Matt, recording question

RichS

none
May 19, 2008
Hey Matt, how many tracks of rhythm guitar are on a typical song? For instance, for a verse, is there just one hard left and one hard right? Or do you do 2 tracks left, 2 tracks right?

Also, what EQ settings do you generally use for the kick drum?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

It totally depends on the album or project. In Metal, 2 tracks and 4 tracks are both pretty common. For super-technical, fast stuff, 2 is more likely just because of how difficult it would be to get 4 tracks that tight. On Mirror of Souls, there are 4 tracks of rhythm guitars; two on each side, one pair with the Krankenstein and one pair with the 6505+.

Kick drum EQ just totally depends on the sound you're starting with and what you want to achieve. In general, kicks will have a lot of muddy low-mid buildup, so I'll almost always pull some frequencies out somewhere between 250-500HZ. I usually sit the low end of kicks down around 65 HZ or so, and sometimes I'll add some more EQ up top if I need more slap or attack to the sound. Beater attack usually happens anywhere between 2.5-4.5 kHZ (even up to 6 kHZ sometimes). Finally, I sometimes add a little air way up top around 10 kHZ or so.

But again, no rules--just depends on the sound I'm starting with and what it needs to sound like in the end. :)

Thank you Matt for the information. I can assume that you rehearse your parts until you know them perfectly in order to do multiple tracking. I have noticed a chorusing in some multiple guitar tracking due to not being super tight in playing.

Thanks for the EQ settings too!

It totally depends on the album or project. In Metal, 2 tracks and 4 tracks are both pretty common. For super-technical, fast stuff, 2 is more likely just because of how difficult it would be to get 4 tracks that tight. On Mirror of Souls, there are 4 tracks of rhythm guitars; two on each side, one pair with the Krankenstein and one pair with the 6505+.

Kick drum EQ just totally depends on the sound you're starting with and what you want to achieve. In general, kicks will have a lot of muddy low-mid buildup, so I'll almost always pull some frequencies out somewhere between 250-500HZ. I usually sit the low end of kicks down around 65 HZ or so, and sometimes I'll add some more EQ up top if I need more slap or attack to the sound. Beater attack usually happens anywhere between 2.5-4.5 kHZ (even up to 6 kHZ sometimes). Finally, I sometimes add a little air way up top around 10 HZ or so.

But again, no rules--just depends on the sound I'm starting with and what it needs to sound like in the end. :)