tim going to do now?is he going to go on with beyond fear of what?i hope not, that album only had one good song on it.
I would recommend giving Beyond Fear more of a chance. There are quite a few good songs on there. Perhaps put on a few albums on shuffle/random so you don't know when the Beyond Fear tracks are coming and can enjoy them without any particular expectations.

I highly doubt Ripper would want to fill someone else's shoes in another established band ever again :lol:

I would recommend giving Beyond Fear more of a chance. There are quite a few good songs on there. Perhaps put on a few albums on shuffle/random so you don't know when the Beyond Fear tracks are coming and can enjoy them without any particular expectations.

I highly doubt Ripper would want to fill someone else's shoes in another established band ever again :lol:

My husband likes the Beyond Fear CD. :kickass:

Beyond Fear is better than Framing Armageddon or Glorious Burden by a long way. FA was a load of shit, and I expect the 2nd part will be even worse. It won't even make sense, having a 2 part concept album with different singers? WTF is that all about?
Iced Earth suck, they suck even more now. Something Wicked was a great album, even the first album was good, but everything else is shit.

I saw this today, 10 minutes ago and I exploded in a tempest of emotions instantly. I have wished for this for four years. I have believed this would happen for four long years, I have not lost faith although it looked bleak for a while. I am more than willing to admit that I am crying now because this is the happiest moment in my life. I have never been more moved than than the collected moments that I've heard Matts voice and the news I got today was just one big relief. Like 200 pounds of stone had been lifted from my shoulders. I am absolutely ecstatic about this, and I am so looking forward to part 2 of Something Wicked now. I have believed... Thankyou Jon. Thankyou Matt. I love you so much.

Personally, I'm glad for Barlow's return. Ripper has never been my cup of tea. Sure he's a great singer, but it never did it for me, which meant I've been alienated from Iced Earth for a few years unable to get past the vocals. Now that Barlow's back I can truly enjoy the band again.

actually you were right!gave it a few more listens and it has grown quite alot on me.still not a great album but it is definitely worth taking out now and then.:)