Question for Matt *Studio*

RichS

none
May 19, 2008
Hi Matt, In your latest video (Japanese bonus track) you mentioned 2 takes of each amplifier. Peavey and the Krank.

It seems you put 3 microphones on the cabinet you are recording. My questions are as follows.

Do you record each mic on it's own track, or blend all 3 to one?

What microphones are being used, brand, model etc. ?

Thank you and keep up the great work!

I guess everyone has taken a look at this thread except Matt. I sure hope he has time to reply.

Hey Rich..........Obviously I'm not Matt. But, it appears that the 3 mics are an sm57, an Audix d4, and a Cascade Fathead ribbon mic. I may be wrong about the last 2 but from what I can tell by the video, that's what they look like to me. I've asked Matt some studio questions too and got no reply. I'm sure he's very busy right now. Hopefully he can shed some light in the near future. :)

Hey Guys--
Sorry for the delayed responses...I’ve just now gotten a little time to catch up...

Hi Matt, In your latest video (Japanese bonus track) you mentioned 2 takes of each amplifier. Peavey and the Krank.

It seems you put 3 microphones on the cabinet you are recording. My questions are as follows.

Do you record each mic on it's own track, or blend all 3 to one?

What microphones are being used, brand, model etc. ?

Thank you and keep up the great work!

Rick got it right...Shure SM57, Cascade Fathead and Audix D4. Just because of the way my setup is now, I have to record them to individual tracks and then blend them together after that. You can get a great sound for Metal with just an SM57, and that’s how I often do it. In this case, the SM57 was probably 85% of the sound. The other two mics were there just to fill in a little something extra; the Fathead gave a bigger bottom and a little more depth, and the D4 is somewhat similar to a Sennheiser 421 in frequency response, which is why I was using it (I don’t have a 421 at the moment). It’s got a lot of that kinda spiky thing around 3K going on like a 421 does. Blended in subtly, it can add some nice bite to the sound.

I borrowed a pair of those Fatheads for this session, and used them for drum room mics, on the guitar cab, and also (in response to your other question, Rick) for the gang vocal session (since I don’t have an omni or figure-8 pattern mic at the moment). They worked pretty well, though they were wired 180 degrees out of phase from the other mics above for some reason....but, they were in phase with each other at least.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Thank you Matt, yes this helps out a lot. :)

And thanks to beechstudio as well for the help!